Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-26-2004, 11:35   #1
Pa Glock guy

Accountability

Id like to know what your fire dept does for accountability on the fireground. I work for a career dept with 112 guys in easter Pennsylvania and we have implimented measures for keeping tracking of the guys on the apparatus and at fires. At the start of the shift we have to put our name tage on a velcro strip in the cab of whatever piece youre assigned to that day. The bosses all carry daily rosters of where everyone is working and what pieces there on. The city also purchased individual pass alarms for everyone that if they alarm it knows whos alarm went off. We also have pass alarms on all SCBA's. And finally, all the apparatus have green colored traffic cones that have the piece number and a velcro strip that is placed in front of the buidling and you have to remove your name tag and place it on the cone and when you exit the building you take it off. Were also assigned 26 to a shift and theres usually 20 to 22 guys working at any time so were not talking about 200 guys at a fire. Does anyone do any of these things or a combination of theses? In saying its not good to be safe but I think weve gone overboard!
Old 11-26-2004, 14:14   #2
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

I work PT as a town FF. When we come in we write our name on the daily board, place our gear on the engine, and put our acountability tag (plastic tag with you name on it, diffrent colours for diffrent position such as support/FF/officer, velcro backing on tag) on the vehicle ICS board (small ten inch square board that has basic ics info on it) and go to work. Our area has a brad range from fully vol depts, and then combo depts that range from one full time guy to an entire engine. My dept has one FT on each shift (three shifts) and slots for two PT FF's, so we roll a three man engine if we are fully staffed. All of the chieft carry the big ICS boards and the idea is that all of the smaller ICS boards off of every vehicle end up on the chiefs big ICS board. During a woring fire there are PAR checks every ten to twenty min. It is by no means a perfect system, but in our area it seems to work ok.

Bringing me onto another issue

All of these tags county wide are supposed to have the velcro loops on them. Well some idiot in our dept put the hooks on the back of his tag, thus the tag would not stick to the board. One of our Capt's (full time guy) was just made the dept training officer and in terms of day to day activitey is the second in charge at our dept (the vol dep and asst chieft still rank over him @ a fire scene) and found out about this. He made the statment that a policy should be written on EVERY SINGLE THING due to this happening.
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 20:05   #3
ClydeG19

Our setup isn't quite as fancy. We just have plastic tags with a number on it. One is clipped to your coat and the matching one is clipped to a ring on the officer's side door as you board. The ring is then passed up to the officer and he puts it on a manpower board in the front. On a larger incident, the officer assigned to accountability/manpower would collect them from the front of the rig.

We should have something where we would need to check in with someone when going in and out of the danger area, but at this point we do not have any system in place that I am aware of.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 22:58   #4
Jon509

Similar to all above. We have tags with our first inital and full last name and we hang it on a d-ring on the officer's door.

Jon
Jon509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:24   #5
Slinger646
King of Sling

We have 2 tags, one is clipped onto a ring, the other is kept for a secondary fireground assaginment, Mst of us have a brass plate with our name and ID attached to our gear as a last ditch non melting ID

Yeah, well I also have 2 toilets and 1 ass, what's it to ya??
Slinger646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:09   #6
cookie-62

I'm a vol. on a small dept [32 in all]. We use name tags with clips, everybody has two. We respond to the scene, the engineers bring the rigs. You clip one tag to the engine, on a ring hanging from the mirror. The other one you give to the officer in charge of whatever task you are assigned to. It works great for us, but were a small dept.;?
Old 12-08-2004, 13:05   #7
N2DFire
Who Me ???

We use a single "cow tag" system (Small Vol. Dept. opperates similar to cookie

Each apparatus has it's own ring. If you arrive POV before a truck arrives, then you "Tag-In" on the first truck to arrive. If you make a truck - you tag in on it's ring & the driver takes that ring to the I.C.

In the end all POV members end up tagged in on the first in apparatus and everyone else is tagged to the vehicle they rode in.

It's a basic system but we're just getting started (at last) hopefully we'll have better in the future.
Big Dawg #1156, Black Rifle #20, GOTOD #3, Fire & EMS Talk #2302
N2DFire is offline   Reply With Quote