Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-01-2004, 19:31   #1
bassman-dan
NRA Lifer

When did you realize you are a hunter?

I dunno, maybe its a silly question.
For me, it would have been in the early 1950's when I was quite small. I can remember watching a hunting program on a small, fuzzy, black and white TV. I was absolutely mesmerized while watching a pheasant hunt even though I barely understood what they were doing.
While still small, I would get extremely excited when family members would go out hunting and I could barely contain my excitement until they returned with exciting stories and beautiful game animals for me to inspect.
When I finally did get old enough to hunt, I would be too excited to sleep the night before the hunt.
I loved it all- dove, quail, duck, squirrel, and best of all- deer hunting.
I planned my life around hunting. The fall and winter was for hunting- not football. College was postponed because it took too much time away from hunting. It took a long time to finish schooling between hunting seasons.
The women that I dated had to understand that I might be away for extended periods of time during hunting season. It took a while but I finally found a real keeper. We have been happily married for 30 years.
My only relief from hunting fever has been fishing...particularly bass fishing.
So....sometimes people ask me why I like to hunt. At first, I would be puzzled at such an audacious question. Now, I just reply that I don't understand why someone would NOT want to hunt!
I could go on and on about 40+ years of hunting, but, how about you? When did you realize that you are a hunter?
bassman-dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 22:49   #2
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

I think I realized that I was a hunter the moment I sold my fishing tackle to buy hunting gear. I never hunted until I was 16 and I had fished all my life prior to that moment. I was in our local bass club and was very competitive. I was hoping to make my way through the ranks and try to go professional. (those of you who know pro fishing is as exhaustive as any other sport, not really a fun 8-5 Mon-Fri job) I was going to do Fisheries and Wildlife Management like Ken Cook (pro-fisherman). I got a job at a sporting goods store while at college and lost all interst in fishing. Now I am totally consumed with Law Enforcement (studying to be a cop), firearms, and hunting. I dunno. It has gotten serious and I cannot see myself looking back.
Old 12-02-2004, 00:16   #3
f1b32oPTic
R4d104c71v3

when i missed my first deer
f1b32oPTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:27   #4
noway

probably when I was 1st born

But seriously, when I was like 5 or 6yrd my dad bought me a plastic possible fiberglass made bow. Something cheap and was kinda like a toy. After getting this little bow, I was around the house and outdoors shooting this small arrow at anything that I could. I never killed any animals other than the owl decoy that we had in a tree. I did break a few glass bottles and I shatter the back door window of our garage. ;f
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 18:05   #5
lwt210

I realized it early in life. Being in the woods with a rifle was the only place I wanted to be. Even if I didn't bag anything...just being out there was enough for me.

Watching the wildlife, smelling the clean air and the scents of the forrest, the coolness of the early morn and late afternoon....the serenity of it all.

Oh how I miss it. For most of my teens and early adulthood I had hundreds of acres on which to hunt. Didn't realize how good I had it till I moved off to a city and lost access to good hunting land.

Depressing.
Old 12-02-2004, 21:36   #6
8-Ball
Drifting Cowboy

Well, my dad decided for me when I was about 6 minutes old ;f

23skidoo (Jeff), CJLandry (Chad), Silent_Runner (Gloria), & GioaJack

Taken too soon.
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 22:03   #7
WalterGA

I got my first shotgun when I was 6-yrs-old. Can't remember not "being a hunter."
WalterGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 00:47   #8
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
Quote:
Originally posted by lwt210
I realized it early in life. Being in the woods with a rifle was the only place I wanted to be. Even if I didn't bag anything...just being out there was enough for me.

Watching the wildlife, smelling the clean air and the scents of the forrest, the coolness of the early morn and late afternoon....the serenity of it all.

Oh how I miss it. For most of my teens and early adulthood I had hundreds of acres on which to hunt. Didn't realize how good I had it till I moved off to a city and lost access to good hunting land.

Depressing.
Pretty much the same story here. It is depressing.:(
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 00:49   #9
bachchoy
Bond

Hunting, Fishing & Camping
Bladerunners/40/Niners/Sub/1911/G1 Niner's #1975
Wheelhouse/Rimfire/Milsurp/Kalashnikov\Black Rifle #3030
Food/OAF/SNS/Survival #5
bachchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 13:50   #10
shrpshtr

Send a message via ICQ to shrpshtr Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr
as long ago as i can remember. my father, nor older brother were ever into hunting. i had friends who would go with their dads and i was pretty envious of that. i got a bb rifle (crossman 2100 classic) when i was about 8. there wasn't a bird, squirrel, rabbit, etc. left in the neighborhood by the time i was 9. of course, my father would beat me everytime he caught me killing somthing but that was a price worth paying. i really started getting into archery around 15. i borrowed a friends bow and learned how to shoot, etc. about that same time, i bought my first subscription to Field&Stream to learn how to be an outdoorsman. i taught myself the whole way and killed my 1st deer in '93. i haven't looked back. every year i try to get into something else outdoors because i love it so much...

.40 S&W Club #24
Model 1911 Club #42
Carolina Glockers #24
HFC #24
NRA
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote