SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2005, 23:20   #1
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

LG VX3200 phone - connect to computer, data mgt -how to?

With my dad's move the first wknd of Dec to a retirement apartment, following my Mom's death on 11/18, there was going to be a lag of nearly a wk before the landline there w/be hooked up, plus he'd "wanted a cell phone" for months. So, I was able to upgrade my cellular plan w/Alltel, add a line for him, and get an additional phone (the later ended up costing $0.95 - not bad)and stay w/in the same price range I was already paying because the plan expansion was at a bundled 'on sale' price. I gave him my older Motorola T2xxx since the buttons are raised, the operation is simplier than the new phones, etc. Anyway, that's the (probably unecessary) background.

I really need to expand my use of my LG VX3200 into the 'data management' area, but know nothing about all this new-fangled cell phone/data stuff. From what I understand just generally, this particular phone can be connected to the computer via special USB cable of some kind .... and then of course, I need whichever software is used to basically manage the cell phone's stored data and such much like I use my PDA and the desktop info mgt software/syncing that goes with the PDA. The phone is one of those clamshell styles.

I've tried googling for cables (search string: USB converter LG cellular VX3200), but I know next to nothing about what it is I need.... I'm hesitant to shell out money for a cable I don't even know for sure is the right one. Example, google returns search result pages like: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/1800mobiles/dpa-ca1.html
... cable to the serial end of the converter cable to allow you to plug into a USB port. ... Nokia 3589i, Motorola V120e, Motorola V60s, LG VX3200, LG VX4500
Quote:
Susteen DPA-CA1 Serial Port to USB Data Cable Converter

Product Details:
DataPilot Serial to USB Converter cable The converter data cable is for computers that do not have a serial port. This converter cable connects your serial cable to the serial end of the converter cable to allow you to plug into a USB port. (Cable and drivers only).
Item Code: 435463 - Samsung DPA-CA1
Regular price: $34.99
Our price: $27.59
http://www.newyorkcellphone.com/home/datacablepage.html
Quote:
Cell Phone Data Cable Kits.
Our cell phone data cable kits come with a CD rom driver loader. These cell phone data cables are a perfect way to connect your phone to your computer. Our cell phone data cables do not come with software to do ringtunes and edit your address book. Your will need to purchase this software separatly to do these functions with your new cellular phone data cable.
$24.99
COMES WITH USB DATA CABLE AND CD ROM DRIVER

THE DATA CABLE WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO THE FOLLOWING PROVIDING YOU ALREADY HAVE A PROGRAM OR SOFTWARE TO DO THESE FUNCTIONS. THE DATA CABLE WE SEND TO YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY INSTRUCTIONS TO TELL YOU HOW TO PERFORM THE FOLLOWING. SOME WEBSITES OR PROVIDER WEBSITES WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO THE FOLLOWING WITH A DATA CABLE BUT YOU WOULD NEED TO CHECK WITH YOUR PROVIDER. Benefits:
Wireless Internet Access
Send/Receive E-Mail
FTP (Upload/Download Files)
Download Music and Bitmap Data
Phone Book/Music/Short Message Editing
Plug-and-Play 100% compatibility
Huh?

I don't know enough about what I need to be able to determine whether an NON-oem source is selling me the right thing :(

I have no interest in 'customized ring tones' and that other silly stuff, but the phone does have a rudimentary calendar which would come in really handy - but no way can I do text entry using a cell phone keypad-argh. I also can't imagine using the cell phone for Net access... simply to awkward keypad wise (3 letters + the number assigned to each button, etc.) and how on earth one c/view a webpage or email on a little screen I can't fathom. I don't need nor plan to store any "music" in the phone or mess around w/mp3's, etc. It also has 'notepad' section which w/be helpful so long as I don't have to try to type on the darn keys, but rather, keep documented info in there and access it.

http://www.wirelessgalaxy.com/ac/lg_vx3200_ac.html
Quote:
Data Pilot's Cellular Phone Data Transfer Suite for LG VX3200

Get on the Net using your cell phone as a wireless modem for your PC. Synchronize your Phone book with your Microsoft Outlook address book and transfer information back and forth between your PC and Cell Phone. Features like SMS Manager, Ring tone Composer, Image Editor may be also available on some models. Contains Software CD and USB Cable.
Retail Price: $79.99
Our Price: $54.99 (OUCH!)
I do NOT use Outlook or OE at all and don't wanna start I don't suppose that the Palm Z71 desktop sw or the Palm Z71 PDA (which I rely on like other people do air to breath) could 'interface' w/the phone or the phone sw?
So.... what are my options? What are the sw choices? Anyone know of any freeware that handles this (yeah, right...)

So, oh phone geeks, what do I need?
m

Added:
http://www.101cells.com/susteen-datapilot-lgvx3200.html
DataPilot for LG VX3200 with data USB cable

Transfer data between your LG VX3200 and your computer. ... DataPilot® provides you the fastest way to edit, create, transfer, and share contact information to your cell phone with the data cable provided. One click interface with other contact management software allows you to keep your contact information updated in your mobile phone.... converter personalizes your mobile phone to meet your preferences.

DataPilot interfaces with the following programs:

Microsoft Outlook®
Outlook Express®
ACT!TM
Palm Desktop® YES!!
PDA Software

DataPilot for LG VX3200
Phone Book Manager
Internet Data Connection
Ringtone Composer
Calendar
DataPilot Kit Includes:

DataPilot Software by Susteen
USB Cable ONLY

susteen-datapilot-lgvx3200 $69.99 ouch ouch!! [/QUOTE]
Okay, anybody know where I can get this stuff at less than seventy bucks??!! I'd so duncy today, I can't determine whether this is the same product and cable bundle as the 'wireless galalxy' quoted above..
m
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")

Last edited by MB-G26; 01-04-2005 at 23:26..
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:30   #2
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

If you don't get any decent responses here I would suggest www.howardforums.com

Best place on the net for phone Q&A.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 18:26   #3
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

Thanks Texas....

I'll have to check there and wherever else it looks like. I was kinda hoping for a first-hand user response or two, but I'll check out the site you provided.
Thanks!
m
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
Old 03-01-2005, 03:26   #4
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

Installation help please? :(

I ended up getting the software/cable package, "DataPilot" by Susteen. It comes with the phone to pc data transfer cable and an installation CD. No paper manual - just the damned pdf manual which is about as helpful and informative as a string bikini in winter.

I followed the install directions to the letter and despite all efforts, the stupid setup aspect cannot "find" the actual cell phone - despite it being connected to the pc via the OEM cable and despite it both being "on" AND flipped open (a little contingency they don't tell you about.....)

Would anyone that has intalled a cell phone-data transfer - to pc software program please help if they can?
Thanks.
m

Yes, there is a tech support phone number....... unfortunately, my lousy, miserable, wretched Real Life won't allow me the luxury of calling it and spending however much time it will take to (hopefully) get assistance from the OEM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:47   #5
N2DFire
Who Me ???

I have done the data cable / ring tone thing w/ both my & my g/f's LG VX 6000's and one thing I ran into was that the Software only looks at Com 1-4 but the USB ports can go much higher (COM 8 . . to infinity). I had to go into the hardware configuration somewhere and change what COM port was assigned to that USB port and it worked fine after that.

I'll also second the motion on howardforums.com - great resource.

P.S. - sorry I didn't post specifics on changing the COM port but I can't find where it is now & I don't have the data cable to plug in & look for it. Will try to get back in tonight if you are still having problems.
Big Dawg #1156, Black Rifle #20, GOTOD #3, Fire & EMS Talk #2302
N2DFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:34   #6
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

N2DFire

I did check through the howard forums hoping to find the answer, but didn't come across any threads that came close enough.

The thought of reassigning port stuff gives me the sudders - especially on an XP home machine :( I had hoped to be able to sit on the phone with the OEM's tech support today but got tied up with more emergency type medical stuff concerning my dad. Since this machine is one that my son and BIL put together over the summer I have less than half a clue about its hardware, etc.

I sure wish somebody would just invent a 'Simple Pill'......
m

PS. I don't know whether the following applies, but the Device Manager shows:

Ports

- Communications Port (Com 1)
- ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Universal Serial Bus Controllers

- Universal Serial Bus Controllers
- Generic USB Hub
- Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
- USM Mass Storage Device
- USB Root Hub
- " "
- " "
- " "
- Via Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
- " "
- " "
- " "

Last edited by MB-G26; 03-05-2005 at 02:44..
Old 03-05-2005, 06:53   #7
Fireglock
Which is worse?

Did you install the USB driver to work with the phone?
Old 03-05-2005, 07:01   #8
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireglock
Did you install the USB driver to work with the phone?
Yup. Followed the install instructions to the letter.
m