SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2004, 20:48   #1
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Any "bird people" here?

I always thought I hated birds. Did some research and ended up with a baby cockatiel about a month ago. My little attack bird ;f

I have been amazed at how cuddly and affectionate they can be. If I wasn't in an apartment, I would have gotten a Cockatoo. They're like neurotic needy dogs with wings, it's totally crazy.

I'm seriously considering selling a couple guns to finance the purchase of an African Gray parrot. They told me I wouldn't go long without wanting another. Problem is, when that happens with guns I can trade... it's hard to trade a bird!
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 23:37   #2
Screaming .357G
598ci big block

Send a message via AIM to Screaming .357G
Birds can be great, this is my GF's bird playing with my cat.
They get along and dont try to eat or tear each others eyes out like you would think;P
Old 11-04-2004, 05:58   #3
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

I love 'tiels!!!!!!

Looks like you have a Pied cockatiel there, or a Pearl..I have a hard time telling the difference.......a cross between a grey and a yellow.......

GOOD CHOICE!!!!!!

Get him/her on pellets. Seed is not nutritional as the pellets, and there is less mess and less waste with pellets because they eat it all. I found my birds were fuller looking and heavier and had gorgeous feathers with the pellet diet.....they only got seed as a "treat"....

The males are more vocal than the females, but they seem to be equally loving. I had a grey male 'tiel back in 1994 and when I got a female "white face" 'tiel "Sam" the male got meaner than a junk yard dog.....he was masturbating on the perch and would make these weird squacking noises when doing so.....he would come at me beat open and several times sliced right thru my fingers like a razer.....it was unreal. I ended up giving him to a avian vet tech who had some females and she thought she could use him as a breeder......it's sad too because he was such a sweet bird before I got that female.

That female lived with me in Utah and when I came here to Atlanta she came with me. She still lives out in east Atlanta, after I got cats I gave her to some friends who had a whole mess of male white face 'tiels and she wants nothing to do with the males (white face 'tiels are the most expensive ones and more rare).....she just is content to sit on someone's shoulder and loves people. I loved her (her name was "Matilda")......

You know how to tell the difference in the males and females right?? females have a larger breast....and are not as vocal and in the grey and white face varieties the females have "banding" or stripes on the underside of their tail near their vent.

I have had fed baby Quaker parrots before.....what a fun job that is, those little guys learn to trust you, and it is sooooooo sweet!!!

I have 2 cats now and I do not think I can get another bird any time soon. Enjoy that baby, they live for a while (not like a parrot, but for 15 years I believe with good care and food). Go to petsmart and check out the pellet selection and read how to switch your bird over to them from seed......

Last edited by ATL Peach Girl; 11-04-2004 at 06:03..
ATL Peach Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:12   #4
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

My friend Wendi & her husband have 2 birds right now. They used to have 3--two tiels and an African Grey that came from them via the Memphis Zoo. He'd been being too agressive with kids at the zoo so they gave him up. Wendi's husband is an ornathologist so he was the perfect candidate for the "rescue bird".

They also have a cat and two dogs.

The Grey is REAL talkative. His name is Bogey. He imitates Wendi calling the dogs and calls them over to his cage. She told me that last Christmas he threw a hissyfit because one of the radio stations stopped playing Christmas tunes following the end of the holiday.

Wendi's tiel is about 10 years old, his name is Ernie. Wendi's husband had a bird named Jenga but she died about a year ago.
SouthernGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:54   #5
Miss Maggie

My brother had a pair of African greys on a covered porch outside his living room. They were beautiful birds, but extremely loud. You could hear them all over his house. He raises cockatiels and parakeets as a hobby and is starting a line of tiny parrots (pirolets sp?). His wife has trained parakeets to say several phrases. They are amazing little creatures.
Miss Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 15:46   #6
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Quote:
Originally posted by ATL Peach Girl
I love 'tiels!!!!!!

Looks like you have a Pied cockatiel there, or a Pearl..I have a hard time telling the difference.......a cross between a grey and a yellow.......

GOOD CHOICE!!!!!!

Get him/her on pellets. Seed is not nutritional as the pellets, and there is less mess and less waste with pellets because they eat it all. I found my birds were fuller looking and heavier and had gorgeous feathers with the pellet diet.....they only got seed as a "treat"....

You know how to tell the difference in the males and females right?? females have a larger breast....and are not as vocal and in the grey and white face varieties the females have "banding" or stripes on the underside of their tail near their vent.
ATL: I bought him when he was 4 weeks old and still being hand fed by the breeder. It killed me to not take him home, but I visited a half-dozen times over three weeks until I could take him. His colors are awesome; that coupled with him perching on my belley and burying his head in his feathers made me choose him. Actually, he chose me if the truth be known!

I have seen his particular coloring written three ways: pear, pied, and pearl pied. If he is a boy, after his first molt he will lose the pretty yellow adn revert to "standard" 'tiel coloring. If he is a girl, he will maintain the beautiful coloring but be less likely to talk. In the meantime, I was told that DNA sexing was required to determine.

He is on a (Roudybush) pellet diet with 1 teaspoon of seed every other day. Much to my suprise, he shows very little interest in millet or fresh food. We're hanging out by the laptop now, and he's tearing up a seed/pellet mixture.
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
Old 11-04-2004, 17:35   #7
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

Roudybush is a good food!!

I forgot the brand I used, it was multi colored and smelled like Fruit Loops!!!

Glad you have him on pellets, they are sooooooooo much better for birds!!! My birds loved millet sprays too, but yours doesn't like it huh?? Mine also liked corn and peas.....the frozen ones, I would soak them in warm water and then drain them and give them to the birds......they loved that!!
Old 11-05-2004, 21:47   #8
JesseCuster
Army Dude

Send a message via AIM to JesseCuster
Some of our flock....

Lahlo, Mollucan Cockatoo.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

[img]http://www.threehorses.homestead.com/files/lahlo_speen_**********[/img]

Wowwie, Congo African Grey.

Tango, Sun Conure.

Abigail, Medium Sulphur Crested Cockatoo.

Cockatoos can be 'needy dogs with wings' but if you learn about their behaviour first and are very careful, they can be great pets. If you give them too little or too much attention, they can become a nightmare but we've been very lucky with both of ours.
Old 11-05-2004, 22:11   #9
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Jesse: Beautiful birds!

I really want a smaller Cockatoo but I'm afraid it would still be too loud for apartment life. I would like a bird larger than a Cockatiel which could be classified as "cuddly" and would do well in an apartment. And advice? Thanks...
Old 11-06-2004, 04:29   #10
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

i LOVE birds...

my dog would totally go after one though...

not to mention, the pooping all over issue...a friend of mine about 15 years ago...his parents had a couple parrots...they were freaking awesome, but they flew all over and pooped while they did it!

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:24   #11
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

Jesse!!!!!!!!

what great birds you have!!!!! Always wanted a Cockatoo.....the smaller variety.

What kind of vocabulary does that Grey have??? I have heard and read that they have the IQ of a 5 year old child and some of the ones that have been worked with can solve simple math problems and know colors etc......
Old 11-06-2004, 08:50   #12
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

ENDER: It is possible to "potty-train" birds. With positive reinforcement, once they are settled into a new home, they will basically "poop on command" because they figure out they have to do so to come out of the cage for quality bonding time. Mine is only 2-1/2 months old and he has only pooped once out of the cage, and I usually keep him out for 30-90 minutes at a time. He was on my shoulder for quite some time and started getting a little restless. He flew off to the table, pooped (where it was really easy to clean up) and returned to my shoulder. Now THAT is consideration!

I hear that when they REALLY fall in love with you, they may puke on you since that's what they do for their mates. No way around that one... ;f
Old 11-07-2004, 05:37   #13
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

obxemt...???

Subscribe to Bird Talk magazine.......you will learn alot in there, lots of articles on 'tiels.....

Pick one up in Petsmart or Petco and then if you like it, get it mailed to ya. I had it coming to my place when I had birds. I get Cat Fancy now......
Old 11-07-2004, 08:45   #14
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

I've been a happy BT subscriber for a few months now.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:04   #15
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

Quote:
Originally posted by obxemt
I've been a happy BT subscriber for a few months now.
most excellent!!!!!! ;a
Old 11-09-2004, 17:45   #16
Frostback

My "feathered child" just turned 10 the other day. I got Chester when he was only 10 weeks old. I take him to the local gun shops and even the indoor range when weather permits. He is very laid back for an African Grey, and well socialized. He has let 6 year old children hold him (as long as I am right there).

Frosty
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:19   #17
kristiansen
Birdwatcher

Good Morning Guys and Gals! I'm a member of the Wild Bird Club of the Philippines.If any of you out there will flock on this part of town for some birdwatching,just give us a shout! or check out our website ; www.birdwatch.ph