Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2004, 22:16   #1
Daniel Ramsey

What to buy?

I got me here a question and I don't care how pointed or objected the replies are unless they get outahand....

I'm 48, about 5' 10" 195 pounds but I'm not a big person, a heck of a mechanic, technically a master mechanic, machinist, fabricator/welder, well the list goes on and on.

I'm a collector of brass HO trains, fine or customized firearms (is 3 Glocks enough??) scale wooden ships and some realy nice diecast heavy equipment. My home and property are paid for, I bought myself a 2002 Silverado 4WD dually fully loaded on fathers day (woman still can't figure out what men really want! ;f
Got my wife a 2005 AWD SUV...( so she can stop jackin' my ride now)

I drive a concrete mixer in Alaska, year round (it isn't all that bad)

And I feel kinda lost, like my spirit is playing tug of war about settling down and all, I raised two stepchidren and they are on their own and now its just my 10 year old son, when I was very young my father had a Harley cause I remember riding on it. He is 65 now but still takes trips on his Goldwing but he never really wanted me to get the two wheel fever except for a small Honda that I soon trashed.

So now here I am thinking about all those lost years, the void of not knowing a thing about bikes but wanting to get into it because its a frontier like where I live.

Should I just get what looks really mean and macho (like the Vrod)
Get the jap bike? (street, or cruiser?)
Invest in Teutonic engineering possibly only because I'm mostly german and a perfectionist?

Get a used cheapie like under 750cc, under $1500 bike, ride it, get license etc.

Anybody willing to share their life story I would appreciate, I do not think I'll be riding to Sturgis or being hard core, my wife has already said she will never two-up, I would like something that if I wanted to would take me across country starting with coming down the Alaska highway possibly with a trailer but not neccessary.
Daniel Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 22:46   #2
RBR

Here's the ticket & yes BMW's are exspensive....

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machin...el=r1150gs_adv
Old 12-03-2004, 09:49   #3
Daniel Ramsey

I made my decision, yes its the BMW, looks like I'm going for the whole enchilada and the K1200 is the winner. I feel more drawn to the overall ergonomics of the K series.

Its amazing the difference in technology between old wold engineering and american muscle though the Revolution engine in the Vrod is pretty dam good, I had a demo of it at our local Harley shop, it was very UN-Harley sounding, more precise in throttle up (fuel injected, liquid cooled)and the Screamin' Eagle package is top notch, I was lucky enough to see one of only two VRSC "Vrods" available in Alaska at the time being.

Any harley fans thinking of riding through Alaska this summer should check out the new Denali Harley store in Wasilla AK, its about 35 miles north of Anchorage on the main road to Fairbanks, great huge store!
Daniel Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 15:29   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Yes, that V-Rod engine is very decidedly un-Harley and un-American. Maybe some of that Teutonic motor engineering has something to do with it? Hint, hint Porsche.

Kinda like the Yamaha V-6 and V-8 in the old Taurus SHOs.
Old 12-07-2004, 15:17   #5
k12lts

I've been riding BMW for 20 years and am now on a K1200LT. They are expensive but if you factor in dealer support and parts availablity I think they are worth it. Try buying a part for a 10 to 15 year old Japanese bike. I know someone with a 2000 Harley dresser and the crise control broke. The parts have been discontinued and will never be available. BMW dealers are few and far between but if they don't have the part for you 1970 and newer bike they can usually have it next day.

Enjoy your new bike.
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote