Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-30-2004, 23:25   #1
ysr_racer

Website Review Please??

Hi, I'm trying to help out the CSCA (CA Sporting Clays Assoc).

Here's what I have so far. It's on my host, so the only working link is the 2005 state shoot.(don't reply to webmaster)

Can you guys take a look and tell me what you think?

Thanks, Brad

http://members.cox.net/calclays/

Last edited by ysr_racer; 12-30-2004 at 23:40..
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 00:22   #2
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

The site itself looks fine.

For the 2005 California State Sporting Clays Championship you might want to include some more info like start time, match fees, match sponsors and prizes if any, catering if any, match hotel if any and the max number of shooters allowed.

Overall I'll give you a B-, if it was anybody else I would have said A-! ;f
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:57   #3
ysr_racer

DG, ya' still crack me up.

I only know 2 guys that were mentioned on TV. You on Shooting USA and my buddy Tim Ring, he killed a bank guard in AZ.

Keep up the good work,
Old 12-31-2004, 08:18   #4
morpheusfx

Lose the animated Gifs on the front page.
You can see the background.

If you want something with a little motion, how about having the clays break and disappear when a link is rolled over. Still would have to fix the background. Use jpegs with the same background color. That also means you have to lose the background photo.
It's hard to tell what it is anyway.

Cut the white out of the logo edge.

NCSA Link is dead, I see you mentioned that on your post.

Fix your spacing so that when links are clicked, the logo and link position don't jump

State shoots and results do not appear on all pages.

Center information on state shoots page and pn results page.

Not as nice as Dales comments, but more useful I think.
Hope it helps
Big Dawg #1302
morpheusfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 17:10   #5
AZBob
CLM Number 142
0-60 < 2s

I do this for a living, so consider this a professional critique and nothing more:

1. Put the links on the first page at the top of the page so a person does not need to scroll to get to them, and keep them in the same place on every page so a user knows where to go to navigate to different pages.

2. Keep the typeface family for the entire page the same. You have a serif and sans-serif typeface (specifically, Times New Roman, and Tahoma, as it is rendered in my browser) on the same page, with no apparent distinction as to why. Make everything a sans-serif typeface specifically designed for web page presentation, such as Tahoma. The reason being that serif typefaces generally do not display very well at the low resolution of displays (75dpi and less).

3. On the schedules page, remove the three-dimensional borders from the table (they make it look "old", i.e. out-dated) and change its width to the width of the page (i.e. make it 100% instead of 800). If you switch over to CSS (see below), you can make the borders of the table a single pixel to help align the user's eye. However, I don't recommend creating vertical lines because that will create a box of boxes, also known as "negative space", and will cause it to be difficult for the user to actually read the words inside the table.

4. Remove the background picture. It's gray, which makes it dreary to begin with (to me, it makes me think of rain), but it also makes the page appear amateurish. Also, it repeats in the lower 100 pixels or so on my browser, making it look very strange. Just set the background of the page to white.

5. Once the background picture is removed, reduce the weight of the main text on the main page to normal, from bold, since it's probably bold so you can see it over the busy background graphic.

6. Remove the setting of the width of the main, invisible table to 800 pixels. There's no need to artificially restrict the width of the area. Make it 100% so people with higher resolution settings can see more.

7. Remove the italics from the main link, again, due to the low resolution of displays, italics generally do not render well.

8. Remove the white border from your main logo (you can do that by filling that space with some odd color that does not appear anywhere else in the logo, save the graphic as a .gif, and set the odd color as the transparency color while saving).

9. Perform the same step on the exploding clay graphic, but you will need a slightly more sophisticated application because you need to fix each frame of the animated .gif.

Additionally, think about changing over to using cascading stylesheets. I looked at the HTML and you have some non-existent attributes (such as "font face") set, and it will make it easier to maintain a consistent look throughout the pages.

HTH. If not, ignore.
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 18:35   #6
ysr_racer

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The only 2 pages I worked on are

http://members.cox.net/calclays

and

http://members.cox.net/calclays/stateshoot.htm

If you click on any of the the links, it takes you to the "live pages". Mine are just dummies.

my page: http://members.cox.net/calclays

live page: http://www.calclays.com

P.S. what are cascading stylesheets, CCS & Tahoma?

brad g.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 12-31-2004 at 18:39..
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 20:30   #7
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally posted by morpheusfx

Not as nice as Dales comments, but more useful I think.
Hope it helps
Yo morph, I'm a shooter, not a website guy. I didn't notice all the website stuff because I don't know jack about all of that, I just commented on the shooting related stuff, which is what I know.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 20:59   #8
ysr_racer

OK,

I changed the background, set all the font to Tahoma put the "Nav Bar" on top & set the tabels to 100%.

I only worked on http://members.cox.net/calclays/

Disregard any of the links.

What do you guys think now?
Old 01-02-2005, 00:09   #9
newbiedoobiedoo
Lurker Member

The way its layout is now, my entire browser window it taken up with the logo, menu and campionship link. You might think about placing the logo and menu vertical along the left hand column leaving the rest of the page open to the right for content. If this is not desireable, think about shrinking the logo and placing logo and menu together on a single line at the top of the page.

If you keep the horizontal menu, shrink the seperator logo some and align the links vertically with the center of the seperator.

I find the animated clay annoying after a while. Some things you might consider besides dropping it altogether are limiting the number or frequency of the repititions, slowing down (and otherwise improving) the animation and limiting its presentation to either before or after the championship link.
newbiedoobiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 18:00   #10
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

;h
"Weapons are tools of power. In the hands of the state they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals they are tools of evil. In the hands of free and decent citizens they are tools of liberty. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Eddie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 20:00   #11
SamBuca

Send a message via AIM to SamBuca
templatemonster.com

For free templates with less clutter, oswd.org.
Old 01-03-2005, 20:07   #12
Ljunatic
On The Fringe

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleGribble
Yo morph, I'm a shooter, not a website guy.
Me too!

maybe some changes have already been made , but it looked good to me,and the important thing is, I know when and where the shoot is.
Ljunatic is offline   Reply With Quote