SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2004, 19:57   #1
ANeat
Got Pb?

Recommended study guide for Extra Class

Hello everyone; Ive been in and out of the ham radio stuff a couple of times. Ive recently renewed my license (general class) and have been kicking around the idea of getting a radio again. Well I discovered that I dont need code now to upgrade to extra class
I was one of those guys that just learned enough code to get thru tha general test (13 wpm) and then promptly forgot it;g

So since extra class is only a written test away what is a decent study guide for me to brush up on the questions that may be asked.

Thanks; Adam (KB8VSC)
ANeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 21:11   #2
TaxCop

The Gordon West study guides are pretty good and not too expensive. They go through the complete question pool and give a good explanation for the answer. The ARRL study guides are also good as well and will also go through the question pool and answers as well, however the first half of the book is the review of the theory that the question pool is derived. The ARRL book will be a few dollars pricier, but you get much more info and references in it. If you want to learn the theory and then apply it to the question pool, go with the ARRL book, if you want to get familar with material and the answers, get the Gordon West.

There are also several good sites to take online practice exams which are great for confidence builders. The best one is www.w8mhb.com The tests they generate will be pretty much the way you will see them on test day. They will rearrange the answers on the site which you will see on the actual test as well, but not on many of the on line practice exams.

Hope this helps

TaxCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 22:47   #3
SgtStop

Send a message via AIM to SgtStop
Adam,

I'll make you a deal if you haven't already bought the Gordon West guide... I'll mail you my copy that I used on the condition that you either: A) Send it back so I can send it out again, or B) Agree to pass it on to someone else looking to upgrade!

You can either email me at sgtstop@charter.net or ak9c@charter.net.
SgtStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 23:12   #4
greenlead

Quote:
Originally posted by SgtStop
Adam,

I'll make you a deal if you haven't already bought the Gordon West guide... I'll mail you my copy that I used on the condition that you either: A) Send it back so I can send it out again, or B) Agree to pass it on to someone else looking to upgrade!

oooohh! I want in on the deal; I've heard good things about the Gordon West series. I just got my Tech license, and I should probably get ready to upgrade sometime soon!
Old 11-22-2004, 03:51   #5
BrianDamage
YouTalkin'ToMe?

Send a message via Yahoo to BrianDamage

I thought the morse code test was only good for an upgrade for 1 year ? Is that only if you take it as technician ?
BrianDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:53   #6
ANeat
Got Pb?

Quote:
Originally posted by SgtStop
Adam,

Ok Sarg; Email sent;f

Adam
Old 11-22-2004, 14:21   #7
k8ysv
Thecakeisalie.

Send a message via Yahoo to k8ysv
Quote:
Originally posted by BrianDamage
I thought the morse code test was only good for an upgrade for 1 year ? Is that only if you take it as technician ?
It's a little confusing. The theory test is only good for a year if you have no code. For instance, if you currently hold a Tech License but have not passed the 5WPM code test, but go out and pass the General theory test, the General CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination) is only good for 12 months. You can pass the General theory anytime in the next year and get your upgrade.

All current licenses have have as a requirement or can make use of the same code test (5WPM). If you have a Tech ticket and pass the 5WPM exam, it's permanent. You would then become a "Technician with code".
GT Niner's Club #51
OAF #BR549
chown -R us ./base
k8ysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 20:49   #8
ANeat
Got Pb?

Quote:
Originally posted by TaxCop
There are also several good sites to take online practice exams which are great for confidence builders. The best one is www.w8mhb.com The tests they generate will be pretty much the way you will see them on test day. They will rearrange the answers on the site which you will see on the actual test as well, but not on many of the on line practice exams.

Hope this helps

Thanks TaxCop; I just tried a test and got 64%, not to bad really
A little studying and think I will be OK

Adam

Last edited by ANeat; 11-22-2004 at 20:52..
Old 11-25-2004, 06:15   #9
SgtStop

Quote:
Originally posted by greenlead
oooohh! I want in on the deal; I've heard good things about the Gordon West series. I just got my Tech license, and I should probably get ready to upgrade sometime soon!
Greenlead, I'll make you the same deal as I made with Adam... Email me your address, and I'll get the General guide out in HOPEFULLY Friday's mail. Only condition is that you mail it back when you are done with it, so others can share too!

Dave
AK9C

sgtstop@charter.net
OR
AK9C@charter.net
Old 12-04-2004, 13:28   #10
ANeat
Got Pb?

Thanks Dave for the study guide. I passed my extra test today;a

Dave; Ill be sending you book back to you on Monday.

Thanks; Adam
KB8VSC soon to be something shorter
Old 12-08-2004, 05:16   #11
SgtStop

CONGRATS!!!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 13:48   #12
ANeat
Got Pb?

Thanks again everyone, the study book and the suggestion about the online practice tests helped a lot.

Got my new call today AB8TR , certainly sounds better than KB8VSC which was always a bit of a mouthful and a little confusing;P

Ill try it out for a while before deciding to go with a vanity call or not

Adam