Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:03   #1
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

I'm selling my Honda 599

In case anyone is interested, or knows anyone that has been looking for one.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333357

It is a great bike, but I decided I like riding dirt bikes much more than street bikes. Seemed a shame to have this beauty just sitting in the garage, and not being enjoyed by someone.
Old 01-20-2005, 20:43   #2
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Sorry to hear that Patricia, but it's good that you recognized that it's not something you really enjoy and made the decision to stick with the dirt.

Maybe as you move into the "Gold Wing" years in a couple of decades you'll come back out onto the street.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 22:34   #3
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Jeff will still have his 919 and I'll happily climb on back every chance I get. I didn't like the thought of not being able to keep up when we went out riding. Not only was it not as much fun for the guys, but I think I was a safey hazard too.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:45   #4
jeffd

But you can hang with the guys in the dirt? Impressive!
jeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:23   #5
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

Less than 500 miles?

Get on that horse and ride, you haven't even begun to find out what you can do on it!

Regards,
Glen

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:43   #6
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

jeffd, when we ride dirt bikes, it is usually just my 8 yr old and I, cause we are the only ones that have them. There also aren't any other people around, as we go to some pretty remote forest areas. Worrying about the other guy on the street was part of my problem.

Glen, believe me, I know what it can do. It really is a great bike, and part of me is sad to let it go. The real decision maker for me was when we were out riding about a month ago, and our 8 yr old fell off the back of his dad's bike. He walked away with just some major road rash (and a night in the hospital for observation) but it shook my already shaky nerve enough so that I think I won't ever feel confident again. I don't normally back down from any challenge in my life, but I don't know that I'll ever forget seeing that happen to my son. I hope that makes sense.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:04   #7
4TS&W
2A RKBA 4EVER

I'd be all over this, but my 17 year old just totalled my car.

She's OK, and the only reason it's a total loss is because of the dual airbag deployment, (it was just a fender bender at low speed).

:(
Old 01-21-2005, 10:18   #8
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Quote:
Originally posted by 4TS&W
I'd be all over this, but my 17 year old just totalled my car.

She's OK, and the only reason it's a total loss is because of the dual airbag deployment, (it was just a fender bender at low speed).

:(
I'm glad she is ok. My daughter learned to drive on one of my cars. The poor thing was never the same. Funny thing is, when she bought her own car with her own money, she'd get upset if it got one little scratch.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:37   #9
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidearmor

Glen, believe me, I know what it can do. It really is a great bike, and part of me is sad to let it go. The real decision maker for me was when we were out riding about a month ago, and our 8 yr old fell off the back of his dad's bike. He walked away with just some major road rash (and a night in the hospital for observation) but it shook my already shaky nerve enough so that I think I won't ever feel confident again. I don't normally back down from any challenge in my life, but I don't know that I'll ever forget seeing that happen to my son. I hope that makes sense.
After seeing that I can fully understand. After a screw up with a new rear tire it's taken me a couple years to get back to where I was before. Luckily I was wearing full gear or I probably wouldn't be typing this right now.

Best of luck with the sale, and i hope you continue to have fun in the dirt!

Regards,
Glen

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:01   #10
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Yeah, funny thing is, I think that if had been me, it would be easier to get past. Then again, if it had been me, I don't think I'd be here typing about it. The fact that he walked away with just some scratches is nothing short of a miracle. I called the folks at HJC to let them know that their helmet had probably saved my son's life. I just left a voice mail, and never heard back, but it made me feel better to call anyway.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:10   #11
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidearmor
I just left a voice mail, and never heard back, but it made me feel better to call anyway.
Send them an email with photos and permission to print it and it might wind up on their web site.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 08:14   #12
norton

If you are at all hesitant about riding on the street, then its probably a good idea to give it up. Riding dirty is alot of fun, and while the get offs still hurt, but you are less likely to end up seriously injured.
BTW, I like your 599. I like the minimalist approach by the designers, and IMHO Honda builds the worlds best street bikes.
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:40   #13
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Yep, it is a fantastic bike. Even with my inexperience I am impressed. Jeff and Kevin both have 919s and they are nice too, but I was partial to this 599. I'd love to see it go to someone who would really enjoy riding it.
Old 01-24-2005, 13:08   #14
SteelFrame

Nice bike Sidearmor, I'll fwd it to my bike buds.

BTW, how do you all like your 919? I'm getting a new bike and have narrowed it down to a Kawasaki ZRX1200R or the 919. I was going to grab an '04 model but I like the gloss black color of the '05's.

Spenser
SteelFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 13:17   #15
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Thanks, I'd sure appreciate you spreading the word.

I'll ask my husband to compare the two and get back with a post later. I know he absolutely loves his 919, and he used to have Kawasaki.
Old 01-24-2005, 13:52   #16
SteelFrame

Thanks Sidearmor, I'd like to know his opinions of his. I've owned Hondas and Yamahas mostly but I do like the ZRX and am giving it some consideration. I rode the rims off of a couple of Nighthawk 750's in the past couple of decades and must say they were fine machines. Not many good ol standard bikes to choose from anymore, everything's either a recliner or a rocket.

Spenser
Old 01-24-2005, 22:36   #17
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Quote:
Originally posted by SteelFrame
Nice bike Sidearmor, I'll fwd it to my bike buds.

BTW, how do you all like your 919? I'm getting a new bike and have narrowed it down to a Kawasaki ZRX1200R or the 919. I was going to grab an '04 model but I like the gloss black color of the '05's.
Here's my husband's response.

I like the fact that the 919 is fuel injected, and has the ability to put a power commander on. The Kawasaki is a good bike too, but I think the 919 is more responsive and more nimble. I also like the look of the high center exhaust and the "naked" styling of both the 599 and 919.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:30   #18
SteelFrame

Thanks for the input. I too like the center dual exhaust of the 919.
Stay safe.

Spenser
Old 01-26-2005, 02:22   #19
quinch
Turgid Member

Holy Crap, $5900? It's January. I can buy a new one for that.

Wait until May if you want you get the most out of it.
quinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:15   #20
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Quote:
Originally posted by quinch
Holy Crap, $5900? It's January. I can buy a new one for that.

Wait until May if you want you get the most out of it.
Brand new they are listing for at least $7000. If you find a brand new one for $5900, good on you.