GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2004, 11:46   #1
Nalapombu

Building New Puter..How Do You Load the OS??

Hey all,

This may sound dumb, but bear with me. I remember when I built a few computers several years back with Win95 that before you could do anything you had to first have DOS installed and then you would install drivers for the CDROM drive. You would have to have the MSCDEX (or some such file) in the autoexec.bat file to get the CDROM to work. After you had that loaded you could then use the CDROM drive and load the OS.
I now understand all of that has changed. Someone told me that you have to install the hardware and change the BIOS to where the machine will boot from the CDROM drive and when it does that you insert the OS disc and begin installing the OS. My question is how do you get the CDROM drive working in the first place? Do you not have to install drivers for it? I am guessing that DOS is no longer a part of the operation so what do you do with the CDROM drivers? If no drivers are installed via floppy, then what makes the CDROM drive work?
Just curious....

Thanks for the clear up.

Nala
Old 11-12-2004, 12:37   #2
klmmicro

Send a message via Yahoo to klmmicro

The drive will be recognized by the BIOS and you will not have to load any external drivers to access it.

In order for BIOS to boot for the drive, you will have to set the CDROM to be recognized in the boot order BEFORE it gets to the HDD. I do not know what BIOS you have, it varies from MB to MB so I cannot get more specific that that right now.

*10 Ring, MBR and Reloading Clubs: #436*

Last edited by klmmicro; 11-12-2004 at 12:45..
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 13:11   #3
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
The BIOS will use a set of "generic" drivers that will allow data to be extracted from the CDROM. The drivers that you are thinking of are drivers that tell the OS how to interact with the CDROM but since you are accessing the CDROM prior to the OS coming online they are a mute point.

Just set the BIOS to boot from the CDROM before the HDD and insert your favorite flavor of Linux and rock and roll.

Ooooops. I meant that you can use the WinXP install CD too if you really think you want to. ;f
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 17:04   #4
Nalapombu

Thanks for clearing that one up fellas. I had been aggravated by that for a while and now I'm not.
When I do start building my system I have a feeling I am going to be wearin' out the Tech Forum and those that prowl here. Heck I may end up running a bunch of 'em off.
Since when did the BIOS come with instructions already built in to recognize a CDROM? This is all a LONG way from the good ole DOS days...

Nala
Old 11-12-2004, 17:47   #5
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally posted by Nalapombu
Since when did the BIOS come with instructions already built in to recognize a CDROM?
Bootable CDROMs have been around since the late high-end 386s. They've been standard since somewhere around '95ish.

Drop the first CD in, boot the computer and answer the questions ;f

DanH
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 20:46   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Bootable CDROMs have been around since the late high-end 386s. They've been standard since somewhere around '95ish.

Drop the first CD in, boot the computer and answer the questions ;f

DanH
I remember building several Win9x computers, and needing the MSCDEX.exe file that the original poster referring to. Matter of fact, I used it everytime until I built a PC on WinMe. That file would always be copied when you made a Win9x boot disk. Maybe it was an unnecessary step, I don't know.

Regardless, nowdays its not necessary, as everyone has said.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 05:19   #7
bambihunter
10mm collector

What OS were you trying to install?

Somewhere around here I have a floppy that I made a nice little automation process (all with *.bat files) that will ask, then format the drive, then copy over all required CD-ROM drivers needed for most systems, then install the basic system files. I think I've got one of those for Win95, Win98, and Win98SE.
If you're interested I can dig it out. There's no complex programs so you can check the files yourself for signs of virus. I just kept doing the same processes over and over a lot years back so I automated it.
bambihunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:32   #8
WFO2

When I do a WIN98 box I boot for a boot disk ( floppy) then I make a directory called WIn98 and copy the CD there . Then I remove the CD and install it form the HD that way it never asks for the cd . On XP I boot from the cd and format NTFS quick ......
WFO2 is offline   Reply With Quote