SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:49   #1
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Report on Red Wing boots, 1st Gear riding gear and Shoei helmet

I have the 1st Gear Mesh-Tex Jacket and the 1st Gear HT Overpants that I purchased for hot weather riding. Why I bought the overpants instead of the Mesh-Tex pants, I don't know. I just did.

These jackets and pants both have linings for when the temperature drops a bit. I took them out because the temperature was around high-70s yesterday. They both work pretty well to keep me cool while riding at speed and not too warm while crawling. The mesh worked a little bit too well. I rode back home from the movies at around 10PM where the temperature had dropped down to about 60-something. Oh boy, I felt it! It got chilly at around 50-MPH, so I punked out and slowed down to 40-MPH and cruised home.

The Red Wing boots are Type 968 . Soft leather, very comfortable to walk in. Well built. It's a typical Red Wing product. Also people seem to like the buckles.

The Shoei RF1000 is a bit disappointing. It fits nicely and quiet, but it fogs up too easily, even at speed. Yes, I opened the vent holes. I'm going to have to find another helmet with better fogging control or something.
Old 01-24-2005, 18:47   #2
kshuart

Re: Report on Red Wing boots, 1st Gear riding gear and Shoei helmet

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
The Shoei RF1000 is a bit disappointing. It fits nicely and quiet, but it fogs up too easily, even at speed. Yes, I opened the vent holes. I'm going to have to find another helmet with better fogging control or something.

Buy a Fog City for $15 and stick it on the inside of your shield. They work well. Another trick with the Shoei helmets is to flip that black thing on the left side of the helmet, then close the shield. The black thing keeps it from closing all of the way and allowing air to keep the inside from fogging.
Old 01-24-2005, 19:15   #3
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I thought about Fog City but they distort the view a bit, especially at night. My eyes ain't all that great in the first place...;J

I am considering the FogTech anti-fogging treatment. It's worth a try. Right now I'm leaving the face shield one notch high. But it gets cold real quick not to mention sand and bug still flew in. I almost got a small bug in the eye when I rode with the face shield nearly closed like that. Somehow that freaking bug got in through that half-inch worth of opening, got deflected underneath my eyeglasses and lodge itself right on my damn nose! Not in the nostril, but on the nose and then it started to crawl around.

Okay, let me elaborate some more. When the temperature was warm like yesterday (low-mid 70s), when I got up to speed, the venting worked fine. No fogging. But at night when it got cooler (60+), fogging developed even at speed.
Old 01-24-2005, 20:58   #4
kshuart

Yup, Fog City does distort a little. They even warn against using it at night because of the glare from headlights.

Zooke is another one to try (www.zooke.com), but probably about the same thing as FogTech. Comes in liquid or paste. I saw Zooke at the motorcycle show last year and my wife bought some of the stuff to try. Looks good, but I can never remember to put it on my shield, so I just use the Fog City. Doesn't Rain-X make an anti-fog liquid to wipe on as well?

I agree, the first notch on the Shoei helmet is too much. That black thing on the left side seems to keep mine almost closed, but just cracked (not to the first notch yet). I'm not sure, but they might be adjustable.