Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:39   #1
Bonk

uniform reg question - flight jackets

Maybe some of you wingwipes can answer a question from an old groundpounder.

My brother gave me one of those nylon flight jackets, the type that's a green on the outside and reversible to orange. I like it - it's warm but not too bulky, and great for wearing at the range since it sits high enough to wear over my gunbelt.

Somehow, it just looks a little...naked. Anyone care to clue me in on the regs in terms of patch placement, particularly in reference to an American flag patch on the right shoulder and a velcro patch for a name plate on the left chest? I have a name plate that I had done up for a CVC suit when I was in.

Thanks!
Bonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 16:09   #2
Hay Moe

Well the Air force pukes (I say that with love!) are probably a little more uptight about that kind of thing, but in the Navy, we could pretty much put what ever we wanted (where ever we wanted) on our flight jackets. Most guys would have some type of patch representing the aircraft that they flew, along with a squadron patch (on the right breast) , and of course a name tag (left breast). After that, you were likely to see all sorts of patches representing things such as the carrier they were on, and the various cruises they were on.

The current trend with the American flag, seems to be placing a "backwards" flag on the right shoulder. It is supposed to represent a wind blown flag, as you are moving foward. I never really liked that "backward" arrangement, and would opt for a correct front facing flag on the left shoulder, if I were still in. But that may not be an option in many squadrons, now, as the backwards configuration seems to be standard. It just doesn't look right to me.

BTW, next time you watch "Top Gun", take a look at Tom Cruise's flight jacket. I was in the Navy when the movie was being made. The word was, that Cruise was such an primadonna, and A**h*** , that nobody liked him. And so, the flight jacket that he was presented by the Navy, has an assortment of submarine and surface ship patches sewn on it. It was an inside joke, because NO self respecting avaitor would dare decorate his flight jacket that way. (Don't misunderstand...I have great respect for the black shoe Navy). It's good for a laugh everytime I see that movie. Hahahahahaha!!!! ;f
Hay Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 23:52   #3
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

My issue flight jacket finally wore out so I transferd the patches over to a new one. It already had the name tag velcro. Just the typical Army stuff, unit patch, helicopter type patch from Boeing and 18th Airborne Corps 'gaggin-dragon' shoulder patch & tab. I keep an old name tag in the cig pouch.

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 01-22-2005 at 00:51..
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:16   #4
noway

When I was in , we had the velcro name tag with range and name, no flags or such. btw, the orange inside was used for signaling if you was down, and a recorvery team was dispatch to recover you. I guess it would also serve as good "hunter orange" if needed
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 15:58   #5
TScottW99
NRA Life Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TScottW99
Hey! There was a Seabee patch on his Jacket!!! ;f ;a

- Dale Carnegie
TScottW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:08   #6
Bonk

Scott, can you think of a good place to have this done? I was thinking Peacock near downtown. They shortened some of my uniform pants without mangling them.
Old 01-26-2005, 17:22   #7
RussP

http://www.marlowwhite.com/faq-why-i...-reversed.html
Veteran's Forum
Quote:
Why Is The Army Flag Patch Reversed?

Civilians often wonder why the US Army Flag Patch is reversed. The answer is: not all Army Flag Patches are reversed, but only those worn on the right shoulder. The reason has to do with proper display of the flag.

When flags are displayed on moving vehicles, the blue star field is always displayed towards the front of the vehicle. In this way, the flag appears to be blowing in the wind as the vehicle travels forward (flags are always attached to their flag poles on the blue field side). If the flag were not reversed on the right hand side of the vehicle, the vehicle might appear to be moving backwards (or "retreating").

The next time you visit an airport, notice that the US-flagged aircraft also have a "reverse" flag painted on the right side of the aircraft.

For flag patches worn on uniforms, the same principle applies: the blue star field always faces towards the front, with the red and white stripes behind. Think of the flag, not a patch, but as a loose flag attached to the Soldier's arm like a flag pole. As the Soldier moves forward, the red and white stripes will flow to the back.

Another question we are often asked: Doesn't a red, white, and blue flag on a camouflaged uniform defeat the purpose of camouflage? Yes, it does. Previously the U.S. Code prescribed that military use of the flag will always be red, white, and blue. However, with the updated Army Battle Dress Uniform that was recently unveiled, the flag patch will become a camouflage, muted color.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 23:51   #8
CarlosDJackal

The way we our flight jackets configured was:
- Unit patch on the left sleeve (tabs as appropriate).

- Leather name plate with velcro backing on the left chest. This name plate usually contained whatever wings/badges we had, Full Name, Rank, and "US Army". So in my case I would have my Aviation wings at the top, Airborne wings and Air Assualt wings just below that (with the Airborne wings on the right, of course), "Carlos X. Xxxxxxxxxxx" below that, and "1LT" and "U.S.ARMY" at the bottom line.

- Unit or specialty patches (ie: Aeroscouts) are worn on the right chest.

- Combat patches on the right sleeve. We never wore the US flag because we were not authorized way back when. But I assume that it is acceptible nowadays.

The name plate and unit/specialty patches are removable (velcro backing).

I hope this helps.
CarlosDJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 20:12   #9
Bonk

Thanks Carlos.

As a Marine, I never had to sew shoulder patches on anything, and hell I pissed a fit when they made us put on name tapes in 1992.;f I have no idea about how far from the seam or whatever the flag is supposed to go, and is there a specific distance on the chest where the velcro backing for the name badge goes?
Old 02-27-2005, 02:02   #10
DMF
P33

Well the USAF does not use the jacket with orange lining. We only issue Nomex flight jackets CWU-45/P or the CWU/P-36 (summer weight), that have the collars. They also issue the leather A-2 jackets.

The Nomex jackets would have the name tag on the left side of the chest, and the command patch on the right. The name tag was usually cloth in unit colors. The right shoulder would be the squadron, or group patch, and the left shoulder was the wing patch or american flag (not "reversed" since it was on the left shoulder.) No other patches. Some of us were a little more rebellious and used the left shoulder for TDY patches, that were not very PC. Same went for the nametags which often had non-PC "callsigns" on them. All patches were attached by velcro not sewn on.

The leather A-2 jacket again had the name plate on the left chest and command patch on the right. However, these were "oversized" with the command patch having a black stitched border, and the nametag being brown leather, with a black leather backing. Many people had nice linings added to the inside of their leather jackets, with "blood chits" appropriate for CentComm sewn inside.

Nametags on the Nomex jackets just had the wings and the name beneath them. The leather ones for the A-2 jackets had the wings with name beneath them, and the rank and USAF beneath that.

Last edited by DMF; 02-27-2005 at 02:06..
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote