Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-20-2004, 05:24   #1
sbstudley

I need help on choosing a new point and shoot

The wife came home today with an error message on her Pentax point and shoot (film) that told her that the camera was "defective" so she took it to the camera store and they told her the camera was not worth the price that it would cost to fix it. We paid $300 for this camera just six years ago and it is so outdated compaired to new models that she was told that she could buy a better camera today for $60

So...... I need your advice for a new point and shoot. I want a quality product that we will get great pictures from, it need to be compact so my wife can throw it into her purse yet have good optics.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 11-20-2004, 08:51   #2
hwyhobo

Film or digital? If digital, then new Canon and Olympus cameras are nice. Plenty of choice. For film, I use only one (or "used") - Olympus Stylus Epic and its brother Stylus. I don't know of any point and shoot camera in that general price range that comes even close in quality. At one time I had four of them.
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:19   #3
RBR

Maybe it's time to join the digital age. Try looking at some Canon Digital Elfs if looking for very compact (other manufacturers have something similar sized). They won't have much of a optical zoom and I never bother with digital zooms. Really kind of depends on what you want to shoot pictures of: that will help determine what features & size you need.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:37   #4
chip00

I also like the Olympus brand Stylus point and shoot 35mm cameras.
Most are water resistant which is a big plus for me. The lens quality is nice and the cameras are nicely designed.

The new digitals like the Canon ELPH series start at about $300 if you are considering such. The results are better is you manipulate the images in your computer before having them printed by Walgreen's.
(Just bring in your memory card.) And you just print what you want in the quantity you wish.
Old 11-21-2004, 17:38   #5
thinkfast

Fuji

There's probably not too much difference in the remaining 35mm P&S cameras today. I just picked up a Fuji 120v. Zooms from 38-120mm, and takes decent telephoto shots as long as you use 400 or 800 ISO film.

The pictures come out sharp, with good color balance and detail.
It's impossible to take a techically bad picture with it, and that's what I look for in a pocket camera. Also like how it takes 10-12 rolls on one litium battery.

Nice camera for 85.00.

Wolfcamera.com is selling them for 80.00-if you order 20.00 worth of batteries /film, you're over the 100.00 threshold for free shipping. Just a thought...and yes, this 80.00 camera does what my lost 4 year old 239.99 camera did!

35mm film quality is better than ever-and the fact that Walmart/Walgreens/Kmart sell the film, batteries, and processing is a plus. I talked to the photo mgr at a Kmart & she said 35mm processing isn't going away-the equipment is durable, paid for, and profitable.

Prepare yourself for the "digital is better" onslaught to follow...(tongue in cheek)

Last edited by thinkfast; 11-21-2004 at 17:46..
thinkfast is offline   Reply With Quote