Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2005, 19:24   #1
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!

Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
Any ENSONIQ equipment users

And I'm talking back when they were making the good ****, like the VFX line of keyboards (which rock my world).
Sinister Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 20:45   #2
KeysBear

Way way back when it was new I had an Ensoniq ESQM module based on the ESQ1. It was a little rough around the edges sample wise and spent more time in the shop than onstage. I traded it for two Yamaha TX81Z's which were thin on most patches but had some cool stuff (great delayed bells) that I tweaked into submission. It even made some decent saw wave patches for a little 4 operator module.

Regards, Keys
KeysBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 16:52   #3
micah
loves you all.

I used to toy with an EPS. Mostly just sampling burp and fart sounds. Did I mention that it was while I was in Junior High?

Woe and death to all who oppose my will.
micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:38   #4
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!

Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
Quote:
Originally posted by micah
I used to toy with an EPS. Mostly just sampling burp and fart sounds. Did I mention that it was while I was in Junior High?
My dad has an EPS. I never really spent any time learning how to use it though.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:37   #5
joegerardi
Lifetime Membership

Send a message via ICQ to joegerardi
I don't really post in here, but I went to Juilliard in the 70's majoring in Performance Piano and I have 23 years playing live in rock bands as a keyboardist. I still have quite the home studio...

I did have an Ensoniq VFX-SD for about 2 months. I just couldn't get used to the crappy keyboard, and the polyphonic aftertouch was pretty much useless to me as a result. The sounds were okay, but there were far too many better instruments at the time, and I sold it off quickly.

..Joe
joegerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:53   #6
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!

Quote:
Originally posted by joegerardi
I don't really post in here, but I went to Juilliard in the 70's majoring in Performance Piano and I have 23 years playing live in rock bands as a keyboardist. I still have quite the home studio...

I did have an Ensoniq VFX-SD for about 2 months. I just couldn't get used to the crappy keyboard, and the polyphonic aftertouch was pretty much useless to me as a result. The sounds were okay, but there were far too many better instruments at the time, and I sold it off quickly.

..Joe
Must be one of those YMMV issues. My dad has 3 VFXs, One standard, one SD, and one SD-1. He also has a TS-12, but that needs a new display. We love them.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:11   #7
joegerardi
Lifetime Membership

Send a message via ICQ to joegerardi
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
Must be one of those YMMV issues. My dad has 3 VFXs, One standard, one SD, and one SD-1. He also has a TS-12, but that needs a new display. We love them.
Well, at the time, I was using an Emulator III, a Korg M1, a Roland D-550, an E-Mu Vintage Keys and a Prophet-10. There was very little the Ensoniq could offer over those instruments in the way of sounds.

As to the key feel, I was trained as a classical pianist. The keybed of an instrument is (was, actually, I hardly play at all anymore) very important. Since the Yamaha DX-7, keybeds have continued to get worse and worse. In fact, I *won't* own any of the Kurzweil products that have non-weighted keyboards. I love my K-2000VPR, but they keyboards suck bigtime. That's why I still have Yamaha KX88 and KX76 controllers to drive all my rack instruments. The keybeds on these are the cat's ass.

So you see why the keyboard on the VFX was problematic for me. It had very little feel, and was exceptionally spongy in feel.

..Joe
joegerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:20   #8
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!

Quote:
Originally posted by joegerardi

So you see why the keyboard on the VFX was problematic for me. It had very little feel, and was exceptionally spongy in feel.

..Joe
Actually, as someone who just started piano lessons, I know what you are talking about.