SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2004, 15:47   #1
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fire Extinguisher Recommendations?

I'm looking to put a fire extinguisher or two in my duplex (and also probably my GF's apartment), but I don't know anything about the different kinds and what the best ones are. I know there are some specialized for certain fires and also some that are general purpose, but what should I get if I wanted to get the best? Also, what if I wanted to get a good one to put in my diesel truck? Thanks a ton.
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 23:21   #2
ClydeG19

Get a 2.5 lb ABC extinguisher from your local superstore. I've never really looked for them there, but I'm sure they have them. That extinguisher will be enough to take out any stove fire or whatnot. If you can't do it with that, then you'll need some outside help. For instance, if you wake up in the middle of the night with the smoke detectors going off and smoke is covering the upper portions of the room, I wouldn't recommend searching for the source of the smoke with your trusty 2.5lb ABC. Get out and dial out.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 23:32   #3
ClydeG19

Oh yea...an ABC of similar size will do fine for your truck as well.

Since you asked and I'm bored, I'll get to the technical aspects of your question.

Fire extinguishers are rated by the amount of fire they can douse given the substance on fire. The ABC extinguisher is rated to knock down Class A, Class B, and Class C fires. It will not be effective on Class D or K fires.

A Class A fuel would be wood products or plastics that you would find in most items out there today. Class B fires are liquid fires such as burning alcohol or gasoline. Class C fires are energized equipment such as a toaster oven. Once the electricity is removed by blowing the fuse, unplugging, etc, it can be treated as a Class A fire. A Class D fire is a burning metal such as magnesium. A Class K fire is a new class based on cooking oils used in fast food restaurants.

Once a fire is ignited, it needs four things to continue: heat, fuel, O2, and a self sustaining chemical reaction. An ABC extinguisher would inhibit the chemical reaction from taking place, thereby putting out the fire. Keep in mind that the heat has not been taken away, so you must watch to make sure the fire does not reignite or ignite another nearby fuel source.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 12:30   #4
N2DFire
Who Me ???

Phil - you'd already gotten some great responses to this in GNG when I read it last night, so I won't bother to rattle on a lot. I'd simply suggest that IF you have room & $$ then go for a 10Lb instead (Esp in the truck - never know what else you might drive up on).

As was also mentioned in the other thread - mount them away from the stove in the kitchen so as to make it easier & safer to reach in the event that you do need it.

Also invest in some good smoke/heat detectors (at least 1 per floor).

Just don't let the fact that you have an extinguisher lull you into thinking you can beat a fire. Call the FD (or have someone else do it) BEFORE you attempt to put it out. If you get it out then great we'll turn around and go home. If not then we're already on the way and we're not behind the curve on the fire b/c you waited before calling us.

Kudos to you for trying to be proactive. Keep up the good work.
Big Dawg #1156, Black Rifle #20, GOTOD #3, Fire & EMS Talk #2302
N2DFire is offline   Reply With Quote