SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-19-2005, 20:55   #1
mossy500camo
ammo found

Exercise, Vitamins and Mental Health.

Im having a rough time here of lately. I find exercise helps me to relieve stress. What do you think about exercise, Vitamins and Mental Health? Which Vitamins?
mossy500camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 23:21   #2
geminicricket
NRA Life member

Multivitamins not chewed a bit can sometimes pass through the digestive tract intact. A Shaklee sales rep told me that once, so instead of buying his $20 easy-dissolve pills, I chewed my cheap pills.

Take a multivitamin.
Exercise by chewing it.
Demonstrate mental health by rationally choosing a vitamin and a method of ingestion.

Such an elegant solution!

Exercise seems to relieve stress for many people. But, like liquor, it won't make real problems go away. Is your "rough time" the mental war with your weight, or is something else going on?

You can overdose on fat-soluble vitamins with harmful effects, so be a little bit careful that you aren't taking 10x the RDA of stuff on a regular basis. A healthy, balanced diet does not lack in any of the nutrients or vitamins you need. My diet is not healthy or balanced, so I take a cheap multivitamin each morning, biting through the hard coating to expose the interior stuff to my stomach acids.

I exercise as often as I can, but since I don't have a problem with stress I don't recognize any stress-related benefit to exercise for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 00:30   #3
mossy500camo
ammo found

Ah never mind Ill get over it. If not ho hum.;b
mossy500camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:58   #4
sy2k

FWIW, B-complex is helpful in negating some of the physical effects of stress. They are not fat-soluble, meaning you can take higher doses than the RDA safely.

Exercise has always been the best way for me to relieve mental stress.

I like the multi-vitamin/mineral products made by this company:

http://www.vrp.com

The vitamins are in easily digestible capsules, not tablets. They offer other products as well that are supposed to help negate the effects of stress - herbal 'adaptogens' and others. I can't comment on those because I've never tried 'em.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:17   #5
FreakyBig
Massive Member

A good multi-vitamin will definitely help along with exercise. I have found that excessive compulsive exercise routines reduce stress for me, mental health being somewhat questionable.
FreakyBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:22   #6
OkieGal

If you're having trouble with stress, you might try taking kava kava (an herb) at night. It's a relaxant and helps with stress and sleep issues, but it doesn't leave any groggy feeling or anything.

Some brilliant government official decided that kava kava wasn't safe (in other words, it probably works too well) and it's hard to find now. Good health food stores still carry it, though. Read up on it -- it's been used for centuries as a calming, relaxing herb.
OkieGal is offline   Reply With Quote