Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:19   #1
norton

Worst bikes of all time

Since we have probably listed the best bikes of all time, I think its time for a list of the worst you have ridden/owned.
My personal worst was a homemade "Chopper" my B.I.L. owned. It was based on a Honda 305 twin, with extended front end, 15" ape hanger bars, and the worlds tallest and ugliest sissy bar. It had no front brakes, and was constantly trying to fall over on its own.
Wish I had a photo of it. Good for a few laughs.
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:53   #2
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

How about any streetbike with three wheels. For those who own a trike. This is NOT a motorcycle. If all you want is wind in your hair, get a convertible. It'll probably be cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 13:25   #3
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
How about any streetbike with three wheels. For those who own a trike. This is NOT a motorcycle. If all you want is wind in your hair, get a convertible. It'll probably be cheaper.
And corner better, cheaper to maintain, look better, etc. I hate getting behind some old guy on a trike when I'm going down a curvy road on the bike or in my convertible, every one has been a rolling road block.

Regards,
Glen

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 19:00   #4
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
That's a pretty cold statement. I'd wager that a large number of trike riders have been riding longer than you've been alive, but due to injury or age they aren't able to swing a leg over any longer. This is a way that they can maintain doing what they've been doing for years. Why would you choose to deprive them of that?

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 00:15   #5
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas T
That's a pretty cold statement. I'd wager that a large number of trike riders have been riding longer than you've been alive, but due to injury or age they aren't able to swing a leg over any longer. This is a way that they can maintain doing what they've been doing for years. Why would you choose to deprive them of that?
I know from personal experience ALOT of trike riders are not physically challenged. Some are, but alot are people who are just too lazy to actually buy a bike and ride it. They want some sort of road-legal La-Z-Boy. That is why %90 of them are freaking gold wings. They want to feel like they are part of the motorcycling crowd without actually riding a bike. A trike has a huge stability problem (since a triangle is not very stable, laterally). They are pretty physical to ride, since you now have to force the bars to turn and shift your weight to keep from tipping (kind of like riding a quad or 3-wheeler, both are very physical to ride). If they can do all that, I think they should be able to ride a real bike. I have met people with missing hands and arms that still ride street bikes (the missing hand guy rides an R1 with his prosthetic for crying out loud).

If I was injured to the point of not being able to ride a bike or my quad. I would give up on the sport and find something new I can actually enjoy. Putting around on a trike is not my idea of fun.

If they are injured and that is the only way they can enjoy motorcycling, sure. Have at it. But I have seen ALOT of trikes lately and most of the people getting off are walking around just fine. I personally would still have more fun in a Miata than some over-weight, slow, insanely over-priced, unstable, turd of a wanna-be bike. Hell I would bet dollars to doughnuts that a Miata could even out-run one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:26   #6
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas T
Yes they should be deprived of their trike because they are poor handling, dangerous pieces of junk. You have to wrestle them in a turn, the old fart driving the thing has to slow to a crawl to make it. I've been behind guys that corner slower than my old work van, they could probably have been run down from behind by a semi truck on a right hand turn. I can't even imagine what one is like to ride in the rain if they are that ****ty on dry pavement.

Notice how they stopped making three wheel ATVs? If they are that bad, then why make a road legal one?

Regards,
Glen

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:38   #7
the-fixer

For what it's worth... two bikes that I've personally ridden and while maybe not worst at least qualify as difficult:

1980 Yamaha 500 single. Fun in town but turns your back into mush with highway vibration.

1978 (79?) Suzuki Rotary engine. Poor puppy ran so hot in Reno that you just learned to ignore the temp gauge and pray that your legs wouldn't cook too badly.
the-fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 19:28   #8
norton

Quote:
Originally posted by the-fixer
For what it's worth... two bikes that I've personally ridden and while maybe not worst at least qualify as difficult:

1980 Yamaha 500 single. Fun in town but turns your back into mush with highway vibration.

1978 (79?) Suzuki Rotary engine. Poor puppy ran so hot in Reno that you just learned to ignore the temp gauge and pray that your legs wouldn't cook too badly.
Fixer,
I owned the SRX 600 Yamaha single. It only came to the U.S. for one year (1986 I believe). I actually loved that bike, the only problem was it was easy to start hot or cold but if it was just warm and died (which is seemed to do at stop lights) it was a pig to refire. Kicker only.

And the rotary. Never owned or rode one, but I guess you could say it was the answer to a question no one asked.
Old 01-23-2005, 20:01   #9
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by norton

And the rotary. Never owned or rode one, but I guess you could say it was the answer to a question no one asked.
It was the late 70s/ early 80s and the rotary was anew fangled idea. It was supposed to have replaced all piston engines by now. All the buzz about the RX-7 and such, so they started trying to make it work in other vehicles. Obviously it wasn't as revolutionary as they would have made you think.

Rotaries are nice and all, but if want 2-stroke like power, I will take the 2-stroke. It is even LESS complicated than the rotary.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:15   #10
the-fixer

Since you mentioned two-strokes.

I rode a friends Kawasaki two-stroke 500, around '77. The Mach I? O MY GOD! That thing would cruise along like a regular bike, hit its powerband and proceed to scare the life out of me.

Yep, it was too fast, handle too poorly and I loved that bike.
the-fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 14:48   #11
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by the-fixer
Since you mentioned two-strokes.

I rode a friends Kawasaki two-stroke 500, around '77. The Mach I? O MY GOD! That thing would cruise along like a regular bike, hit its powerband and proceed to scare the life out of me.

Yep, it was too fast, handle too poorly and I loved that bike.
Yeah that's what I hear about the old kawi triples. Now imagine the 750cc version.

Old 01-24-2005, 18:06   #12
norton

Quote:
Yeah that's what I hear about the old kawi triples. Now imagine the 750cc version.
My B.I.L. owned 2 of the 750 triples. It was a snotty beast. I rode it several times, and it seemed amazingly fast and almost uncontrolable.
But, compared to the new iron available today, it probably wasn't really that fast.
My favorite ring ding of all time was the RZ 350. My B.I.L. owned one of the Kenny Roberts signature models. It was a hoot to ride.
The R.D. 350 (air cooled) was a great wheelie machine. I owned a 1973. It fouled plugs on a regular basis, but it was stupidly easy to bring the front wheel up on this lightweight Yamaha
Old 01-24-2005, 21:54   #13
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
My B.I.L. owned 2 of the 750 triples. It was a snotty beast. I rode it several times, and it seemed amazingly fast and almost uncontrolable.
But, compared to the new iron available today, it probably wasn't really that fast.
My favorite ring ding of all time was the RZ 350. My B.I.L. owned one of the Kenny Roberts signature models. It was a hoot to ride.
The R.D. 350 (air cooled) was a great wheelie machine. I owned a 1973. It fouled plugs on a regular basis, but it was stupidly easy to bring the front wheel up on this lightweight Yamaha
My brother has an RD350 enigne in his garage. He use to have the whole bike, but it was soooo beat up it wasn't worth trying to bring it back. So he kept the motor (since it is so stupid simple to make into runnig condition). He has planned on using it as powerplant for a lot of projects that hasn't happened yet. First he was going to put in a beat up Warrior quad chassis for a budget banshee, but sold the chassis. Then he wanted it in a go-kart (not a cheesy one, but like a used shifter cart). Now it just sits there in his garage until he can actually do something with it.

There is a lot of power hidden in those things (it's essentially an air-cooled banshee/RZ engine). I have seen one guy get about 60hp (about 171 hp/l)out of it on his track bike.

Old 01-25-2005, 13:34   #14
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:
My brother has an RD350 enigne in his garage. He use to have the whole bike, but it was soooo beat up it wasn't worth trying to bring it back. So he kept the motor (since it is so stupid simple to make into runnig condition). He has planned on using it as powerplant for a lot of projects that hasn't happened yet. First he was going to put in a beat up Warrior quad chassis for a budget banshee, but sold the chassis. Then he wanted it in a go-kart (not a cheesy one, but like a used shifter cart). Now it just sits there in his garage until he can actually do something with it.

There is a lot of power hidden in those things (it's essentially an air-cooled banshee/RZ engine). I have seen one guy get about 60hp (about 171 hp/l)out of it on his track bike.

I have a very good condition '75 RD350 in my basement. 2730 miles with the original tires and battery. Can't figure out what I want to do with it. Probably just hold onto it, I've only ridden it twice and it is fun.

Rinspeed
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 13:46   #15
Catbird
loves guns!

Worst bikes of all time

The Enfield. All of the ones on the showroom floor had metal pans under them to catch the oil drippings. ;T
Old 01-25-2005, 13:52   #16
RugerFan58

Quote:
I owned a Kawasaki 750 triple and the Yamaha RD 350 and RD400. The 750 was widely called "The Flexible Flyer" and the RD350 was called "The Giant Killer" when it first came out. The 750 could do wheelies with just a flick of the wrist but was useless in the corners. I had a few tank slappers at high speed with mine. Like you say the older bikes seem slow compared to the newer ones. My old Yamaha XS1100 with a Wisco Big Bore Kit[1196]and 33MM smooth bores got passed by a box stock Yamaha 400-4 one day. That 400 was fast but I did get 89,000 out of my XS1100 before I sold it. It still ran and fired up without a complaint.
Old 01-25-2005, 14:50   #17
TreeTrooper
Shhhhh...

My Sportster (883) was a real turd, and my Low Rider was an even bigger, more expensive turd.
Big Dawg #1175
Niner's Club #116
Pennsylvania Glocker #80
Top Gun 357 SIG #116
Sub Club #116
TreeTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:23   #18
norton

Re: Worst bikes of all time

Quote:
Originally posted by Catbird
The Enfield. All of the ones on the showroom floor had metal pans under them to catch the oil drippings. ;T
You know why the British never made television sets?

Engineers couldn't figure out a way to make them leak oil
Old 01-26-2005, 18:26   #19
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Re: Re: Worst bikes of all time

Quote:
You know why the British never made television sets?

Engineers couldn't figure out a way to make them leak oil
I thought it was because thier engineers were too busy putting the worst electronics known to man in Jaguars.;f

Old 01-26-2005, 18:54   #20
Rinspeed
JAFO

Re: Re: Re: Worst bikes of all time

Quote:
I thought it was because thier engineers were too busy putting the worst electronics known to man in Jaguars.;f

What are you talking about? Juguars have great electronics....

As long as it doesn't rain.
Rinspeed is online now   Reply With Quote