SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2004, 05:04   #1
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

how long to leave the dog out???

how long would you guys leave your dog out in cold weather?

i deliver to this house once in a while...when i first started, it wouldn't get below 60 degrees...not a big deal, i go out in shorts at anything above 60 most the time.

every time i go to this house, this beautiful Golden barks his ass off at me (like a good dog should) from the back yard. now, its quite possible that they let the pup out because they know someone is coming and don't wanna deal with restraining the dog from greeting me/defending the house...or maybe they leave him in the yard all the time.

as it gets colder, windchill and all, i go to this house, and the dogs in the backyard. i'm thinking, "DAMN, ITS COLD!"

naturally the dog has a nice thick coat, and my pup has a double coat, but i still don't like to leave her outside for more than 30 mins max in the cold.

when i let her in, her fur is really cold feeling, but only for a couple mins...then shes at room temp again. her skin is much warmer at all times...i still don't like to leave her outside, but she LOVES being outside...i always end up putting her out for a bit, letting her in for 10 or 20 mins, then letting her out again at her insistance.

anyways, in weather you think of as COLD, how long would you leave your dog out?

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:30   #2
Dandapani

All my dogs, 4, are house dogs. They are NEVER left out. I take them out, observe them doing their business, and bring them back in. They are only out when I'm working in the yard or clearing the woods. Dogs are pack animals. When bought into a human family, you become the pack. They want to be with you. Dogs left outside or chained to a house are not happy nor in a normal state of mind.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:57   #3
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

Quote:
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
All my dogs, 4, are house dogs. They are NEVER left out. I take them out, observe them doing their business, and bring them back in. They are only out when I'm working in the yard or clearing the woods. Dogs are pack animals. When bought into a human family, you become the pack. They want to be with you. Dogs left outside or chained to a house are not happy nor in a normal state of mind.
my pup likes to be let outside for a while...she regards it her 'job,' to make sure the yard is kept empty of squirrels, birds, and other animals.

often times i'll peek out the window at her, and she'll be sitting or laying in the middle of the yard, keeping watch. hell, the only time shes ever barked at someone right away was when they were in the backyard (cable guy, i had her out to pee on a leash).

she'll chase (or herd, perhaps) anything out of her yard...when my g/f brings her dog (Aussie mix, loves to herd) down, they'll work as a team to patrol the yard...its actually quite amazing to watch how they work together without verbal communication like we would use.

leaving a dog outside doesn't necessarily bother them at all...i suppose it depends on the dog. some are real lapdogs, some like to be independant, and some are a mix.

when my dog is outside, she controls her yard. inside, shes a shadow/lapdog thru and thru.

"We'll meet again...don't know where, don't know when; but I know we'll meet again, some sunny day."
Old 12-18-2004, 12:44   #4
WolfmanGK
Super Plump

My dog knows that when he barks, it is time to come in. Sometimes he just likes to watch the cars go by, and be outside of the house. He's a good boy, late at night when it's too late for a bark he will usually give a "woof" that I can hear, cos he's a big dog, and his barks are loud.
WolfmanGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 13:18   #5
Jaegergirl
Proud2BAmerican

my dog is a house dog so the only time he is outside when it's cold is to go to the bathroom or to play. we have a 6ft privacy fence around our backyard so he's able to roam or "patrol" the backyard (he loves to chase the squirrels and they love to taunt him) without having to be leashed but when it's cold out, i wouldn't keep him out there for longer than 20-30 minutes.
Ohio Glockers #68
In memory of my brother, Rick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Proud parent of a Young Marine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jaegergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 14:47   #6
tony4311

When I had a dog we left her outside until she came up to the door and barked to get back in. If they're not bothered by the cold there's no harm.
tony4311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 00:12   #7
Ender
ComfortablyNumb

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanGK
My dog knows that when he barks, it is time to come in. Sometimes he just likes to watch the cars go by, and be outside of the house. He's a good boy, late at night when it's too late for a bark he will usually give a "woof" that I can hear, cos he's a big dog, and his barks are loud.
Reagan isn't a huge GSD...about 75 lbs, which is average-ish for a female. she has a VERY male sounding ferocious type bark...but she doesn't use it often. lately shes been barking rather randomly...i assume she hears something outside that she doesn't like, because i'll look at her, and she'll be standing in the living room like, "yeah, i barked, so what!?!"

maybe its the early morning paper guy or something...