Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:03   #1
gaboonviper85

Send a message via AIM to gaboonviper85 Send a message via Yahoo to gaboonviper85
Ccw for perm-resident alien...(Canadian)

Hey guys...been awhile sense I last posted:-(

anyway...I know non citizens can get ccw permits as my mom had one (she let it expire) but anyway I've been seriously thinking about going threw with it but I live in Philly where it seems state laws don't matter:-(. Anyone know if it's possible for me to get a ccw? If Philly won't issue one to me is there another route I can take?
gaboonviper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 14:34   #2
Kith

Gun Permit Unit
990 Spring Garden Street, 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19123

215-685-3656

The ladies working in that office are all very nice people. Best thing you can do is go down and ask about it, they'll be happy to tell you one way or another, and what you need to provide if you can get one.

If you want another county in PA to issue the license, you must change your legal residence to that county before applying for it.

If Philadelphia denies your license, you may still be able to get it if the reasons for denial can be resolved.

If Philadelphia denies your license, and you can't clear up the reason for denial, chances are you won't be able to get it in any other counties in PA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
That's what I like about the Internet. It's safe to be among idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi
Indignation leads to itself. Education leads to solutions.
Kith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 17:45   #3
gaboonviper85

Send a message via AIM to gaboonviper85 Send a message via Yahoo to gaboonviper85
Yeah I spoke to them on the phone and the lady seemed very nice! Buuut I've been reading alot on Philly cops violating peoples rights to carry ( taking guns from ccw holders and not giving them back)....

Probably not worth my time of this is how things are done here:-(. Cops here in upper northeast seem to have their stuff together but Philly is Philly!
gaboonviper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 21:17   #4
Torontogunguy

Here's a 'whatif'.............
American Citizen but not presently permanent resident (living in Canada...we travel a lot for business, etc.)
Have permits requiring NICS from several states including PA.
Went to renew my PA permit and got a sticky note stating "We do not process Canadians".
Called and explained that I was a US Citizen and simply renewing my permit.
Sorry, we do not process Canadians and will not issue a PICS number to the sheriff.
Sheriff anxious to issue permit renewal.
AG not interested in hearing about any of it.... if I have any issues I need to file in court.

Keep looking over your shoulders guys. Something funny going on here.
I have gone over the statutes repeatedly and can find no reference to the need to be a PA nor a US resident (unlike FL where you must be a US resident to get a FL non-res permit).

In any event, this will all become moot in a year or two as our contracts here expire and we return stateside to live.

It is apparently the State Police that have set this rule (!?!?).

Our other non-res permits cover us in PA so we are not terribly concerned excepting that we do NOT believe that police or clerks should be setting the rules.

Do you?
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 22:01   #5
Kobura
Resident Reptil

Send a message via AIM to Kobura Send a message via MSN to Kobura Send a message via Yahoo to Kobura Send a message via Skype™ to Kobura
(pre-note, I'm a legal PA-resident CCW holder of Northampton)
I'll be carrying my Glock on my side with the 3x13+1 come hell or high water. As my phrase to my friends is as far as "you carry too many bullets":

"It'll be forty .40 on my hip and nary a threat upon my lip"

I'll carry as long as they continue to license me. And as long as I'm qualified to hold that license, I'll carry. Even if they won't issue me my license anymore.

(Basically saying, go ahead and deny me my permit without me having DONE something worth that decision. If carrying a gun makes me an outlaw, then only outlaws will have guns by that point anyway, and I'm always going to be on the side of those with the gun [mine])
Kobura is offline   Reply With Quote