Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2004, 19:42   #26
Cat91
Red Tabby

Quote:
Originally posted by reinbeau
But, Miss Kitty, aren't you a police officer (or am I thinking of someone else?) The G23 is too large for my purposes, I'm not supposed to have my gun on me at work, but to go into Boston after work, I need to have it on me (I won't leave it in my truck, especially not here in MA). So I need something smaller.
You might be thinking of me. I'm a prosecutor and I carry a 23 in my purse. Bot it last year at a local gun show for about a hundred bucks, but it is all leather and it has a cener Velcro pocket that works great. I take it with me everywhere unless I have to fly someplace.

Miao, Cat
Cat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:32   #27
reinbeau

Bingo! Yes, it was you I was thinking of, Cat

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Glock Model 23, Walther PPKS .380
reinbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:06   #28
Melissa Ann

Quote:
Originally posted by DeputyDavid
I hate to throw a wet rag on the thread here, but I do not recommend carrying your gun in a purse for the following reasons:

1.) Statistically you stand a much greater chance of getting your purse snatched than getting mugged, raped, etc.

I believe that that the best bet is too find a carry method on your body that you can feel comfortable with and stick with it.
HI DeputyDavid,

I must be an exception to the stats - just a couple years ago was attacked (would have been mugged and/or worse but I kicked the fella in the 'nads) and never had my purse snatched.

That being said, I'm with you and would advise other gals to carry in a holster, belly band, smart-carry, or other such means than purse. I used to forget my purse more times than not... just another reason for me not to carry in a purse.

Take care and Merry Christmas!

"The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." -Morihei Ueshiba

Last edited by Melissa Ann; 12-15-2004 at 12:08..
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:54   #29
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Quote:
Originally posted by DeputyDavid
I hate to throw a wet rag on the thread here, but I do not recommend carrying your gun in a purse for the following reasons:

1.) Statistically you stand a much greater chance of getting your purse snatched than getting mugged, raped, etc.
2.) You probably don't always carry your purse with you.
3.) The draw stroke tends to be somewhat slow.

Also, bad guys have been known to use your purse straps to fling you down to the ground before they abscond with the purse.

I believe that that the best bet is too find a carry method on your body that you can feel comfortable with and stick with it.
My TN instructor told me the same thing. His fear was that a perp would not only steal your purse, but use your own weapon on you.

I always carry on my person, not in a purse. I'd rather take the chance of someone knowing I'm carrying by putting it on my body than let someone steal my purse, credit cards, AND my Glock! God knows, I'd miss the Glock the most!
SouthernGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:56   #30
DeputyDavid

Quote:
Originally posted by Melissa Ann
HI DeputyDavid,

I must be an exception to the stats - just a couple years ago was attacked (would have been mugged and/or worse but I kicked the fella in the 'nads) and never had my purse snatched.

That being said, I'm with you and would advise other gals to carry in a holster, belly band, smart-carry, or other such means than purse. I used to forget my purse more times than not... just another reason for me not to carry in a purse.

Take care and Merry Christmas!
Melissa,

I applaud you for your decision to fight off your attacker. You are definitely an exception - most women (and many men as well) tend to freeze and the fight is over before they have a chance to defend themselves.

Carrying a gun is a compromise between accessability and security. Women tend to have a difficult time with carrying on their person due to shape, size and clothing constraints. If you are willing to invest the time and energy in trying all of the various alternatives of on body carry, you can usually find a method that you can live with.

By the way, my recommendation against purse carry also applies to the fake daytimer, briefcase, console, glovebox, etc. If the gun is more than a few inches from your hands, you probably won't have time to get to it. We had a murder case in our county a few years ago where we found the womans' body in her home not more than 3 feet from her cocked and loaded Colt 45. She was only a couple of seconds away from potentially changing the outcome completely.

I hope I'm not sounding paranoid, but I also believe that you should carry nothing of real value in your purse. Your drivers license, CCW permit, one credit card (ooh, I know I'll hear it on this one) and some cash should also be carried on your person. My wife's purse has an old wallet with a bunch of $1 bills in it, some expired credit cards, and various cosmetics that she could live without. She is prepared to surrender it to a bad guy without hesitation.

Stay safe, and have a Merry Christamas also!
DeputyDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 22:02   #31
Doug_Y
Sith Happens

And now for a word from Mrs. Doug_Y about the purse thing:

Hi. Doug thought I should let my carry solution should be shared. Because of my work - I teach dance to children often on preschool premises - there is almost no way for me to carry on body. My clothing runs towards fitted exercise pants and leotards. So I carry in a backpack purse. The weight is more evenly distributed, I have straps on both arms, and with a little practice my S&W 642 is easily and quickly accessable.
(No, I'm not a Glock carrier. I'm more comfortable with revolvers as that's what I was raised shooting.)
I had been turned off by the prices as well as the size of the backpack purses offered for concealed carry. If I have that much space to fill, I will fill it and the weight goes up. So I bought a purse at Mervyns with zippers in the right places and adjusted it with velcro and holster inserts. Doug took pictures to share.
When it's not on my body, the purse is locked in my trunk or in the studio office. We'll see how long this purse lasts, but for $35 for the purse, $20 for the holster inserts and $5 for the velcro, it's worth a try.

OK, I'm back, but she's still staring over my shoulder so she can beat me if I do something wrong.

Actually, I can't figure out how to attach the JPG files, so just send me a message and I'll get you the pictures. Meanwhile, I'll try to figure out this HTML thing. I miss DOS...

OK, I've figured it out! Here is the front of the purse:
Women's Issues

The carry compartment with her 642:
Women's Issues

The carry compartment with a full-size 1911a1 (For those trips night clubbing!):
Women's Issues

And lastly, the carry compartment with her Remington 870. This idea didn't work out well:
Women's Issues

Last edited by Doug_Y; 12-16-2004 at 22:30..
Doug_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 19:24   #32
Cat91
Red Tabby

Exactly. Most normal womens' clothes won't allow us to carry a decent gun-like a .40 Glock-on the body. Gotta use a handbag or a fanny pack and I don't like fanny packs.

Miao, Cat
Old 12-23-2004, 11:17   #33
Melissa Ann

Funny, I thought my clothes were normal. They can hide a gun pretty easily. But then, maybe my extra weight helps hide things too. Hmmmm.. maybe being overweight will actually SAVE my life because I'll have the gun on me and readily reachable if it ever hits the fan. Heck, even when I finish losing the weight, I'll still dress to accommodate my carry gun. I'd be foolish to do anything else. YMMV. Probably does.

For you gals who carry in a purse or fanny pack, or even a belly band, do yourselves a HUGE favor and practice retreiving your gun from those places. They're not as second-nature as a holster on your hip. Make sure you can get the gun out in a hurry and get it on target. When it hits the fan, you won't have a lot of time to get it into action. If you're struggling with zippers and other junk in your purse, that's all the time a bad guy will need to move in and take control of the situation. I'd think you'd do well to be more aware of your surroundings than most of us - because you'll need that extra second or two to access your gun. Stay in condition yellow or orange - don't trust anyone. Always be ready, cautious, watchful.

Good luck and Stay safe.
Melissa

"The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." -Morihei Ueshiba
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 18:15   #34
reinbeau

I've actually got a quick-draw fanny pouch I bought at a gun show. I can wear that when I'm in street clothes in the city, it's got a quick-rip on the zipper you pull with (for a righty) your left hand while your right grasps the grip of the gun. It's pretty slick. Problem is I can't carry much else in it and it isn't appropriate for work. But it'll work for most purposes.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Glock Model 23, Walther PPKS .380
reinbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 16:44   #35
Cat91
Red Tabby

I'm thinking about getting one of those, Ann. I prefer full size pistols and it'd be better for casual wear, I think.

I committed Glock Sacrilege today. I SOLD my Model 23!!

Well, actually I traded it. Hubby packs a Steyr M-9 and has been after me to get something we could share ammo with. 9mm is cheaper than .40 and 9mm Cor-Bons have nearly the same muzzle velocity. Soooo, I used this as an opportunity to fill my hand with something that actually fits my hand. The Glock's grip is JUST a little fat.

So I got an FN FNP-9.

You know, I really like it. 17 rounds, and it's about the same size as the 23. Fits just as well in my purse. But its grip is smaller and it's WAY more accurate. I actually drew a smiley face on a target from 25 yards with the FNP tonight! Hubby's jaw about hit the floor when he saw that!

Miao, Cat
Old 05-27-2005, 18:21   #36
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally posted by beemerphile
Gloria Lemaster. My wife has one for her G19 and I understand that it is what Miami Vice ladies carry. Very discreet pistol enclosure, yet fast to access. The strap has a metal cable inside it so a BG can't purse snatch it without clotheslining himself. - Lee
Where can these "Gloria Lemaster" purses be found? Google turned up nothing but this thread. ;i
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 20:59   #37
Cat91
Red Tabby

And of course, I'm back with the Glock again. Just can't stay away. Answered a lot of the carry problems with a Coronado purse. It zips open real fast and I can get to it almost as fast as I can from the hip. But in casual wear I often carry it now in a Fobus GL2* just behind my right hip. Works great!

Miao, Cat
Old 05-27-2005, 22:06   #38
Vic303

HI Cat, glad to see you got a Coronado too. I don't use mine much, as I prefer IWB, but there are times it is the only way I can carry.

For IWB, I prefer one of two holsters--the Sparks VM-II or the Threat Solutions UCR, both for 1911. If funds permitted, I'd also probably have a Tucker Answer. I'd like to try a CTAC sometime, but they strike me as too complicated, with all the adjustments possible on it.
YMMV.
Vic

Oh and lest I forget, in the summer heat, Smart Carry.
Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Vic303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 20:59   #39
96KICKS

ttt.

Any more recent updates/info on this topic? Last post was about December. I'm looking for carry options.
96KICKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:17   #40
Vic303

96, what firearm do you carry? How do you have to dress for a typical weekday? Can you carry at work? What is the general climate (summer) where you live?

All these will affect how & what you carry. Sorry but I'm too lazy this morning to go back to see if you posted any of this info back in 2004 or not.
--Vicky
Old 06-29-2005, 14:00   #41
96KICKS

Glock 19
typical dress: Jeans, shirt, hate wearing belts.
Yes I can carry at work.
Climate in summer is warm to hot (MI)
My clothing is generally not loose fitting.
I'm thinking my best option is purse, and I've been searching for one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vic303
96, what firearm do you carry? How do you have to dress for a typical weekday? Can you carry at work? What is the general climate (summer) where you live?

All these will affect how & what you carry. Sorry but I'm too lazy this morning to go back to see if you posted any of this info back in 2004 or not.
--Vicky
96KICKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 14:49   #42
Vic303

96, the general rule of thumb for CCW is to dress around the pistol. So, try low-rise jeans ( I find they postition th efirearm better with hips), 1 size larger, and a loose seersucker type fabric shortsleeve blouse over a tight tank top. Do not tuck the blouse in, nor button it all the way. Just use a bottom button or two, to keep it from blowing in the breezes.

Holsters to consider (I personally use all 3.) are Threat Solutions UCR, Sparks VM-II, and a Smart Carry. Another good holster but one I cannot afford nor find used, is a Tucker Answer.

I can also recommend Coronado Leather for purses. High quality & high price, but not overpriced for what you get. I have their Cross Carry model.

For IWB you must have a good stiff belt. Yes, I know it's not God's most comfortable thinkg to wear a 1.5" wide, 1/4" thick slab of cowhide on your waist in the heat, but it is 'comforting' to know it is doing its job of holding up your firearm of choice.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:22   #43
Kilroy
JAFMP

Send a message via ICQ to Kilroy
For your consideration...

Previously posted elsewhere:

If a gun purse is needed, consider the following...

Ladies Protection

This purse was designed by two instructors who have done a very good job of analyzing was is needed in a purse that will carry a defensive firearm. Starting with a safe "draw to fire position", it also incorporates a means of carrying a spare magazine and a flashlight.

Using a zipper to open the gun compartment, it is much quieter then velcro if you wish to open the compartment. Not telegraphing your actions can be a critically important thing. The design also is optimum for safe drawing of the pistol. Side entry holsters will tend to swing away from you as one attempts to draw the pistol. The design of the Ladies Protection purse keeps the pistol stable and it remains in place as your hand moves to draw the gun. This design also permits you to keep body parts away from the pistol muzzle as you draw or reholster.

The design also allows a loose or dropped (during the draw) pistol to fall back into the purse. Side opening designs can and will allow your pistol to fall onto the ground, which can cause anything from being embarrassed to serious legal problems.

Of quality (US made) construction, this purse is one of the best designs that I have seen. Designed by professional trainers who had the best interest of the user in mind.

I have no interest or participation in this company, but I do support good products and this is one of the best.

...was here

"Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.Ē
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:21   #44
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Eek! That purse is pretty ugly, I must say. ;g
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote