Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:53   #1
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Just curious but who has what riding clothes? And from whom? How much spent?

I'm not bragging, but I don't mind spending a good chunk of money on riding gears. I figure that they may be expensive, but I can afford them. I can't afford to break anything on my body.

So far, I have only one helmet (Shoei RF-1000) but that will change. I saw advertisement for a German helmet (whose name I can't recall) that's supposedly really badass as far as protection goes. It's retail around $900. My hot weather riding gear are First Gear Mesh-Tex jacket and pants. These things aren't too expensive ($110/jacket, $190/pants). I also just went to Z Custom Leathers to get a Black Lightning Jacket (the top half is of some sort of textile with reflective threads that weaved into it and lights up at night) and riding pants. The setup is around $1300.

My hot weather gaunlets are also First Gear Mesh-Tex and my cool weather gloves are deerskin gaunlets from Z Custom for around $190.

I guess I'm a bit paranoid about getting hurt if I were to fall off the bike. I suppose that I dress not to ride but to crash. Is that attitude a bit too anally retentive?

BTW, Z Custom Leathers is a first rate outfit. It's a small mom&pop operation so the lady owner spends a lot of time talking with you over various designs that may best suit your riding style and bike and additional touches (graphics, designs, extra pockets, etc.) that would make your outfit truly yours. And when you compare their prices to off-the-rack leathers from Dainese or BMW, it's truly a bargain. A big thumbs-up for Z Custom Leather. Also, a trivia tidbid: they made the jacket for Don Johnson in the movie "Harley-Davidson and Malborro Man".
Old 01-17-2005, 11:20   #2
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Although I don't have one, I have yet to meet anyone that owned an Aerostitch that didn't absolutely love it. If you value your bod over style it is the best out there unless you're going to do the racing leathers thing full time.
Aerostitch Roadcrafter

As for me, I've got the basic Joe Rocket Atomic jacket and just picked up a Phoenix jacket (mesh with liner) this week for the hot weather.

As for the german helmet, are you talking about Schuberth? I don't think they go that expensive, and they are flip-ups so perhaps that's not the one you're thinking of.

Here's the DOT site for helmet testing:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/

Here's the Snell site:
http://www.smf.org/

Upon further thought... those folks that have the Fieldsheer Highland suit absolutely love it too, and feel that it's a better value than the Stitch. Brockton Cycles will sell the Highland on ebay for about $199 which is a good price.

Highland on Ebay

Hit some of the long distance forums like the Iron Butt Association or the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum as these guys are in the sadddle for a lot of miles and see what they prefer to wear. One thing you'll find is that many of the iron butt'ers wear bicycle shorts for underwear as it gives better support for those 800-1000 mile days.
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/start

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member

Last edited by Texas T; 01-17-2005 at 11:32..
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 13:03   #3
jthuang
On The Jazz

Send a message via AIM to jthuang Send a message via Yahoo to jthuang
Re: Just curious but who has what riding clothes? And from whom? How much spent?

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
So far, I have only one helmet (Shoei RF-1000) but that will change. I saw advertisement for a German helmet (whose name I can't recall) that's supposedly really badass as far as protection goes. It's retail around $900.
I think I've seen that helmet ... it was carbon fiber, yes? Methinks I saw in last month's issue of Motor Cyclist magazine.

From what I recall, all Snell/DOT certified helmets provide generally the same amount of protection. You can certainly spend more on a helmet but the benefit is the comfort, venting and other creature comforts rather than safety.
Old 01-17-2005, 13:49   #4
Glockfather

I apologize in advance but I have a lot of gear. Here is what i use most of the time depending on weather and application. I have more but this is what I like the best.

For helmets I use an Arai Corsair ($500). It's light, comfy and has great ventilation. Only downside is that it is loud but most of the light race helmets are.

For max protection I like Vented Dianese Full suits($1000-$1500). I've had a Techno and a Safety Pro both of which saved my hide in crashes on track and I currently have a Pro-Tech. For an off the rack suit the fit is great and the protection is top notch.

I use a vented leather Vanson Velociraptor Jacket ($600) w/ armor and back protector for hot weather street riding and I have Aerostich Darien Pants ($300) as well. I use a First Gear Kilamanjaro ($400) with the Stich pants when the weather drops as well as a 2 peice non vented leather suit by Deathrage ($700).

For boots I use Sidi Vertebrae Carbon (Vented) ($300) and On Road Sympatex (waterproof)($260) and Alpinestar Tech 8's ($350) on my Motard.

I like Alpinestar GP plus gloves.
Glockfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 14:15   #5
BikerGoddess
Got hairspray?

Leathers aren't going to keep you from breaking anything.

I have a Shoei helmet, designed for Buell. I think it was about $300. Looked at their new helmets, which are running about half that now, but I can't tell who manufactures them.

I have four jackets, two Joe Rockets, a Vanson, and a Wilson Leather. The JR Phoenix is amazing. It's almost like riding without a jacket, but both the guys I've seen go down in one didn't have a scratch where the jacket covered. I think I paid $100 for that one.

The Vanson was $600 and I rarely wear it. Too warm for summer, too cold for winter. But it looks nice... ;Q

I'm really bad about wearing gloves, but end of last season I picked up some Buell ones on clearance. I think my problem was trying to make leather gloves work in Texas.

There are some differences in quality, but I think once you pass a certain point you're just paying for cache. Comfort will (should!) improve the more you pay for something, which counts for something (since fatigue contributes to accidents) but there comes a point where you're just showing off.

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BikerGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 14:40   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Leathers aren't going to keep the bones from breaking, but it definitely helps with the road rash.
Old 01-17-2005, 14:52   #7
Glockfather

Good armor around your joints (elbows, knees, ankles and back) will go a long way to protecting those sensitve areas. Breaking a bone isn't the worst thing because they heal but broken joints can give you problems the rest of your life.
Glockfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 15:26   #8
xrated

I have a Shoei RF-900 Duhamel replica dragon helmet. Jackets include a First Gear jacket with a removable liner for warm or cold weather, it is vented. I also have a First Gear Blade jacket with full armor and a back protector, and two mesh jackets, a First Gear/Honda jacket as well as a Fieldsheer Mesh/Tex. Pants include a pair of First Gear sportbike armored pants and a pair of Joe Rocket Phoenix pants. Boots are made by Sidi (B One) and gloves are Teknic carbon Fiber long gloves.
Old 01-17-2005, 21:42   #9
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Re: Just curious but who has what riding clothes? And from whom? How much spent?

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
I saw advertisement for a German helmet (whose name I can't recall) that's supposedly really badass as far as protection goes. It's retail around $900.
After more research I still couldn't find this. Perhaps you're thinking of the Italian maker Vemar that makes a 3lb carbon fiber helmet that retails for about $800? It does not have Snell certification though.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Old 01-18-2005, 07:56   #10
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

HJC AC10 lid $160

AGV Sport II jacket - $200

Joe Rocket Mesh/Leather jacket - $150

AGV universal pants - $160

Alpinestars SMX boots - $200

Alpinestars SP3 gloves - $50

Regards,
Glen

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Last edited by 45acp4me; 01-18-2005 at 08:01..
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:29   #11
Bandalero

--FF Nolan 100E flip face helmet. $120
--Cruiserworks boots - $150
--Various pairs of mesh and leather gloves. ~$150
--First Gear Mesh vented armored jacket for summer $110
--Leather bike jacket (racing style) for winter $180
--Fox Creek Leather chaps $170
--reinforced Draggin'Jeansx 2 $79
--Tourmaster Elite two-piece Rain Gear $85

Misc. bandanas, baclava, etc. also.

Last edited by Bandalero; 01-18-2005 at 08:32..
Bandalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:59   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

That stuff adds up quickly, doesn't it?;P
Old 01-18-2005, 16:46   #13
jthuang
On The Jazz

Send a message via AIM to jthuang Send a message via Yahoo to jthuang
Re: Re: Just curious but who has what riding clothes? And from whom? How much spent?

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas T
After more research I still couldn't find this. Perhaps you're thinking of the Italian maker Vemar that makes a 3lb carbon fiber helmet that retails for about $800? It does not have Snell certification though.
Right, that was the one I saw in Motor Cyclist magazine.

http://motoemporium.com/vemar/vemar_vsr_carbon.html
Old 01-18-2005, 17:31   #14
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I think that was it. For some reasons I thought that Schuberth was the maker.
Old 01-18-2005, 22:49   #15
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Leather jacket from Wilson Leather (chain store in the mall), chaps from Just Leather (custom leather shop in San Jose - expensive, but free repairs for life), HJC open face helmet or Shoei full face. I am going to get an HJC flipfront and a new jacket from San Diego Leather, who has the best deals going. Deerskin gloves from the hardware store (good enough for motor officers, good enough for me).

When it's hot, I don't wear a jacket or chaps.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 23:25   #16
python1340
Licensed to Ill

Send a message via AIM to python1340 Send a message via Yahoo to python1340

Leather jacket, gloves, and chaps (sometimes) in the winter. In the summer, forget it.

Oh, and no helmet.
Old 01-20-2005, 21:35   #17
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by python1340
Oh, and no helmet.
Moto Club

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/swisher.htm

Old 01-20-2005, 22:27   #18
python1340
Licensed to Ill

And think how safe everyone would be if they just didn't ride at all! A car is far safer.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:37   #19
BikerGoddess
Got hairspray?

Quote:
Originally posted by python1340
And think how safe everyone would be if they just didn't ride at all! A car is far safer.
Dude, it's your head...

Maybe you'll keep it, maybe you won't, but it's your gamble. Just do the rest of us a favor and don't ride with us so we don't have to see your brains spilled on the road.

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BikerGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:57   #20
python1340
Licensed to Ill

Quote:
Originally posted by BikerGoddess
Dude, it's your head...

Maybe you'll keep it, maybe you won't, but it's your gamble. Just do the rest of us a favor and don't ride with us so we don't have to see your brains spilled on the road.

Laura
For that matter, it's your life. Don't ride. You'll be that much safer.

Keep up the good work.