GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2004, 21:46   #1
Grabbrass

Any household item methods to repair CD?

My kid (I'm gonna kill him) went out playing with one of his Gamecube games in his jeans pocket. Now it has a cloudy ring of tiny micro scratches all around the outer perimeter on the "read" side and the 'Cube says it can't read it. These are not deep gashes, but only very light rub marks.

I know there are disc repair kits sold that buff out such damage, but I don't want to spend $20 to fix something worth $20. I thought I might try a paper towel and moistened toothpaste, but it'll be a lot of work with no idea whether it'll actually work.

Ideas? And, should I be extra careful to try to buff only going straight out from the center, or since I am basically only polishing, can I go around the perimeter in a circular motion?

Waste of time?
Old 11-10-2004, 00:31   #2
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Is this a coincidence, or what?

Not three hours ago, my GF comes out of the TV room with the Bourne Identity DVD that she rented from a local shop; she told me it wouldn't play and was worried she might be liable for the damaged disk's replacement.

No wonder it wouldn't play...there was a spot on the disk that looked like someone had dropped it on a gravel driveway and then stepped on it a couple of times. I checked the label side for scratches, since that's the most delicate part of the disk; luckily no light shone through anywhere.

I grabbed the Flitz and a dry paper towel and went to work.

See, Flitz has finer abrasives in it than toothpaste has, and can be used for polishing fiberglass, plexiglass...and polycarbonate!

I used my finger and a small dab of Flitz, and proceeded to polish the damaged 1/4 of the disk, beyond the scratched area to keep that spot from wearing too much, back and forth from edge to center (being sloppy about it), and I continued polishing until I could feel no more roughness. It took less than 5 minutes.

I rinsed the DVD off in the sink, and wiped it dry.

Not only was the disk pristine in appearance, but it played perfectly as well.

That is how I take care of damaged optical media, and it works. I'll use Crest in a pinch if I'm out on a call or at a friend's place, though!

Good luck, and check the label side first! If you can see light, you'll need some Chrome paint from the hobbyshop.

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. This was a rather sucky movie, from a firearms viewpoint at least....the director apparently believes that a silencer somehow quiets a supersonic bullet to >phut< levels just by resting against the outside of the barrel! Seriously, in at least two scenes, a 'sniper' removes the can from the rifle only to reveal - you guessed it - a FULL-LENGTH, SOLID BARREL.

Gotta love HollyWeird.
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 17:21   #3
Grabbrass

thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.