SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-05-2004, 22:30   #1
bdhawk

Send a message via Yahoo to bdhawk
what size engine?

ok, i am in my second childhood, and i am on the verge of a midlife crisis. i want to live it up a little while i am young enough and healthy enough to enjoy it.

i am an experienced rider with in excess of thirty years experience. i also raced flattrack and motocross during my misspent youth.

i mostly want to ride 'round town, trips to the big city, and occasional long trips. i want to experience all this with my wife and soul mate. i am experienced riding 2up, my wife is an excellent passenger and navigator (she has the looks and the brains). i do not have much experience in riding 2up for extended distances. i have ridden lots, long distance, solo. i am not interested in ripping up the asphalt or trying for land speed records. been there, done it, i have all that behind me. our rides will be stop and smell the roses and take in the scenery types.

i am about 190# and my lovely wife is somewhere close to 140. on the longer trips we will carry minimal gear.

i used to have a 750 yamaha, an old three banger. it did well on the short trips, and the 750 didn't seem to labor excessively at all riding 2up. i had a 650 suzuki that did well 2up, but once again, no long trips.

this is not going to be a lifestyle change. i am not going to get(insert brand name here) tatoos, start wearing (insert brand name here)logo clothing all the time, or start calling my wife my b!+ch. i am not saying that is bad, it's just not for me.

i am guessing 800cc should be my minimum. i want an engine big enough so it will not have to work too hard to haul us around at reasonable (read legal or less) speeds. i choose not to buy used. i want to know the history of the bike, and the warranty is important to me. i know bigger is better, but the more money i spend, the less i will be able to spend on extras. if i bought a big bike i would have to buy cheaper helmets, wait on a windshield, and probabably wouldn't be able to buy some sexy chaps for my wife.

anyway, what do you guys think would be minimal as far as engine size goes? oh, yeah, i want a cruiser, not a tour bike.

your help will be appreciated.;c ;c

N.R.A. RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

G22 - G27 - G20 sf
bdhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 22:42   #2
modgun
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

While Im no expert, and have less exp than you, I think that 800 is ok as a minimum.

However, If it was me I would look a little higher. In the long run I think you will be happier and it will serve you better especially in regards to long trips, going 2up, with hills.

No offense but both of you, a full tank, and gear should put you near 400 pounds.

Make sure you get her those chaps though...and then post us a pic?
modgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 23:30   #3
Compy
CompensateWhat?

I think you pretty much answered your own question.

Just make sure you look at actual power/weight figures rather than displacement.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:49   #4
chevrofreak

This is probably way more sporty than you're looking for though

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...delId=VFR800A5
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:38   #5
Daniel Ramsey

How about the BMW K1200LT?

just my two cents...
Daniel Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:15   #6
modgun
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Ramsey
How about the BMW K1200LT?
Moto Club

I would love to take a long trip on one!

Moto Club
modgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:15   #7
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by chevrofreak
This is probably way more sporty than you're looking for though

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...delId=VFR800A5
For a long two-up ride I'd think he'd want something a little more comfortable.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 14:29   #8
bdhawk

bmw

i went to bmw motorcycle's website. they said the 1200 would do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. WOW, that should be enough horsepower. i betcha they are 24 grand; i want too much for this poor ole country boy.

the sport bikes are cool, but texas t is right, that is not what i need. i don't want a hot rod. i just want to buzz around 2up without putting undue strain on the engine by overworking it.

thanks for all the input so far, keep it coming.;c

G22 - G27 - G20 sf
Old 12-06-2004, 15:15   #9
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

I know that you said that you didn't want a tourer, but do you definitely NOT want something with bags on it?

If bags are okay you might want to consider the BMW R1200CL which has a MSRP of $16500. Fairing, bags, good two up capacity, but I don't know what your financial constraints are.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machin...?model=r1200cl

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 15:15   #10
Alchemy

Bike

It's interesting that this topic should come up.
Yesterday my wife and I had to drive to Portland
to see a friend that was in the hospital. On
our drive, we passed the Harley dealership, and
I said to her, "You know I need a midlife
crisis". She said what do you mean?, and I said
that I wanted a Harley. Her reply was that I
spend too much on guns, too much on computers,
and have too much ammo. Can you imagine that,
having too much ammo, that's an oxymoron! from
a woman's point of view. So anyway she asked
me what a Harley cost....I say probably 25K the
way that I want it. Her reply was unprintable
according to GK standards. BTW, I'm an
experienced rider. I guess That some wives just
don't get the guy thing....He who dies with the
most toys wins!. Remember that book, "Men are
from Mars and Women are from Venus". I'd sure
love to send her back to Venus for a week, and
see what she comes home to!...end of semi rant.
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 15:41   #11
bdhawk

texas t

actually bags will be a big plus. i have also been pricing saddlebags, passenger backrests, windshields, and cargo racks.

i will have about $10,000 total to spend. i want to peg out at $9000.00 inc. TTL. that will leave 'bout a grand for helmets, xtras, and maybe an airfreshener to hang from the mirror.

there seems to be some decent choices in the 800 cc range, i am afraid that that will not be enough engine, hince this topic.

the suzuki s83 has a suggested retail of $8399.00, and it is an 83 incher or 'bout 1350cc. that is the one i am leaning toward. kawasaki has a tour bike with a 997cc engine. it has a MSRP of $8299.00. it may be a good choice. i has lots of goodies included. is a tour bike, so i am not real nuts about the looks. i really do not like farings 'cause the head light doesn't turn with the front forks. i do not like not being to see where i am going on tight curves. it seems to have a fair price.
suzuki also has a 50 incher( 'bout 850cc) with windshield and bags. it is under $8000.00. it has fuel injection which seems like a good idea. it is a great lookin' bike, but does it have enough engine?

the BMW is sweet, but it is waaaay out of my price range.

G22 - G27 - G20 sf

Last edited by bdhawk; 12-06-2004 at 15:43..
Old 12-06-2004, 15:56   #12
DanTBusa

Honda VTX is a nice cruiser
knocked up down or out
DanTBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 19:36   #13
beemerphile
CLM Number 79
Charter Lifetime Member

Re: texas t

Quote:
Originally posted by bdhawk
i really do not like farings 'cause the head light doesn't turn with the front forks. i do not like not being to see where i am going on tight curves.
Do your car's headlights turn with the front wheel? In 27 years of riding BMW's with full fairings I have never given a thought to this. At speed, the bars do not turn that much, in fact, because of countersteering, you turn the bars opposite the direction you want to turn! Long trips on a cruiser bike seems like unnecessary agony - especially with a passenger. Have a look at a Suzuki V-Strom. At least you won't have to wonder which of the 27 identical Harley-wannabe cruisers in the parking lot is yours. - Lee
G17, G19, G20, G21, G22, G23, G26, G27. Sub Club #19
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 20:32   #14
bdhawk

i used to have a suzuki GS650 L, an '81. it was sorta similar to the v- strom. it was an awesome bike 'cept it was the bike that gave me a dislike for fairings. it seemed to run much better than a 650 should. there was a hairpin curve just outside of town. i felt really blind going through it. in the daytime, the hairpin curve was sooo much fun. the car headlight comparison makes sence, but i do remember the uncomfortable feeling with headlight pointing the wrong way. the v-strom 1000 does look promising. decent pricing, too.

i have also been looking at the honda vtx. great looking bike. nice size engine and the specs look good. it is on the high end of what i want to spend. it is $9399.00 MSRP. with TTL it would take up my whole $10,000.00. honda still has '04 models priced on their website. if there any of those available, still. it may be just the thing.

G22 - G27 - G20 sf
Old 12-06-2004, 22:48   #15
xrated

One of the nicest looking (I know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder) cruisers on the market these days is the Honda VTX1300. For '05, there are three different models. The custom, the "S" model (S is for spokes) and the Retro, which looks exactly like the S model except it has cast aluminum wheels. The 1300 makes about 83 or 84 HP, gobs of low end and mid-range, water cooled of course, shaft drive for low maint, and 5 speed. Lots of accessories available if you want them and MSRP is around $9300. This bike will cruise all day long with two up, and never complain. Honda reliability, quality, fit, finish and....it's faster than any stock Harley except the V-Rod.
Old 12-07-2004, 00:51   #16
Eyespy
Proud Infidel

There is little, if any, reason to require a headlight to turn with the forks. The fork/bars are moved very little with turning above parking lot speeds. As someone else pointed out, countersteering turns the bars in the direction opposite the direction of the turn and this is correct for motorcycles and bicycles (any two wheeled single track vehicle), but generally, that is primarily for turn initiation only. Once the lean angle to negotiate the turn is acquired, the front wheel will track into the turn direction. But as stated above, the degree to which this occurs is slight, because the bike will lean over to turn. So there is advantage in having a headlight(s) that do not turn with the forks.

All bleeding eventually stops.
Eyespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:46   #17
Shinichi
Snow yet?

You may want to look at this,
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/2/mcy/4/62/0/yamaha_v_star_1100_silverado.aspx

1100 cc's, saddlebags(with stiffeners), windshield, looks great for two-up. I am actually looking at this one.

;c
Old 12-07-2004, 18:12   #18
cghammo

bdhawk,
Take a real serious look at the Honda VTX 1300! You shouldn't have to pay retail. I bought one in July, put a Honda windshield and light bar on it and still paid less than MSRP. My midlife crisis has been great!! Should have had it sooner!
cghammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 21:32   #19
Ryan_G19

Ahhhh...just go with a gixxer thou or a busa! Love my little gix, but long trips can be tiring.
Ryan_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:59   #20
norton

You might want to check out the Kawasaki Concours. if they don't still make new ones, there are plenty of used ones on the market.
Full fairing, shaft drive, easily removable hard luggage, 1000cc engine. Plus it has a large seat-if you are going to ride 2 up with the wife, the seat is very important. The Concours is a proven commodity, and is reasonably priced.
norton is offline   Reply With Quote