Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:48   #1
grampi

Non-competitive status - useful tool, or worthless eye candy?

When I received my 40% disability from the VA, I thought this may finally be my ticket into a federal job. It gives me an additional 5 preference points and non-competitive status. However, while hiring agencies must apply the 10 veteran's points to an applicant's application package, using the non-comp status is optional. I can't for the life of me figure out what the purpose of non-comp status is if hiring officials don't have to use it. If they're only going to select the most qualified candidate they don't need to use non-comp status. The only possible reason I can see for a hiring official to want to use non-comp status is if they want to hire a friend or someone else they know who is at least meets the minumum requirements for a position, but is not the most qualified candidate. If the people who make up these rules really wanted to give disabled vets a real hiring preference, they would've made the use of non-comp status MANDATORY. As it is, unless an applicant personally knows a hiring official, non-comp status is useless because I haven't seen a single case where the hiring agency has been willing to use it otherwise.

Last edited by grampi; 12-05-2004 at 15:06..
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 18:48   #2
grampi

No comments? I'd bet I'm not the only federal job seeker with non-comp status who isn't getting any benefit from it.

Last edited by grampi; 12-05-2004 at 18:52..
Old 12-06-2004, 21:26   #3
BinLurking
Your Phone

I am a disabled veteran but I am not a bitter one like you. I am currently a federal employee. And yes I have applied for several federal positions and worked as a contractor for the federal government before I finally got in. I recently applied for a Management Analyst position (upward mobility). The job description was like it was copied from my military fitness report, the exact same thing that I did in the service. Did I get the job? No I did not get the job, and no, I did not even get an interview. I called the HR office to find out the status of my application. I was informed my resume did not get enough "hits". Not sure if you are familiar with the HR system. The manager (of the job opening) provided the HR with "key/buzz" words to search for on resumes of applicants for that particular job. Different managers may ask for different key/buzz words for the same job series. Not sure why I'm explaining this to you, sounds like you're already convinced that the system is FUBAR. BTW, I did over 20 years in the service and I was in my mid-forties when I got my first federal job. Sometimes YMMV with your outlook.

Last edited by BinLurking; 12-07-2004 at 19:09..
BinLurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:54   #4
grampi

Quote:
Originally posted by BinLurking
I am a diabled veteran but I am not a bitter one like you. I am currently a federal employee. And yes I have applied for several federal positions and worked as a contractor for the federal government before I finally got in. I recently applied for a Management Analyst position (upward mobility). The job description was like it was copied from my military fitness report, the exact same thing that I did in the service. Did I get the job? No I did not get the job, and no, I did not even get an interview. I called the HR office to find out the status of my application. I was informed my resume did not get enough "hits". Not sure if you are familiar with the HR system. The manager (of the job opening) provided the HR with "key/buzz" words to search for on resumes of applicants for that particular job. Different managers may ask for different key/buzz words for the same job series. Not sure why I'm explaining this to you, sounds like you're already convinced that the system is FUBAR. BTW, I did over 20 years in the service and I was in my mid-forties when I got my first federal job. Sometimes YMMV with your outlook.
I wonder why you're not bitter and I am? Could it be because you are a federal employee and I'm not? That may have something to do with it. It's frustrating when we as disabled vets are supposed to be getting all these hiring preferences, but I can't see where they do us any good if the hiring agencies don't use them. Is non-comp status a benefit for the diabled vet or the hiring agency? It's supposed to be a benefit for us, but how does it benefit the vet if it's never used? It's frustrating to have applied for over 200 federal jobs over the last 3 years and not receive a single job offer, especially considering my qualififcations. Nobody's been more patient than I have, but after the thousands of man hours I have invested in this quest with absolutley no results, I guess my patience is starting to wear thin. Yeah, I'm a little bitter, but I have reason to be. BTW, what is YMMV?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:22   #5
BinLurking
Your Phone

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. How long have you been looking for a federal job? It took me almost two years before I got in. In the mean time, I accepted a federal contractor's job while I was waiting. And no, I was not bitter in those two years while I was waiting for a federal job. BTW, ranting at a gun board and bad-mouthing the system is not gonna get you a job any faster. They will not create a job for you nor hand you a job on a silver platter just because you are a disable veteran. There are other jobs besides federal jobs where you can concentrate your energy and efforts. Do I sound harsh? Maybe - it's also a fact of life! And life goes on!
Old 12-07-2004, 13:21   #6
grampi

Quote:
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. How long have you been looking for a federal job? It took me almost two years before I got in. In the mean time, I accepted a federal contractor's job while I was waiting. And no, I was not bitter in those two years while I was waiting for a federal job. BTW, ranting at a gun board and bad-mouthing the system is not gonna get you a job any faster. They will not create a job for you nor hand you a job on a silver platter just because you are a disable veteran. There are other jobs besides federal jobs where you can concentrate your energy and efforts. Do I sound harsh? Maybe - it's also a fact of life! And life goes on!
I've been applying now for almost 3 years. I haven't been bitter the whole time I've been applying, that just came on in the last few months. And this is only because I was told by several people who supposedly knew about the entire hiring process, that since I received my 40% disability rating in September of this year, I now should have no problem getting hired because of the extra 5 preference points and my non-comp status. When nothing improved, it made me more and more frustrated. You certainly must be able to understand how it can be so frustrating for someone with over 14 years experience in electronics, a 10 point veteran's preference, and non-comp status and I'm still getting any job offers. It's very maddening!
Old 12-07-2004, 14:28   #7
BinLurking
Your Phone

Don't get me wrong, I do understand your frustration. Have you tried the DOD and other agencies? I sent you a PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:16   #8
Ed Ely
Mr. Wonderful

grampi, one last try. Are you a Vietnam era veteran? If so,
there are special hiring procedures for you.

Yes, THEY can create a job for you. Most of these are in
the General Schedule area of GS-7 and on special ocassions,
it can be bumped up to a GS-9 after one year on the job.

Please consider ANY job within the fed system, just to get in.
Once you are in, USPS, DVA, DOD whatever, you can bid on any
job, anywhere. Again, as has been re-iterated, there is no
guarantee of a job.

Good luck,

Ed

Last edited by Ed Ely; 12-13-2004 at 11:20..
Ed Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 15:59   #9
grampi

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Ely
grampi, one last try. Are you a Vietnam era veteran? If so,
there are special hiring procedures for you.

Please consider ANY job within the fed system, just to get in.
Once you are in, USPS, DVA, DOD whatever, you can bid on any
job, anywhere. Again, as has been re-iterated, there is no
guarantee of a job.

Good luck,

Ed
I do consider and apply for ET jobs with ALL agencies. I've found that usually within the ET world, there are rarely any vacancies listed at pay grades below the GS-9 level. I've been told by HR people who have evaluated my resume that I'm well qualified for the GS-11 level.
Old 12-25-2004, 14:05   #10
BinLurking
Your Phone

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Ely
Please do show us wise one. ;Q
Old 12-25-2004, 16:21   #11
grampi

Quote:
Please do show us wise one. ;Q
What's up your butt?
Old 12-25-2004, 21:37   #12
Ed Ely
Mr. Wonderful

BinLurking-

Please give me permission to instruct you in the
procedure via PM or email.

I am not the wise one, I just know how the system
works. I am retired military and federal civil
service. I offered up my help and if it appeared
that I was offering up too much, then I will STFU.

Ed
Ed Ely is offline   Reply With Quote