Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-21-2004, 23:14   #1
Camel_G19

How much is it worth? Goldwing

I've got an 83 Goldwing that has 1172 original miles on it. Its the standard model with a sidecar. Its in excellent condition just with a few blemishes from sitting for 20 years.

I got it a few years ago when it had 81 miles on it, replaced the actuator pump in the carbs along with the basic get her goin again cleaning and fluid changes. Took it for a few spins, but lets face it, i'm 22 and I don't want to ride a Goldwing. My current ride is a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior and its a damn good bike.

Anyway, I see wings that have had a lot of use going for around $2000. I realize this isn't a rare bike or anything special, but i'd hate to let it go for that little when its in such good shape compared to those going for $2000.

So what do you guys think, ask more than $2000 or am I going to just have to be happy with whatever I get?

Last edited by Camel_G19; 11-21-2004 at 23:21..
Camel_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 23:35   #2
Compy
CompensateWhat?

Bluebook lists it at $2300 (without the sidecar).

If you aren't in a rush to sell it, set the price a little high and see what kind of offers you get.

Or keep it for those special occasions when you have 2 hotties with you
Old 11-22-2004, 06:36   #3
norton

Re: How much is it worth? Goldwing

Quote:
Originally posted by Camel_G19
I've got an 83 Goldwing that has 1172 original miles on it. Its the standard model with a sidecar. Its in excellent condition just with a few blemishes from sitting for 20 years.

I got it a few years ago when it had 81 miles on it, replaced the actuator pump in the carbs along with the basic get her goin again cleaning and fluid changes. Took it for a few spins, but lets face it, i'm 22 and I don't want to ride a Goldwing. My current ride is a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior and its a damn good bike.

Anyway, I see wings that have had a lot of use going for around $2000. I realize this isn't a rare bike or anything special, but i'd hate to let it go for that little when its in such good shape compared to those going for $2000.

So what do you guys think, ask more than $2000 or am I going to just have to be happy with whatever I get?
I see you live in Indiana. Bad time of the year to sell a bike. Only bargain hunters in the market now. If you can wait until spring, it should bring more dollars for your wing.
BTW, what kind of sidecar?
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 20:07   #4
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Why did it sit for 15+ years with only 81 miles on it?

I assume the original tires rotted away?

Was it kept garaged the whole time?

Full fairing/trunk/boxes?

Any other details?

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member

Last edited by Texas T; 11-22-2004 at 20:10..
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 21:45   #5
Camel_G19

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas T
Why did it sit for 15+ years with only 81 miles on it?

I assume the original tires rotted away?

Was it kept garaged the whole time?

Full fairing/trunk/boxes?

Any other details?
My grandpa bought it new in 83. For some reason he got the standard model (no fairing) and got the sidecar so my grandma could ride along. He drove it one time and then it sat in his garage until about 3 or 4 years ago when he gave it to me.

The original tires are still on it, and aren't dry rotted or anything, but I didn't feel safe riding on 20 year old tires for the few miles I put on it.
Camel_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 23:13   #6
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

If you're in a giving mood, you might want to consider a donation to the AMA museum. It'd probably be worth more to them if it still only had the 81 miles on it though.

Someone just donated an original Kawasaki ZX from the mid-70's with just a few miles on it.

But I'm sure someone would like to buy it from you come Spring time. You could always take some good photos, set a high reserve and post it on eBay to see what kind of interest it generates.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:06   #7
G36pilot

Also post your ad with:

Gold Wing Road Rider's Assoc.
United Side Car Association Classifieds

Agree with the previous posts that:

1. Mostly bargain hunters are in the market now. Wait until Spring and even "impulse purchasers" will come out of the woodwork.

2. Ask a higher price for your rig. It sounds like you've got a nice one there. Check out the value of the sidecar alone and add it to the basic bike's resale value. You may not get a premium for the already assembled rig, but it'll help move it. Having the mounting brackets installed and aligned will be a big selling point.

I had an '85 Interstate with a Friendship 1 sidecar for a few years. When this slightly used rig (40k mi total/couple hundred on sidecar) came on the market I snapped it up for less than the cost of a new sidecar and kept my original bike.

G36pilot
G36pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:09   #8
G36pilot

PS

Welcome to the Moto Club Camel_G19!

G36pilot
G36pilot is offline   Reply With Quote