Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2004, 17:45   #1
TomSplasky
Encase Elegance

Send a message via AIM to TomSplasky
New interest: Live DJing... help?

I'm interested in eventually getting setup for some Live DJing as well as some online stuff. I preferably want some good 18" subwoofers and decent top speaks. I'll need an equalizer, turntables, crossfader, all that jazz. I'll probably be mainly spinning trance/techno so keep that in mind.

This is an eventual project, not in the near future.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:59   #2
Berto
woo woo

Make sure to get a pair of those light thingys you wear on your head.

;f
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 16:09   #3
Anon1

You should check out the Linux software distribution named Planet CCRMA (read karma). It is a professional quality "studio in a pc" that was developed by Stanford and is used in their studios.

You can use the app named JACK which will allow you to setup a virtual patch rack with software plugins for eq, comp. etc, etc, etc and run it all through a pc.
Anon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:41   #4
glockfan33

Re: New interest: Live DJing... help?

Quote:
Originally posted by TomSplasky
I'm interested in eventually getting setup for some Live DJing as well as some online stuff. I preferably want some good 18" subwoofers and decent top speaks. I'll need an equalizer, turntables, crossfader, all that jazz. I'll probably be mainly spinning trance/techno so keep that in mind.

This is an eventual project, not in the near future.

Any suggestions?
As far as gear is concerned...

I'm an independent DJ here in PRK. I have a complete sound and light set-up. I'm running a pair of Bose 802 SeriesII, pair of Bose 502 Subwoofers which connects into a Bose controller/crossover and powered by a Crown Power Base 1 (for the 802s) and Power Base 2 (for the 502s) linked to a BBE 882 which connects into a Numark 200FX mixer. Got a pair of older Technics 1200 (when they first came out) and a Denon DN-2500 dual cd player/mixer everything plugged into a Furman power conditioner forgot the model (but also a gotta have). The set-up is a bit old but it's always done the job for me in all my events for the last 5-8 years w/zero problems. I have been able to handle medium size to full blown Grand Ball Rooms w/ this set up w/out any problems thus far.

Try JBL Eon & subwoofer combo, run them on 2 separate decent amps. like a Crown (I'm sold on these Crown mixers). Industry standard Technics 1200 cannot be beat when it comes to turntables. Get a good quality Pioneer or Roland mixer (they do will cost extra more but are heavy duty & durable). You'll need a Furman or equal power conditioner...You wouldn't wanna have a power surge in the middle of your event. Look into the BBE's as well. They can increase your sound by at least 8-15 db which counts alot specially in medium size to big venues.

I'll try to post a pic one of these days if I remember to bring a camera on one of my upcoming events.

Good luck.
Band of Glockers # 33/ Niner's Club # 333/ Model 1911 Club # 333/ TOP GUN 357Sig Club # 3333/ 40 S&W Club # 3340 (ran out of 3s)/ 10 Ring Club # 3333/ Heckler & Koch Club # 3333/ The Wheelhouse Club # 333/ The Kalashnikov Klub # 33/ Black Rifle Club # 333/ G1 Niners Club # 333/ The Sub Club # 3333/ Collectors Corner # 333/ MilSurp # 33
glockfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 19:54   #5
MGomez81

Tom, don't waste your dough on DJ'ing. It's a phase, you'll get over it. Buy more guns and study hard.

MGomez81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 23:28   #6
Danguard Ace

I can recommend dj'ing if for only one thing... females! If you're going to get into it for the "love of the music," forget about it.

Actually I used to spin a couple college radio stations, after hours (raves, more or less) and in a few clubs in Boston. It's a great hobby, but tough to make any real money in. I've got friends who have made it big in the underground dance music scene, but they all had other means of paying the bills. One was actually a doctor in NY and I bet he'll likely go back to medicine once the ride is over. ^8

If you can, get together with some people who are in the dj'ing/club scene. You'll get a feel for it through them.

I look back at it now as having been an expensive hobby. I've still got a couple pairs of EVs (full range and subs), a beat up board, two out of three 1200s and a few thousand records. I never got heavily into mixing cds. I love vinyl.

It's a tough business and everyone and his cousin wants to be a dj. Research and learn as much as you can before dropping serious dough on equipment.

But again, if you're wanting to get into it for the chics, just max out the credit cards.
Danguard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:17   #7
MGomez81

Quote:
Originally posted by Danguard Ace
But again, if you're wanting to get into it for the chics, just max out the credit cards.

Outstanding advice for someone who will have access to credit cards in a few years. ;U
MGomez81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:56   #8
Danguard Ace

Whoah Tex, I didn't know his age. Good point. Though I got my first three cards when I turned 18. And I did nearly max them out.;g

I was joking of course.^c
Danguard Ace is offline   Reply With Quote