Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-10-2004, 16:11   #1
BillK@tcmhmrs.o

Remington 7400 autoloader in .30'06

I am needing some advice, I did a search on other .30'06 Remington 7400 threads and didn't quite find what I needed. I am going back home for a few weeks to the Texas Panhandle- the Canadian River breaks to be more precise. My cousin has a ranch and is having some trouble with Coyotes marauding his critters. He and I at one time in our youth spent a summer thinning out a bunch of coyotes for his pappy - paid us $20 and found for each set of ears. I used an old Springfield '03 that had been sporterized and had a 3-9X Redfield scope. I made several 400+ yard shots using old 180 gr ball ammo. A good hit was instantly fatal. I suppose I made enough that summer to buy my textbooks there at WTSU that fall in Canyon,TX. There are no seasons for coyotes in Texas- you can kill them any time as long as you have a hunting license - they're considered nuisance pests.

Anyway... I was considering a Remington 7400 autoloader carbine (has a 4 round mag)in .30'06 as it is lighter than that old Springfield of Uncle Johns'. I also saw an Eagle Co aftermarket 10 round magazine for the gun in a recent Cheaper Than Dirt Catalog. Anybody got any ideas? I expect the shots will be offhand, prone, and (probably) sitting in brush as camo.The semiauto will help with the running shots and probable follow up shots.

I will also pack along my Ruger Blackhawk in 45Colt for the feral hogs that are in the cottonwood copses there. I can taste the bacon and smell the campfire and fresh coffee now as I type this!
BillK@tcmhmrs.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 19:19   #2
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Im not into Remington autoloaders--ill take a good bolt action.The other idea i had--i wish i was coming with you!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 19:24   #3
ucsdryder

30.06 is getting a little big for autoloader. If you do decide to go with it you can get some varmit load, I don't know what gr. is the smallest, seems like they make a 100gr. bullet or something around that size. That'll give you a little more distance. There are a lot better choices for varmit, but if that's all you got then go with it. I shoot a Winchester Model 70 pre '64 30-06 and have shot many coyotes with it. I just don't know about the semi-auto.

GM
ucsdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 21:31   #4
Hunterjbb

Send a message via ICQ to Hunterjbb
well all things considered

a 7400 would work just fine..125gr bullets.. although if your going to buy something.. in auto..mabye a .223 AR type weapon with a flatop to add a scope..20" barrel and your good to go.. and you can get 30 round mags for them.. Probably by the time your done about the same price..

Check out the Rock River Arms or Bushmaster..

Or if your looking for something real spify i'd say you could use either a 25.06 or a 270 or one of the new Short magnums..

I have a pump remington 760.. and they are great guns, very accurate fast handling and you can get off follow ups pretty dern quick.

There seems to be a whole array of newer cartridges out there to choose from.. of course getting ammo may pose a challenge for some.. 223 you can get just about anywhere.

good luck, good shooting.
Hunterjbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 22:01   #5
muddydog

my remington 742 30-06 is my GO TO GUN..i have had that gun since i bought it in 1982 at the ripe age of 12. the 742's are a little better made..but the 7400 series is a quality gun as well.

hundreds of deer...elk, hogs...coyotes have fallen to the dreaded 180 winchester old school silvertip load since 1982.

my gun is a 1 MOA shooter. dont let anyone tell you an auto cant hang with a stock bolt gun.i have had a leupold 3x9 on top with a redfield 1 piece base before, but now i have a set of warne detachable rings and bases and a 3200 elite 1.5x4.5 firefly sits on it now.

i have a BAR 308 that is a 1.5 MOA gun with the above leupold.

the rifle is also set up with tritium sights.

i have never had a malfunction..not one.
farthest shot ever 250 yards. 1 shot kill on a malamute chasing a heifer.

whats this BS about big for an autoloader..
the greatest auto loading rifle ever made was a 30-06..the M1.

a 150gr or 180 grainers shoots great out to 300..if you practice..stick with factory mags..big mags ruin the quickness of the rifle.

you'll be able to buy 30-06 ammo at any stop and rob in North America.

lets see. 7400 used..$300 dollars..new $425... scope and mounts..$200-250.. and you cant take anything in North America with it..
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 22:07   #6
paynter2
It ain't over

If I were going to get another gun for varmints AND deer, it would not be a 30-06. I'd prefer something smaller. But, as you said, it will do the job.

I shot a 742 30-06 for years. Never malfunctioned. Great old cannon. However, the triggers on autoloaders don't seem to be as precise as bolt actions - at least the autos i've used.

I'd try out the 7400 before buying one. I think you'll find the trigger is fine for deer. But, long range coyote shooting may leave you lacking.

Good luck - and let us know how it goes and what you decide. Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:31   #7
shrpshtr

Send a message via ICQ to shrpshtr Send a message via AIM to shrpshtr
if the 7400 shoots anything like the 7600 (pump model) you won't have a bit of problems with it. dead-nuts accurate and durable as can be. i agree about the .06 being a little big. for coyotes, i would look for the .243 or .270 at the biggest. just my opinion though... eitherway, have a good time and let us know how you do.

.40 S&W Club #24
Model 1911 Club #42
Carolina Glockers #24
HFC #24
NRA
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 14:13   #8
muddydog

the best thing about coyote shooting with '06's and .308's.

they are KABoooommmed. DRT...
Old 12-13-2004, 21:00   #9
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

I have a 7400 .30-06 Carbine. Great rifle. However, for coyotes, of which I have shot a lot, the .30-06 does carry a bit of unecessary recoil, noise and knock-down for coyotes. I'd opt for a .243, or a 7mm-08. Both are based on the shorter more efficient .308 case. They both can reach out to 500 yards if you know what you are doing. The .223 is fine also, but not deer suitable, if that matters to you. Kel-Tecs SU-16 would be a good option in .223. It uses AR mags, has a flat top style rail for scope mounting, has an integral bi-pod and costs about $425, over $200 less than a .223 flat-top. Savages, Tikas, Even Weatherby Vanguards can all be had in those calibers for around $400 to $450 in a bolt gun.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 23:57   #10
muddydog

i fail to understand why so many people say a 30-06 has a "recoil" factor.

you can go to any part of the eastern Ok and western AR and find 11 and 12 year old boys that routinely hunt with them...

yet..

i see over and over about grown men writing about the negatives of the recoil the caliber has..

i just dont get it...

isnt it UNAMERICAN to say a catridge has too much knockdown power for an animal..
Old 12-14-2004, 17:21   #11
paynter2
It ain't over

Quote:
Originally posted by muddydog
i fail to understand why so many people say a 30-06 has a "recoil" factor.

you can go to any part of the eastern Ok and western AR and find 11 and 12 year old boys that routinely hunt with them...

yet..

i see over and over about grown men writing about the negatives of the recoil the caliber has..

i just dont get it...

isnt it UNAMERICAN to say a catridge has too much knockdown power for an animal..
I don't care one bit about recoil - I use a .243 or 6mm instead of my 30-06 because of the results. I don't use the 30-06 for the same reason I don't use a .50BMG - I don't need that much energy to kill a deer. my 30-06 routinly exits the deer on the opposite side of impact - wasting how much energy? My .24 caliber rounds generally stay inside the animal using up ALL the available energy - and usually killing the animal where it stands.

So, the question as I see it is: Is X% of the 30-06 greater than 100% of the 243? My experience is no. That's why I use the .243. Your experience may be different.