Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:56   #1
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

Bass boats--Triton,Nitro,Ranger,Skeeter--Which one??

I have decided to start looking at bass boats(used),and would like to know which brands you guys think are the best,and why.Triton,Nitro,Ranger,Skeeter,they all look pretty good,but i dont know the advantages of one over the others.Thanks for all your help guys!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 20:11   #2
Glk23

I have been fishing for a long time and many tourneys as well. The best used boat is one that has been garage kept. Serious bassers treat their boats like their kids, with love and care. Personally I love the Tritons but you can't go wrong with any of those names. Just find one that has all the goodies that you want and know how it was cared for and any service records on the engine. In most cases the engines these days there as much as the boats. Have a cert. mechanic check the motor and by all means test run the boat yourself. Good luck. Here to help.
Glk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 18:47   #3
Edge

Based upon my experiences... Whichever one doesn't have a Mercury motor or plywood decking gets priority.

I admit to being biased against Mercury motors based upon buying an older Ranger with a Mercury motor which I then spent $500+ on and still doesn't start with a darn (runs well enough once running though). I'm biased against plywood decking as a result of having to replace the plywood flooring on the boat. I do have to say that I was able to go online with Ranger and get customer service who sent me a manual for that older boat promptly and without cost. I think the newer Rangers may be fine and maybe even the newer Mercury motors...

Glk23 had a lot of good points.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:08   #4
JHill

My mom fishes WBFA and has a sponsor thru Champion Boats, don't rule them out...
Old 01-04-2005, 21:33   #5
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

My dad has a 19' Ranger 1997 Classic boat and it rides great. A heavy boat and has a 175 FICHT motor. Not real fast (about 55 on the GPS) but a good smooth ride. He has had no problems other than the motor. Tons of problems with his motor. My brother has a 21' Skeeter with a 225 on the back and it hauls some serious @$$. Eighty-five is the fastest he has had it on the GPS and he was pretty well bottomed out on the throttle. a very comfortable ride too. I have ridden in Tritons and Nitros as well. Not a big fan personally but different strokes for different folks. Champions are good boats as well. I have never ridden in one but I have heard nothing but good things. Best advice I can give is get one used. There is so much of a mark up for new boats that it is not worth it. They depreciate very fast and you ca seriously get one that is 2-3 years old for as much as 10-15K less. Just make sure that it is looked over very well and there are no stress cracks or other blemishes.
Old 01-05-2005, 13:38   #6
gatorfish

You could also consider a saltwater flats boat. There are numerous choices in all prices ranges. They are durable, light and efficient.

You can get a new 17' boat that wieghs 500 lbsm has live wells and rod storage, runs in 6 inches of water at 40 mph on a 60hp motor. all for around $15-17K.

just another option....
gatorfish is offline   Reply With Quote