Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:36   #1
Stephen
Hola!

External Drive

Hi all,

Well my Dell is coming up on a few years old and it's running a little slow/laggy. I think that it is caused, at least in part, to all of the crap and stuff I have had on the machine over the years.

What I am considering doing is buying an external HD (Firewire) to back-up all of my data, files, pictures, etc. from my machine - then basically formatting the existing drive, reinstall XP with SP2 and all related updates, etc... then reinstall all of the programs that I use then finally move the files over from the external HD.

1. Are the external HD's affordable? I'd prefer not to use 10 or 15 CD-ROMS.

2. After the format - will the external HD have any issues with the formatted drive (is there any code that is placed on the ext HD that would be deleted with the format)?

3. Is there a better way?

4. When the reformat is complete, is it advisable to partition the HD and put the OS on one partition and program files on the newly created partition?

Any other advice or information will be appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"...I could talk about industrialization and men's fashions all day, but I'm afraid work must intrude..."
Hans Gruber
Die Hard
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:02   #2
Stephen
Hola!

...or would I be OK putting in a second IDE drive ("slave") and moving data over to the internal drive - then formatting the "C" drive????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"...I could talk about industrialization and men's fashions all day, but I'm afraid work must intrude..."
Hans Gruber
Die Hard
Old 01-17-2005, 12:04   #3
harlenm

That's what I'm in the process of doing, see my post just below this one(or above).
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:33   #4
darin2

Re: External Drive

I would suggest the following.

Purchase a new IDE hard drive such as this one.

200 GB $89.00

Remove your old hard drive from the computer, and install this one in it's place.

Boot with Windows XP or restore Cd. Make sure you format the drive NTFS.

After you get everything installed and updated, connect your old hard drive as a slave drive (make sure you change the jumpers first). Then copy all of your old files, email, or favorites over to the new drive.

I dont see much sense in purchasing the external drive, which by the way is more expensive, than just getting a new hard drive for your system.

Darin

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen
Hi all,

Well my Dell is coming up on a few years old and it's running a little slow/laggy. I think that it is caused, at least in part, to all of the crap and stuff I have had on the machine over the years.

What I am considering doing is buying an external HD (Firewire) to back-up all of my data, files, pictures, etc. from my machine - then basically formatting the existing drive, reinstall XP with SP2 and all related updates, etc... then reinstall all of the programs that I use then finally move the files over from the external HD.

1. Are the external HD's affordable? I'd prefer not to use 10 or 15 CD-ROMS.

2. After the format - will the external HD have any issues with the formatted drive (is there any code that is placed on the ext HD that would be deleted with the format)?

3. Is there a better way?

4. When the reformat is complete, is it advisable to partition the HD and put the OS on one partition and program files on the newly created partition?

Any other advice or information will be appreciated.
darin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 13:21   #5
Stephen
Hola!

Darin2-

GREAT suggestion! I suppose I wasn't awake enough today to even think of that!

Thanks!

Hans Gruber
Die Hard
Old 01-17-2005, 15:08   #6
Washington,D.C.

All Dell desktop IDE hard drives are jumpered "cable select",master and slave.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 19:03   #7
Stephen
Hola!

Quote:
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
All Dell desktop IDE hard drives are jumpered "cable select",master and slave.
Huh? Is there no jumper - just based on the ribbon cable?

Hans Gruber
Die Hard
Old 01-17-2005, 19:38   #8
Washington,D.C.

On a Dell all the jumpers for both drives should be set to "cable select".Doesn't matter if you have one or two drives.The end of the cable is master the center connection is slave.
The newer Dells might be switchable in the bios.But I havent seen any Dells like that yet.
Old 01-17-2005, 19:41   #9
Washington,D.C.

That's why the cable has blue,black and gray connectors.The cable determines what each drive is.Not the jumpers.The jumpers are suppose to to be set to "cable select".
Old 01-17-2005, 19:47   #10
David_G17
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

if i were you, i'd slave another drive in there, format it for NTFS, and copy everything onto it like you said in your second post.
"We need the strong gun regs and enforcement Europe has."
-DU debates America's future 10/23/2005
David_G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 20:01   #11
Stephen
Hola!

So can I safely assume that if I label the IDE cable coming off of the current master and hook up the new HD (with the appropriate jumper setting) that I will be OK?

As far as the physical HD - is one the same as another? I have only used Seagate and Maxtor and never Western Digital.

Thanks for all of the great infomation!

Hans Gruber
Die Hard
Old 01-17-2005, 20:08   #12
Washington,D.C.

Yes the connector determines which is master and which is slave.The jumpers on the drives should be set to "cable select".It doesn't matter if you have one or two drives.With one drive you must use the master connector of the cable.Which model Dell is it?
Old 01-17-2005, 20:16   #13
Stephen
Hola!

Dimension 8200 (IIRC) series.

Hans Gruber
Die Hard
Old 01-17-2005, 20:18   #14
Washington,D.C.

Okay i see from your earlier posts I think you have a Dell 8200 2 Ghz.I have the same model.Most new drives come with the jumpers default set to "cable select".Just look at them to make sure.The inside of the PC has the extra mounting rails in it.It's much easier than earlier PCs.The cable in mine was just barely long enough.Make sure you get an IDE ATA drive and not a serial ATA.IDE should be cheaper anyway.Maxtor and Western Digital drives work great.I've had some compatablity problems with Samsung drives.It's not worth going to cheap.Dell used a lot of IBM/Hatachi Desk star drives.They seem to have a higher fail rate than Maxtor and Western Digital.There are other brands but I haven't used them enough to tell you about them.Maxtors are very reliable Western Digital normally test a wee bit faster but nothing you would notice.
Old 01-17-2005, 20:30   #15
Washington,D.C.

The Dell 8200 has takes ATA 100 IDE drives but an ATA 133 IDE will work it will just connect at ATA 100.
Old 01-18-2005, 23:53   #16
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Normally, when I do a HDD upgrade for folks (that don't involve a DOA drive), I'll install a fresh copy of their OS to the new hard drive and make it the primary drive.

Then most of the apps on the second drive can be run w/o reinstalling them merely by placing shortcuts to their .exe's on the new desktop.

Also this way you have a backup OS ready to go in the unlikely event of a primary drive failure.

Good luck!!
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:59   #17
Stephen
Hola!

Thanks guys!

Now I just need to do a little investigating and find the appropriate hard drive (for the best price, of course) and go from there.

Any other issues I should be aware of?

Hans Gruber
Die Hard