Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2004, 20:56   #1
jemontgomery
GEMINI

Send a message via Yahoo to jemontgomery
ccw on your scooter

remember a post of "how do you carry a concealed weapon on your bike" recently. here's the answer; just got mine and love it!
any size pistol will fit inside plus other m/c small items.

"thigh pack" by sabergear (see their link for pictures.
www.sabergear.com

the usual: not affiliated with sabergear in any way other than a satisfied customer.
Old 12-30-2004, 21:55   #2
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

I had this discussion on a moto board that I frequent that has a lot of TX CHL folks on it. The general consensus of most of these folks is that they do NOT carry on-body while riding because of what could happen if they take a fall.

Having a solid chunk of metal strapped to your leg, hip, sob, or even in a shoulder holster can have some severe consequences when your body hits the pavement at 55 mph. ;P

Most of them carried in a tank bag, some under the seat, others in a bag behind them.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 17:07   #3
DaisyCutter

I ride desert enduro type stuff. The pistol goes in the camelback. It's not really very accessible, but it only serves as a backup. My CR500R will make short work of anything that attempts to get a piece of me.
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 19:21   #4
EZFLY80

I carry my kimber 3" in a highnoon holster. Its good because I can tuck my shirt in over the holster so its not visible if my shirt comes up.
EZFLY80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 21:13   #5
jemontgomery
GEMINI

you're missing the point

this "holster" or "leg pack" rides on a belt and has a leg strap with easy access zippers. it rides low enough to be called a "quick-draw holster" it is not an "obvious " holster and also carrys all those small things we need eg: cell phone, keys, knife,pliers,etc.
as to damage to my leg in an accicent: i carry a G-23 (small and flat) it would act like another thigh pad.
when i ride (an FZ-1) i wear jeans with a carhart over-all, leg protectors, armored jacket, gloves and full face arai helmet.
that small piece of metal riding on my right thigh is not going to cause any more damage than asphalt could.

it was just a thought guys for those who have been looking for an easy access holster that can be carried anywhere. didn't ask for a safety lecture or "my idea is better than yours"
KEP THE SHINY SIDE UP C-ya
Old 01-03-2005, 22:51   #6
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

I'm glad you have all that gear to protect you as you apparently are pretty thin-skinned.

No one was giving a safety lecture; no one was saying their idea was better than yours. Lighten up, Francis.

As to your G23 acting like another thigh pad... do you plan to use sheet metal for your spinal protection in the future? ;f

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 22:45   #7
ArmyCop

Send a message via AIM to ArmyCop
Looked at the link. Looks good to me. Looks like you could use it for general casual carry anywhere, not just on the bike. Thanks..
Old 01-06-2005, 20:02   #8
MatGlock

"Most of them carried in a tank bag, some under the seat, others in a bag behind them."

That works great until you go to buy gas.

I have been known to keep various handguns in the front pocket of an Aerostitch jacket. That way you have it with you, it is not strapped to spine or pelvis and when you take your jacket off when you stop it is not exposed.
MatGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:01   #9
jemontgomery
GEMINI

thigh pack

texas t:
must apologize for my response to your post.
but i get annoyed when anyone posts on some subject (as i did)with the admonition that it is "for information only". and then get responses that argue against the item.

i wasn't looking for a dialogue on the realative saftey of the item;
i merely said that the thigh pack was an alternative for those looking for a carry option.
on the subject of a steel spine protector: sounds good to me, considerinmg that my jacket has a hard foam back protector already and steel would be better for abrasion protection that foam.

i was thinking of options: considering the likelyhood of a crash vs need for quick access to a pistol, i hope i never encounter either.
but, i would rather be alive and bruised than dead because i was fumbling in my jacket trying to get to a weapon when attacked.
as an aside: oddly, every time i'v gon down on a bike it has been a low-side to the left side. i've never gone down on my right side and all three times i have gone down it was intentional (because if i hadn't the impending head on would have been worse).

another thing about this thigh-pack, is that walking around with it looks better to me than a fanny pack and access to pistols, cell phones, etc. is easier.
keep the shiney side up!
Old 01-08-2005, 16:04   #10
ateamer
NRA4EVR

I leave my gun in the trunk of my Gold Wing, or carry in an inside pocket if I am wearing a vest.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 23:26   #11
Bullwinkle J Moose
Quick! Duck!

Re: thigh pack

Quote:
Originally posted by jemontgomery
...all three times i have gone down it was intentional (because if i hadn't the impending head on would have been worse).
In 30 years and 200k miles of riding I've never been able to convince myself that intentionally wrecking my bike to avoid another wreck is better than keeping my bike upright, under my control, and using the brakes and steering to avoid a collision. But whatever works for you... ;P
Old 01-09-2005, 07:59   #12
MatGlock

"In 30 years and 200k miles of riding I've never been able to convince myself that intentionally wrecking my bike to avoid another wreck is better than keeping my bike upright, under my control, and using the brakes and steering to avoid a collision. But whatever works for you... "

As a MSF instructor I second this.

jemontgomery, I highly recommend you look into some motorycle safety training or at least consider revising your crash philosophy. Sounds like concealed carry is the least of your worries when you are on your cycle.

Remember "I had to lay the bike down" translates to "I panacked, locked up the rear wheel, forgot about my front brake and crashed."
Old 01-09-2005, 10:54   #13
TreeTrooper
Shhhhh...

I carry my pistol in my AeroStich, and rely on the speed and agility of my scooter to get me away from trouble before I would need to use it.
Big Dawg #1175
Niner's Club #116
Pennsylvania Glocker #80
Top Gun 357 SIG #116
Sub Club #116
TreeTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 14:10   #14
Unbridled Rage
Swollen Member

I use a no-name sholder holster for my 2" Taurus M85 snubbie.

My Tomcat .32 fits (with pocket holster) inside front handwarmer pockets of my mesh jacket.

I don't tend to be an aggressiver rider. If I'm riding a sportbike I would probably carry off body anyway. Perhaps a fanny pack (when stopped)?

D
Unbridled Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 21:22   #15
jemontgomery
GEMINI

matclock

didn't say i "wrecked my bike" said i chose to go down than a worse alternative.
wasn't panic, was lesser of two evils. 1. avoided a head on with an oncoming veh in my lane by heading for the side of the road; when i saw it had a 3 foot ditch, i layed it down. picked it up and drove home. (broken mirror) 2. riding in dirt, dumped it to left side to avoid falling off an embankment. 3. was my falt ,went into a left hand curve too hot and was heading for a tree, layed it down in gravel.(scratched chrome enguard bar).

that's all in 43 years of riding (i don't know how many miles).
have taken MSF courses, didn't learn anything i didn't already know but they were good for a refresher course.

the original subject was abut a "thigh pack as an option" if you recall.
Old 01-10-2005, 16:38   #16
MatGlock

Sorry we got off track. The thigh pack does look like a decent option.

I am just trying to help. Motorcycles are made to stop and be controlled when they are upright. Laying it down is never a good option.

It was ignorant of me to suggest the MSF course. If you do not chose to learn from your experience, I am not surprised that you did not learn anything in the course.

Best of Luck.
Old 01-10-2005, 22:13   #17
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

Jacket pocket carry is my method while on the bike. My P32 is light, thin and would just push into the side of my stomach and not into any bones should I have a dismount. Eventually I'll get a snubbie or Kahr to takes it's place.

Regards,
Glen

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 16:16   #18
ff19106

Send a message via Yahoo to ff19106
CCW on Bike

I.W.B. holster or inside Gun pocket of my Vanson Force Leather Jacket.

Shoot Smart-N-Shoot Straight!
ff19106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 16:40   #19
Ksrad
Glock-N-Canyon

G23C In Icon Primer Tank Bag - 04 GSXR 1000
Ksrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 15:35   #20
p5pilot

I asked this same question on a 'packing.org' and this is probably the best...for ME anyway...response I got.
Understanding that my Daughter and I ride Dual Sport, so in the dirt, I'll have on a chest protector, and on the street I'll have on a jacket. I do NOT have one of these yet, but am seriously considering it.
http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm
Click on the "Chest Holster" on the right there.
I was very concerned about my G-22 falling out, as I am going to get the 'butt down', but was 'assured' by the manufaturer, that I won't have that problem.

Tom