GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2005, 19:24   #1
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 1,433
Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
Any ENSONIQ equipment users

And I'm talking back when they were making the good ****, like the VFX line of keyboards (which rock my world).
Sinister Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 20:45   #2
KeysBear
Member
 
KeysBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Classified
Posts: 33
Way way back when it was new I had an Ensoniq ESQM module based on the ESQ1. It was a little rough around the edges sample wise and spent more time in the shop than onstage. I traded it for two Yamaha TX81Z's which were thin on most patches but had some cool stuff (great delayed bells) that I tweaked into submission. It even made some decent saw wave patches for a little 4 operator module.

Regards, Keys
KeysBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 16:52   #3
micah
loves you all.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,151
I used to toy with an EPS. Mostly just sampling burp and fart sounds. Did I mention that it was while I was in Junior High?
__________________
And the trees were all kept equal, by hatchet, axe, and saw.

Woe and death to all who oppose my will.
micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:38   #4
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 1,433
Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
Quote:
Originally posted by micah
I used to toy with an EPS. Mostly just sampling burp and fart sounds. Did I mention that it was while I was in Junior High?
My dad has an EPS. I never really spent any time learning how to use it though.
Sinister Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:37   #5
joegerardi
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Posts: 2,238
Send a message via ICQ to joegerardi
I don't really post in here, but I went to Juilliard in the 70's majoring in Performance Piano and I have 23 years playing live in rock bands as a keyboardist. I still have quite the home studio...

I did have an Ensoniq VFX-SD for about 2 months. I just couldn't get used to the crappy keyboard, and the polyphonic aftertouch was pretty much useless to me as a result. The sounds were okay, but there were far too many better instruments at the time, and I sold it off quickly.

..Joe
joegerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:53   #6
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 1,433
Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
Quote:
Originally posted by joegerardi
I don't really post in here, but I went to Juilliard in the 70's majoring in Performance Piano and I have 23 years playing live in rock bands as a keyboardist. I still have quite the home studio...

I did have an Ensoniq VFX-SD for about 2 months. I just couldn't get used to the crappy keyboard, and the polyphonic aftertouch was pretty much useless to me as a result. The sounds were okay, but there were far too many better instruments at the time, and I sold it off quickly.

..Joe
Must be one of those YMMV issues. My dad has 3 VFXs, One standard, one SD, and one SD-1. He also has a TS-12, but that needs a new display. We love them.
Sinister Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:11   #7
joegerardi
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Posts: 2,238
Send a message via ICQ to joegerardi
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
Must be one of those YMMV issues. My dad has 3 VFXs, One standard, one SD, and one SD-1. He also has a TS-12, but that needs a new display. We love them.
Well, at the time, I was using an Emulator III, a Korg M1, a Roland D-550, an E-Mu Vintage Keys and a Prophet-10. There was very little the Ensoniq could offer over those instruments in the way of sounds.

As to the key feel, I was trained as a classical pianist. The keybed of an instrument is (was, actually, I hardly play at all anymore) very important. Since the Yamaha DX-7, keybeds have continued to get worse and worse. In fact, I *won't* own any of the Kurzweil products that have non-weighted keyboards. I love my K-2000VPR, but they keyboards suck bigtime. That's why I still have Yamaha KX88 and KX76 controllers to drive all my rack instruments. The keybeds on these are the cat's ass.

So you see why the keyboard on the VFX was problematic for me. It had very little feel, and was exceptionally spongy in feel.

..Joe
joegerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:20   #8
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Traverse City, Michigan
Posts: 1,433
Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
Quote:
Originally posted by joegerardi

So you see why the keyboard on the VFX was problematic for me. It had very little feel, and was exceptionally spongy in feel.

..Joe
Actually, as someone who just started piano lessons, I know what you are talking about.
Sinister Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:48.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 709
192 Members
517 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42