SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:43   #1
-=DFOX=-
Border Bandit

New build...SLOOOOW Bootup

I just finished my first scratch built PC, but I'm having very slow boot up. 1st, my screen for the mobo comes up (ASUS A8V Deluxe) and it hangs around for a good 30 seconds.

Then Scanning IDE.....and this message "No fastrack controller found, the bios is not installed"

then a blinking cursor for another good 40 seconds.

Here are my spec's

ASUS A8V MoBo
1 gb kingston ram Dual Channel
AMD 3200+ Athlon Winchester Core
Nvidea 6600 GT Video Card
Running win XP Home

Any ideas to speed up the boot, other than that, the PC is a smokin fast setup, great for games.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
-=DFOX=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:46   #2
the-fixer

I had a similar issue with an ASUS motherboard. Change the jumper on the hard drive to cable select (CS) and try again.
the-fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:47   #3
NetNinja
Always Faithful

Does that motherboard do RAID? If it does disable that in the BIOS.
S&W 1911, 686, M19, 627VComp,ColtDE10mm
Anschutz 1813 Super Match
NetNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:15   #4
-=DFOX=-
Border Bandit

Quote:
Originally posted by the-fixer
I had a similar issue with an ASUS motherboard. Change the jumper on the hard drive to cable select (CS) and try again.
This wont affect any files or anything? Just want to make sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:16   #5
-=DFOX=-
Border Bandit

Quote:
Originally posted by NetNinja
Does that motherboard do RAID? If it does disable that in the BIOS.
Yes, the board supports that, I will look into that, I appreciate all the help guys.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:20   #6
the-fixer

No, changing the jumper won't affect the format, files and the like.
the-fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 14:12   #7
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Turn off the Promise controller and anything that's not used such as the onboard Network Interface Card if you have no LAN, the AC'97 sound if you have a PCI Soundblaster card...you get the idea.

Also check in the Device Manager to see if there are any !"s in yellow triangles, which show that some drivers are still awaiting installation.
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 15:15   #8
-=DFOX=-
Border Bandit

cool, cant wait to get home and try that stuff. Thanks guys.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:59   #9
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

Try disabling unneeded services - including those at startup

http://www.activewin.com/winxp/tips/advanced/4.shtml
Quote:
Windows XP Tips
Disabling unnecessary services
Posted By: Byron Hinson

Services are programs that start up when your computer boots. They continue to run in the background while your PC is on, some services load automatically, some when a program is used. Some of these services are not needed by various users and can be safely disabled. But BE WARNED there are some of these services that MUST not be disabled. To get a good idea what can and can't be removed check out http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm for a very detailed list. Remember, you can always turn the service back on if you find out that you need it in the future. Below is the procedure to turn off a service.
http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=65 {Page not responding at this moment for some reason; BlackViper page is probably better, anyway. See below}

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Quote:
www.BlackViper.com: Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service Configurations {Info works just fine for XP SP1, too; there are notations where a service has been renamed or incorporated into another via SP2}

Introduction
Saturday, October 16, 2004 @ 7:03 PM PST
I have updated my Windows XP Services Configurations and Windows XP Services Information pages to include additional Service Pack 2 information. I still have several more pages to place online before I can call it complete. However, I wanted to provide another update of my findings. All dependencies have been updated and are accurate.

For the most part, Microsoft took 3 years to create a "default" configuration for Windows XP Services that took me only one month to test and post on July 28, 2001. Several services that I previously recommended to be disabled are either gone or disabled by default after the installation of Service Pack 2.

An * (asterisk) indicates changes from Service Pack 1a to Service Pack 2.

Notes for a Happier Computer and User

Do NOT use "msconfig" to disable services, type "services.msc" in the Run box instead! (WHY?){Link to explanation}

Before disabling ANY service, check out the service information about each by selecting the service name links provided.

Service settings are global, meaning changes apply to all users.

An "*" (asterisk) indicates changes from Service Pack 1a to Service Pack 2.

For an easy method of creating multiple Service Configurations, please check out the Windows XP Services Profile Guide.

All of these services are "Standard" with Windows XP after the installation of Service Pack 2. If you discover something other than these listed here running, another program installed them. View a listing of the more common ones.

Still unsure? Put your setting to "manual" or the listing under "Safe." Manual allows Windows XP to start the service when it needs to (or when ever it feels like it), but not at boot up. Depending on your configuration, not all services will start when required while in "Manual" mode. If you find you need a service, place it in Automatic.

After adjusting your service settings, reboot your computer.
If you do not have some of these services listed, do not panic! If your computer manufacture "pre-installed" your XP, they choose not to have certain services installed for you. This is, in most cases, a fact with OEM versions of Windows XP Home.

Before E-Mailing me, see if your question has been addressed in the FAQ!

More items about how to speed up your system can be found on the Windows XP Super Tweaks Page!

Disabling all of the "unneeded services" frees up 12-70 MB of RAM, depending on system.

Do you mean that out of 87 (Home), 96 (Pro) services, 32 (Home), 34 (Pro) are set to Automatic as DEFAULT, but, we MAY only need 6 running?!? YES.

Viewing Instructions: If the information is hard to read, please check out your viewing options. {Cyan and white lettering on black background - VERY hard on the eyes after not too long....}

Printable Version: A printable version will be posted as soon as all information is updated.

Table Header Information
Display Name ~ How it displays in the Services Control Panel.
Process Name ~ Name of the Process running in the background (displays in Task Manager by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del).

DEFAULT Home ~ What Bill G. thinks should be running on Windows XP Home.

DEFAULT Pro ~ What Bill G. thinks should be running on Windows XP Professional.

"SAFE" Configuration ~ This is the configuration that 95% of the people will be able to use with little or no side effects. It will also minimizes the amount of "errors" that is reported in the Event Viewer. This does not guarantee it will work for you, but if adjusting your services scares you, this configuration would be a good starting point.

Power User Configuration ~ This is the power user setup. A great way to test this setup is here. This setup is a system that connects through a network (such as a gateway / router) to the internet, provides file and print sharing resources and gaming enjoyment. Some things may not function with this setup. No passwords save. Its use is not for a computer with analog modems or some direct DSL/cable connections. Try the "Safe" Configuration first.

Bare Bones Configuration ~ This is the super geek setup. A great way to test this setup is here. This setup is a system that connects through a network (such as a gateway / router) to the internet with a static IP address. This system does not provide file and print sharing resources, nor have the ability to print. Its use is not for a computer with analog modems or many direct DSL/cable connections. You can use this configuration for extreme tweaking and testing purposes. Many things may not function with this setup. No passwords save. The Event Log will display "errors" of not being able to start certain services. Built in Windows CDR-RW functions may no longer work. Please do not ask, "How do I fix" questions while using this configuration. The answer will be "Use SAFE." This information's intention is for reference only.

Configuration Information
Automatic ~ With a service in this state, it will start at boot time. Some services, when no longer required, will also automatically stop when not needed. However, this is very rare. If you find you do not need a service, place it into Manual or Disabled.

Manual ~ Manual mode allows Windows to start a service when needed. However, very few services will start up when required in Manual mode. If you find you need a service, place it into Automatic.
Disabled ~ This setting will stop a service from starting, even if needed. Errors in the Event Viewer will show up complaining of that fact. Some services, while Disabled, will constantly complain. However, this situation is taken care of if placed in Manual. The service descriptions identifies those that should be in Manual vice Disabled.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Viper's Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service Configurations

{extensive, itemized chart of services and linked into follows}
I've found XP to be a lot more tolerable after being tamed a bit :)
m
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 13:21   #10
-=DFOX=-
Border Bandit

Turned off promise and raid, that knokced off about 15 seconds. The biggest hangup now is the black screen with the blinking cursor, goes on for about 45 seconds, cant seem to figure it out.

Old 01-25-2005, 14:13   #11
David_G17
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DFOX=-
Turned off promise and raid, that knokced off about 15 seconds. The biggest hangup now is the black screen with the blinking cursor, goes on for about 45 seconds, cant seem to figure it out.
it's probably a hardware issue. last time i saw that, i fixed it by just taking the jumper off the back of a hard drive (but of course, that depends on the way the drive is built). it set the drive to master rather than cable select. tremendous (like 30 seconds) time improvement. YMMV
"We need the strong gun regs and enforcement Europe has."
-DU debates America's future 10/23/2005
David_G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 19:59   #12
-=DFOX=-
Border Bandit

Quote:
Originally posted by David_G17
it's probably a hardware issue. last time i saw that, i fixed it by just taking the jumper off the back of a hard drive (but of course, that depends on the way the drive is built). it set the drive to master rather than cable select. tremendous (like 30 seconds) time improvement. YMMV
You rock!! I actually moved it from master to CS and it turns on in about 30 seconds, i owe you one ;c

Old 01-25-2005, 22:12   #13
chevrofreak

If theres an option in BIOS for Fast Boot or something, that helps a lot.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote