Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:19   #1
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

G21 Da Vinci Code

Not anywhere close to finished yet, but the writer has a Glock 21 with 13 rounds in Chapter 15. Pretty close for a writer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:42   #2
bluemeanie
Lospeedhidrag

Send a message via Yahoo to bluemeanie

I've stopped short of writing to complement writers who do at least 5 minutes' worth of gun research before including a gun in the plot.
In recent memory, only T. Jefferson Parker and Stephen Hunter have failed to irritate me.
Phillipians 3:12-14
bluemeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 00:17   #3
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Finished Code tonight.
Pretty good.
Interesting weave of fiction, myth and history.
Enjoy.
Old 12-18-2004, 17:03   #4
Generalcarry
NRA Member

This "post" reader of the Di Vinci Code has a G21 with 12 in the magazine and 1 in the tube in the nightstand as we speak.
Just ordered Brown's first book that was prior to, but along the same vain, as the D. Code.

Last edited by Generalcarry; 12-19-2004 at 03:49..
Generalcarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 22:32   #5
Another19

Quote:
Originally posted by Generalcarry
This "post" reader of the Di Vinci Code has a G21 with 12 in the magazine and 1 in the tube in the nightstand as we speak.
Just ordered Brown's first book that was prior to, but along the same vain, as the D. Code.
I read Angels and Demons before The DaVinci Code, and liked it better. There are a couple of referenced to the events of Angels and Demons in The DaVinci Code, but it doesn't matter what order you read them in. I'm interested to see which book most people enjoy more. I may have liked Angels and Demons better because it introduced me to the character and Dan Brown's style of writing. It seems the first I read is always the best, regardless of which was written first.
Another19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 23:36   #6
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

I liked A&D better.
Hard to put my finger on why however.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:44   #7
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Everyone I've talked to says the first one is the best. I graduated for a small Catholic school 40+ years ago and still see a few people (47 in my HS grad. class) and there are a couple who are still mad at me for reading it. I guess the older you get the less chance you want to take at ticking off the Man.
I ordered Dennis Brown's 1st two books as well. I read the 3rd book (Sacred) and now I would like to follow the correct order as it seems his previous books are used for reference. So many books so little time! I volunteer at the library where I live so I get some great deals but, the books I think I'll be keeping, I like to get new. Kinda like buying a new car!
I also ordered Leo LaPorte's almanac and a couple Tower of Power CD's.

Last edited by Generalcarry; 12-21-2004 at 05:48..
Generalcarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:03   #8
Dexters

Quote:
Originally posted by Another19
I read Angels and Demons before The DaVinci Code, and liked it better. There are a couple of referenced to the events of Angels and Demons in The DaVinci Code, but it doesn't matter what order you read them in. I'm interested to see which book most people enjoy more. I may have liked Angels and Demons better because it introduced me to the character and Dan Brown's style of writing. It seems the first I read is always the best, regardless of which was written first.
I haven't read the "DaVinci Code" yet but I have read "Angels and Demons". It was a good read up until the end. I found 3 points that weakened the story. It was awhile ago so I don't remember the names
1. It wasn't explained how the priest (ass't to the pope) found the perfect asassin.
2. It wasn't explained how the priest decoded the Illumiatti infomation that took some good researh and great knowlege of the hero.
3. The hero's jump out of the helicopter, how he did it and what he did next - was a bit much.

After reading "Angels and Demons" I can understand why it wasn't published until after the "Code".
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:34   #9
Glockgirl26

DaVinci Code was awesome, a real page turner. Angels and Demons was great too. Dan Brown's other two books were good, I would recommend all of them.
Old 12-29-2004, 23:07   #10
Number 6
We Take a Peek

is it just me because the guy that wrote "davinci" (dan brown?) is easily one of the worst writers i ever slogged through. the premise of the book was interesting but i kept getting the vision of a guy beating on a piano with a hammer because he couldn't play...
Airline Captain
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 23:50   #11
Another19

Quote:
Originally posted by Number 6
is it just me because the guy that wrote "davinci" (dan brown?) is easily one of the worst writers i ever slogged through. the premise of the book was interesting but i kept getting the vision of a guy beating on a piano with a hammer because he couldn't play...
This is the first time I've heard anyone say they didn't like it! It was so interesting (even if not completely accurate) and fun that I didn't really even notice if he is a "good writer". But, my definition of a good writer is pretty simple - one I enjoy reading.
Old 12-29-2004, 23:53   #12
Another19

Quote:
Originally posted by Dexters
I haven't read the "DaVinci Code" yet but I have read "Angels and Demons". It was a good read up until the end. I found 3 points that weakened the story. It was awhile ago so I don't remember the names
1. It wasn't explained how the priest (ass't to the pope) found the perfect asassin.
2. It wasn't explained how the priest decoded the Illumiatti infomation that took some good researh and great knowlege of the hero.
3. The hero's jump out of the helicopter, how he did it and what he did next - was a bit much.

After reading "Angels and Demons" I can understand why it wasn't published until after the "Code".
I agree that there were weaknesses, but for some reason I didn't care. Usually I can't continue to read a book that has holes or things like the jump from the helicopter. I think maybe it was the history that was intermingled with the story that kept me turning the pages. I'm not sure how accurate his historical facts were, I guess I'm going to have to do a little research to find out.
Old 01-10-2005, 22:32   #13
sheglocker

The most fun part of reading The Da Vinci Code is to go to Dan Brown's website after. There's some fun little "challenges" that you can do. It helps to have a copy with the cover in front of you.

http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday/davinci/

Another good book by him, but totally different, is Digital Fortress. It's one of those so real it's creepy kind of books. I think you can read about it on his site, too.
Old 01-10-2005, 22:53   #14
Hummer
Big Member

If I recall correctly, the one reference in the DaVinci Code to palming the Glock included something like, "I released the safety on the Glock pistol". When we heard it my wife looked at me and we both smiled.

Hummer
Hummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:54   #15
Medpilot 2
Smkumifyagotum

Send a message via AIM to Medpilot 2 Send a message via Yahoo to Medpilot 2
I'm currently on page 70 of Da Vinci Code and enjoying the book so far.

I was in the store the other day and picked up a book called The Da Vinci Deception. The caption on the back describes how Dan Brown blurs the lines between history and fiction and distorts the truth.

I haven't started this one yet, but is anyone familiar with it?
Medpilot 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:17   #16
Generalcarry
NRA Member

I think I saw the DVD in Blockbusters, but have never read the book.
Old 01-16-2005, 14:36   #17
Trsnrtr

Quote:
Originally posted by Number 6
I agree. I read the DaVinci Code last year because I got it cheap and it was popular. Since my wife knew I read it, she assumed I liked it and bought me Angels and Demons. I just got through A&D... barely... I almost threw it away a couple of times.
Trsnrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 19:14   #18
jason10mm
NRA-GOA-TSRA

Da Vinci Code had lots of cool history (how much is true though? I'd really like to know if Venus really makes a pentacle every 4 years), but the plotting and the characters are a joke. That British guy was ludicrious and the incredible intricacy of the initial set-up was laughable. If the curator could set up all those clues while bleeding to death, he could have just mailed a letter instead.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 21:08   #19
Dexters

The sad aspect of this book is what is says about the US reading public. It has been on the New York Times best sellers list for many weeks.
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 22:10   #20
Another19

Most people who read do so to be entertained. A book can be entertaining while being fantastic.

Plus, he couldn't have mailed a letter. He was locked in a part of the museum. Anything he left would have been found by whoever got there first.