Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-25-2006, 20:37   #26
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by Squid.HM2
its all C.W. Macalls fault, back in 60s to mid 70s 23 chan. was fine and my yaesu was great. Then every little kid had one and we needed 40 chan. then everyone had a VFO and a linear amp... how times change
Guilty as charged.

I was 16-17 yrs old and ran a Pace 23 ch that was modded to allow access to 23A. Then for the house I got a Sears 40 Ch with SSB, a Black Bart 50 watt kicker, VFO, and an Astatic D109 mike.

I shot skip like there was no tomorrow, but it wasn't until years later that I realized what a goof I was. I still have all the equipment but it hasn't been out of the closet in decades.

Now that I'm working on my Tech that old stuff will probably never see the light of day again. I even went out to the fairgrounds yesterday to meet some of the hams working the Field Day. I've been listening to them for the last couple of weeks and thought I'd put a face to a call sign.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:05   #27
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Don't be too quick to trash that modified citizens band gear. Once you're properly licensed to work HF, it can easily and successfully be used when the new sunspot cycle starts to make a whole lot of new friends worldwide in the ten meter band.

Back in the high sunspot period of the late 70's, I talked to people all over the world using a modified CB transceiver on sideband with a whole 12 watts out into a dipole in my attic. Contacts in Australia, New Zealand, China and Japan were not uncommon.

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:38   #28
Dragster
Lone Star #4040

Remember, only use the required amount of power to make the contact. It's the law.

I know, most FCC approved radios can't do that. 5w, 25w, 50w, 100w, etc. with no adjustment to talk down the street.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2A
Dragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 19:51   #29
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

Many weeks ago some friends and I took our sons camping. Four dads and five sons (two mine) had a great time. Late in the night, the kids were asleep and we seniors were enjoying cigars and adult beverages beside the campfire. Lightning appeared, and began getting close. The wind picked up. We could barely get any cell reception, radar was very sketchy. I brought a yaesu ft60-r and had been monitoring. My friends were surprised when I put out my call sign asking for weather conditions. Seconds later, in the howling wind, a fellow thirty miles away asked my location, looked us up online, and told us to 'take cover now'. We took his advise, and all hell broke loose soon after.

Since then, these guys want to know how to get their tickets too.
Old 04-30-2013, 00:00   #30
Lakerdude

"""""

Last edited by Lakerdude; 05-29-2013 at 12:37..
Lakerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 17:04   #31
EUPHER49

Lakerdude, as long as that dipole is cut correctly and SWR <3 your XMTR will be just fine...

-- E. F. Nine
EUPHER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 17:50   #32
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Damn, now I wanna ham.