Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-21-2004, 12:00   #1
Alpha752

Tom Clancey - The teeth of the Tiger

Any one read it yet? I must say I wasnt impressed. I took a LONG time to get intresting, and by the time the story picked up, I as allready put off.

I love the old Jack Ryan series, but this new stuff with little Jack is starting to get a little bit much. TC is trying to make Jack JR into his father, and I dont think it will work. But as a loyal Tom Clancy fan, I will continue to read.

Opinions?
Old 08-23-2004, 10:00   #2
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

It was decent.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 15:21   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

I gave up on him. His prose is turgid and sound amateurish. The book that did it was when Ryan was tooling around in a rubber raft with a brave Prince Charles,IIRC. Now that we know that Prince Charles desires to be a tampon, that did it for me.

His best book, Red Storm Rising was ghosted with Larry Bond.
NTI, TSRA, NRA,IDPA Niner #2001 Black Rifle AR-101 Wheelie 442642 L'star 101 J Snub 432http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...05_Feature.htm
Being an Academic Shooter
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Glenn E. Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 18:30   #4
Gregm77
Tenifer Freak

I agree w/ Mr Murphy, "It was decent."

I want to see a book starring John Clark, filling in his yrs. between Without Remorse and The Cardinal and The Kremiln.

THAT would be a good read.
Big Dawg #1374
Gregm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 20:26   #5
DepDuke
Glockitall

Send a message via AIM to DepDuke
Read it. Good read. I loved the part in the book where the one character got to fire off the tag line that I love:

"If you kick a tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan to deal with his teeth"

Nice way to put it, I think

BTW...John Clark is one baaaad MO FO

In a society where values are present, laws are unnecessary; where values are absent, laws are unenforceable
DepDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 20:45   #6
21 shooter

I have not read a lot of his books, but this one was not bad. I have read worse. And I did like the comment about dealing with the teeth.

Rimfire Club #66 Niners Club #121
Big Dawg #1121 Wheelhouse #1121
Sub Club #1121
21 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:49   #7
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

Red Storm Rising was a collaboration. Larry Bond gamed out the war scenarios. Tom Clancy described what was happening.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 00:21   #8
Alpha752

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregm77
... I want to see a book starring John Clark, filling in his yrs. between Without Remorse and The Cardinal and The Kremiln.

Agreed. Id like to see more John Clark, Dingo stuff, either past history, or an expanded Rainbow Six series.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:44   #9
minnshooter

Some movies with John Clark and Dingo would be awesome!!!
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:29   #10
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Just finished it, definitly not his best work. However I did wonder about how easy it would be for terrorsits to pull off a stunt like described at the malls. After Clancy kind of foretold (no tinfoil hat stuff please) about a 747 being used as a missle, makes me wonder a little bit.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:41   #11
CVDean

I have not been able to read Clancy since he made Jack Ryan President. He just killed the character with that move.
CVDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 17:08   #12
NorthernDancer

Clancy's books have been going downhill. He desperately needs an editor to cut. (Has he started believing his own press releases?)

I still like Red Storm Rising the best. That one does NOT feature Jack Ryan because he was involved in a copyright dispute with U.S. Naval Institute Press over the ownership of the character.

The later books have gotten increasingly repetative and less and less believable. I used to be one of the first to buy each book and would read it avidly. I didn't even finish Red Rabbit and thought that Teeth of the Tiger had about as much realism as the average Hollywood action film.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I like Clancy and the way he came from his kitchen table to stardom. (But don't like the way he dumped wife when he became sucessful after she supported his fledgling efforts.)

BTW, don't waste your time and money on any of the OP Center books. They seem to slap Clancy's name on the cover but they are not nearly as well written.

Jennifer
NorthernDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:19   #13
Tvov

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMurphy
Red Storm Rising was a collaboration. Larry Bond gamed out the war scenarios. Tom Clancy described what was happening.
I did not know that. Gotta love GT. Red Storm Rising is also my favorite. Big mind blank, but the submarine book was very good (ha! just found it on the shelf. Hunt for Red October).

I read one "Op-Center" book, and that was enough.

Willem Defoe is a good actor, but he was not at all what I pictured John Clark to look and act like. Another mind blank, but I thought the book where Clark basically becomes a vigilante was a fun read, surprised it hasn't been made into a movie, seems ripe for it.

I guess I'll go out and pickup "Teeth". Want to wait for the price to drop. I can't believe how expensive just paperbacks are these days! (I sound like an old guy now...)
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 13:06   #14
JohnBT
NRA Patron

The Teeth of the Tiger, Part 1

What a rip, where's the rest of the story? I know, buy the next book when he writes it.

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 14:31   #15
Cali-Glock
Mountain Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregm77
I agree w/ Mr Murphy, "It was decent."

I want to see a book starring John Clark, filling in his yrs. between Without Remorse and The Cardinal and The Kremiln.

You got it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by minnshooter
Some movies with John Clark and Dingo would be awesome!!!
Don't we wish.

Hollywood would probably blow it. :(

John Clark is one of my favorite characters - period.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Mal Reynolds
Cali-Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:28   #16
five-0

I just finished it. Ditto to what NorthernDancer said.

Clancy used to be one of my favorite fiction writers, but his last few have really gone downhill.
The Op-Center series has always sucked.

I do like Andy McNab (fiction and non-fiction) and I'm going to try Larry Bond.
five-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 19:05   #17
roburado

I haven't liked Clancy's work since Debt of Honor/Executive Orders. I thought Rainbow Six was ham-handed. Someone said he needs an editor to cut stuff. Well, he needs an editor to keep him from copying and pasting stuff. I could almost swear that he uses exactly the same verbiage describing something in one part of the book and does a complete copy and paste to describe the same thing several hundred pages later. I think the above books, Red October, Red Storm Rising, and Without Remorse were the best.

I liked his non-fiction Special Forces book a heck of a lot, though. Oh yeah, Fighter Wing and the Marine MEU-SOC ones were ones I liked.
roburado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 19:36   #18
NorthernDancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cali-Glock
You got it!!

Don't we wish.

Hollywood would probably blow it. :(

John Clark is one of my favorite characters - period.
Did anyone notice that in the Hollywood version of Clear and Present Danger, the Jack Ryan character NEVER holds a gun. Even in the Columbian ambush, he never holds one of those evil things.

Thus does Hollywood distort good stories.

Jennifer
NorthernDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 16:24   #19
RugMan

Quote:
Originally posted by NorthernDancer
Did anyone notice that in the Hollywood version of Clear and Present Danger, the Jack Ryan character NEVER holds a gun.
Yep. ;Q

Quite disappointing considering that in the book he mans a minigun.
RugMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:48   #20
Texas

How 'bout the PC movie version of "The sum of all fears"?

Teeth of the Tiger is a good read, altough I agree that it's not as good as earlier books.

Regarding movies...
What ticked me off is how they made "The sum of all fears" PC by replacing muslim terrorists with neo-natzis. The movie is quite good, but I just don't get why Hollywood is so worried about offenfing rag_head terrorists.

Tex
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:56   #21
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You should ask Gemeinschaft about Tom Clancy. ;i
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:46   #22
Haephestus

I thought Teeth of the Tiger was horrible, personally. Clancy long ago made the mistake of falling in love with his own characters. What this means is, he refuses to allow any harm to come to them. From The Sum of All Fears onward, you go into every book just knowing that none of the main, recurring characters are going to die or even fail.
Haephestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 13:47   #23
mac66
Plant the seed

Haven't read the latest. Been kinda turned off by his last couple book, too long and boring. I find myself waiting for my local library to get them in on audio books so I have something long to listen to during my commute back and forth to work.

The only gripe I have about Clancy is that goes into such minute technical detail that his books tend to lag a bit. Considering that these guys get paid by the word, it is small wonder why Clancy lets the word meter run.
Old 12-09-2004, 20:36   #24
Yo

Thumbs down, way down

Teeth of the Tiger?

Give it a 2 on scale of 10

480 pages, with barely enough plot for a short story. Uninteresting characters. Unconvincing motivation and essentially no suspense at any point. I hope we see no more of Enzo and Aldo.

The only thing worth the price of paper was that Clancy did, correctly, espress how easily it is to get across the US border.