Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2004, 19:07   #1
wrenrj1

Laptop won't boot up, HELP!

We have a Dell Latitude 600 laptop that hasn't been used in some time. My wife was gonna give it to someone so she was gonna take off anything that she had on the computer.

Upon booting up the message "Invalid system disk, Replace the disk, then press any key." There is no disk in the floppy drive, which is a drive that can be taken out and replaced with the CD ROM drive. I've tried rebooting without this drive inserted to no avail.

Any ideas of what may be wrong and how to fix it? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2004, 21:58   #2
NetNinja
Always Faithful

Well if you haven't booted the Laptop in some time and it seems like an older model the Hard Drive may have crapped itself out.

No Biggie.

Just pull the hard Drive and have the person you are going to hand it to buy themsleves a replacement HD.

Turn it over and look for a Cylinder looking Icon.
It will most likely be by the Ednge of the Laptop.

Unscrew the One screw that is holding the tray and slide it out.
unscrew the Hard drive from the tray and throw it out.

Put the HD tray back into the Laptop and screw it in.

WaLa!

Now to get yourself a replacement HD go to www.prcewatch.com and look for laptop Hard Drives. 2.5 inch.

Depending on the laptop model and what type of processor you are going to be limited on how large a replacement HD you are going to need.
I think if it's a pentiumII you may be limited to 20GB hard drive.

If you have a Pentium III processor get yourself a 40GB. I think you will be fine on that.

Now your choice of OS (operating System) may be limited to the speed of the Processor.
400Mhz is pushing it on a 400Mhz or below model for Windows 2000.

If you are thinking of putting XP on the Laptop you may SOL.

Good Luck
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match

Last edited by NetNinja; 11-09-2004 at 22:09..
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 22:41   #3
kevfan

You might want to make sure that in the BIOS, the Hard Drive is still an option. If the laptop was not run in a long time, it may have it's BIOS set back and possibly could have lost it's hard drive settings.
kevfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:42   #4
wrenrj1

How do I get to the bios to determine if settings are correct? I can get into setup.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:00   #5
klmmicro

Send a message via Yahoo to klmmicro

Hit F2 as the system first starts booting booting. That will dump you to Dell's bios screen. We had a laptop here do the same thing. Apperantly the bios battery went dead and Dell told us we would have to leave the unit OFF while it charged for 24 hours. Then we would need to reconfigure the bios.

*10 Ring, MBR and Reloading Clubs: #436*
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 18:56   #6
wrenrj1

Funny thing is, is that my wife plugged it in she tells me and it worked for a while. It's when she turned it off, then came back to it is when this started. I'll leave it plugged in till tomorrow and see what happens. I can get into the bios with no problems, but don't know what I'm looking for when I get there. It still shows the floppy, HD, then the CD rom as the first thru third in booting up if that has anything to do with it.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:33   #7
greenlead

Quote:
Originally posted by wrenrj1
Funny thing is, is that my wife plugged it in she tells me and it worked for a while. It's when she turned it off, then came back to it is when this started. I'll leave it plugged in till tomorrow and see what happens. I can get into the bios with no problems, but don't know what I'm looking for when I get there. It still shows the floppy, HD, then the CD rom as the first thru third in booting up if that has anything to do with it.
this is going to sound like a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway:
Did your wife shut the computer down properly? If you shut it down while it is writing to the hard drive, you have the chance of messing up data on the drive, including the MBR (Master Boot Record), which tells BIOS which operating system to start.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:51   #8
wrenrj1

The wife is not shure, however she doesn't recall doing anything differently than normal. She works at a computer most of the day.

Still no results after letting it charge up. So, am I hosed? or is this something that needs to have everything installed again and it'll be up and running? i.e. is this now a hardware or software issue?