Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2005, 17:12   #1
hawserdr
Big Cheesey

Send a message via AIM to hawserdr
Got a friend going to Iraq =(

Hi all, my buddy just got activated for Iraq. I hate to see him go. He will be serving with 1-155th INF somewhere around Baghdad, I think.

I noticed his unit had a large variety of scopes and accessories on thier M-4s, I didn't think the Army allowed you to customize your gear. Shoot, if it was me, Id like to take a Bushy flat top upper.

Anyhow, just thought Id share that observation. Seemed kind of wierd to see so many guys with different parts... seen a few modified vests too. Blackhawk gear I was told.

Does anyone know, what a replacement soldier will be doing during his activation? He volunteered and will be going through 3 wks of mobilization "stuff" then heading over. He doesn't even know what he will be doing. Shots and stuff I bet.

Any ideas?

Thanks
John
hawserdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:22   #2
baileym76

Send a message via Yahoo to baileym76

I just finished serving for 2 years getting soldiers ready to go at Ft. Lewis, WA. The three week period consists of shots, personel, finance etc... He will also be sent the range to qualify and re-learn to shoot. He will also recieve lots of Common Task Training. This includes first-aid, decontamination, Nuclear, Biological, Chemical suit training. This will fill up most of his time. That and the usual army BS of sitting around and waiting. He will be attached to a unit that is short of personnel in his particular MOS and he will serve with them while deployed. He might be attached to a unit while here in the states, or he might not join them until he arrives overseas. That is done on a case by case basis.

Hope this helped.
Old 02-09-2005, 15:15   #3
WIG19
Light left on

Re: Got a friend going to Iraq =(

Quote:
Originally posted by hawserdr
I noticed his unit had a large variety of scopes and accessories on thier M-4s, I didn't think the Army allowed you to customize your gear.
Many units have their own equipment such as dot sights for their M4's, etc. However, many line unit personnel also buy their own from Blackhawk, Ranger Joe's, etc. Within reason they get some latitude (depending on the unit) to carry what they need to stay alive. Many initially bought their own body armor as well. My son-in-law during his last vacation in Afghanistan bought the tac vest himself, then traded with some Rumanians for some good SAPI plates before Rumsfeld et al got their act together.

Your buddy will go thru (at the mobstation in CONUS) a variety of training that hawser alluded to and it will also include things like IED ident, convoy & perimeter defense, night fire and, depending on how many are already qual'd, add'l training on crew-served stuff so there are backup crews (they gotta sleep sometime). When I say crew-served, I mean stuff like crew-assigned SAW, Mk-19 ;f and the .50.

Stay in touch with him & lend your support while he's over there. The kicking-door stage is nowhere close to over.
;?
(I work at a mobilization station; I wonder if he's going thru Atterbury, or..?)
Old 02-09-2005, 18:00   #4
jay.shebuski

WIG

..PM sent.

Jay
jay.shebuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 21:30   #5
nothing
Advertisement

Wow, what's your buddy's name, I might know him? PM me if you don't want to post it here. I've been with the 1-155 INF for 3 years, but I ended up at benning for IOBC instead of going to Iraq with them.

Before I left for benning I know we had M4's with Aimpoint CCOs and PAQ 4s althoughm they probably have PEQ 2s now. I'm not sure if they have BUI, but I don't see how that would be a problem if you wanted to use your own. I know alot of my guys were getting surefire flashlights and mounts.
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:13   #6
WIG19
Light left on

Re: WIG

Quote:
Originally posted by jay.shebuski
..PM sent.

Jay
Email reply to your AKO acct sent.
;?