SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2005, 21:00   #1
Alan
CLM Number 10
Charter Lifetime Member

Any of you seen the MotoGP documentary "Faster"?

Great documentary. It explores the world of MotoGP. Film footage from past years, highlights several top riders, their accomplishments, disasters, come-backs, rivalries (Rossi/Biaggi), explores the interest and growth in the sport, etc.

I highly recommend it for all fans of Moto GP and/or motorcycle racing in general. It's not for everyone...that's for sure, but if you're a fan of the sport you will enjoy it.
GlockTalk Charter Lifetime Member #10
1911 Club #34
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 22:25   #2
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Heh... just watched it two nights ago. Loved it. Noticed that all the riders are not real enthusiastic about riding on the street... too dangerous for them.

And these are guys that are throwing liter bikes around the track at 200 mph.

Some amazing high side dismounts throughout the movie. It is amazing what protective gear will do for you today as long as you don't actually run into anything after the dismount.

Interesting to learn that the Alpinestar leathers are made of kangaroo. I guess it's much stronger than cow for protection purposes.

Great flick. Highly recommended.

By the way, I think I've decided to get a Concours unless I find a deal on an ST1100 that I just can't pass up. Hope to have something in the next 60 days or so. Got a JR jacket a couple of weeks ago; looked at helmets today. Probably get an HJC flip.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:52   #3
WERA49

I agree. It is one of my favorites.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:20   #4
Alan
CLM Number 10
Charter Lifetime Member

Texas T,

That's great news. I'd love to get back into riding again one day, but it's probably going to be a while if it ever happens. Not sure how I'd handle it psychologically.

Keep us posted once you've gotten your wheels!

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas T
By the way, I think I've decided to get a Concours unless I find a deal on an ST1100 that I just can't pass up. Hope to have something in the next 60 days or so. Got a JR jacket a couple of weeks ago; looked at helmets today. Probably get an HJC flip.
1911 Club #34
Old 01-09-2005, 09:57   #5
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I'd love to get back into riding again one day, but it's probably going to be a while if it ever happens. Not sure how I'd handle it psychologically.
You know what they say about the bronc riders... once you get bucked off you just have to get right back on. You know that you "want" to, otherwise you wouldn't even be in this forum.

Maybe you need to just come out to a few after-dinner get-togethers that the TWT group has every week. I've yet to attend, but I know once I start hanging out with a bunch of riders I'll be chomping at the bit that much more to get my bike. I know I sure wish I had something to ride yesterday; you couldn't have asked for a better day to be and about.

If you're that leary of it, how about a trike? I know it has the connotation of being an old man's bike, but it's pretty stable as long as you're not trying to corner too quickly and you'll still get the air in your face. Nice write-up in one of this month's mags.

I dropped by the new Honda dealership at 290/West Rd yesterday; VERY nice facility but as I expected, no ST1300 on display. They did have one Gold Wing displayed and there was a customer in the parking lot with a beautiful old Honda; maybe a 90 from back in the mid to late 60's. It was in great shape.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Old 01-09-2005, 19:34   #6
Alan
CLM Number 10
Charter Lifetime Member

You got me there! Touche'

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas T
You know that you "want" to, otherwise you wouldn't even be in this forum.
1911 Club #34
Old 01-09-2005, 20:19   #7
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

See, even though I don't have the money (yet) for the bike, I'm building up to it. Bought a JR Atomic jacket a couple of weeks ago. Bought a JR Phoenix mesh with dry-liner today at Cycle Gear (on sale out the door at $125), and the next step is a helmet and then some gloves and then some pants and boots.

I figured that I better have the gear first to FORCE myself to not have any excuses for not wearing it once I do make a purchase.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:53   #8
Rebublic of MA

First, dont be fooled. Not all alpine is Kangaroo. Only thier "top of the line" which, in my opinoin, is still toilet paper. Other than Dainese and Vansons, you're asking "for it". Im sure alpinestars made that suit custom just for him. Cant fit a alpie patch on dainese leathers haha.

the vansons's factory is about 5 miles from my house.
Go there every year for their open house. They are using only cow leather. takes years just to break them in! Whereas a lot of Dainese is Kangaroo. Softer and stronger! (not to mention, Vansons requires you to pay EXTRA for them NOT to sew their patches on, i hate that marketing PS, and ill never buy anything from them because of that)

Also, they arent tossing litre bikes around. those bikes are only 500cc;s, but are 2=stroke. Not busting balls, just a little educational info.
Those things are pushing nearly 1:1 ratio of weight to horsepower! 12,000$ front forks and 8,000$ instrument clusters... must be nice to have a factory ride!

That movie is awesome. Ive done a little track time, and plan on doing a lot more this summer. And they're right. Once you go on the track, the street is "SO dangerous".. then again, ive still gotten on the highway with one knee slammed on the ground after my tracktime / race school ;f

Its funny, the guys i ride with, we jokingly measure skill by "chicken strips" they all comment "oh, i only have 1/2 inch left, bla bla bla" "Oh, well I ave peices of rubber haning off on the edge of mine from power-sliding at full lean ;a , i win that little competetion haha
Rebublic of MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:04   #9
Alan
CLM Number 10
Charter Lifetime Member

Towards the end of the video, they explain how the face of MotoGP is changing, i.e., many riders going to liter-class 4-stroke bikes to compete with the 500cc 2-stroke bikes. Great discussion on this topic in the video.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebublic of MA
Also, they arent tossing litre bikes around. those bikes are only 500cc;s, but are 2=stroke.
1911 Club #34
Old 01-10-2005, 11:18   #10
Rebublic of MA

Quote:
Towards the end of the video, they explain how the face of MotoGP is changing, i.e., many riders going to liter-class 4-stroke bikes to compete with the 500cc 2-stroke bikes. Great discussion on this topic in the video.
*runs to DVD player*
Thats what you get for stoping early ;g
I gotta check that out! Thanks!
Rebublic of MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 22:14   #11
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Damn! Alan beat me to it and said it in a much more polite manner than I would have. jk ;f

Okay now, un-confuse me... You go to Vanson's every year for their open house but you refuse to buy from them so what's the purpose of the visit? ;g