SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:32   #1
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

ABS saved my ass tonight!!!

I was riding back from the beach and it was about close to 10 PM. I also rode at the speed limit of 45-MPH going around a curve. This road is very well lit because it's a new development area for the tract houses. Why they put a curve there is beyond me. The curve wasn't bad at all, actually, except for the dumbass in a Dodge Magnum that pulled out in front of me to do a right turn. I saw him coming because of his headlights. I rolled off the throttle and blinked my light at him to let him know that I was coming. But for some reasons, my spider-sense was tingling and I got my right fingers on the brake lever. Damn if that bastard didn't just ran the stop sign and made a sloppy right turn directly in front of me. I think that the SOB was drunk

So, he took the right turn onto the far left lane and then swung back to the right lane of which I was traveling on. I already rolled off the throttle but I'm still in the middle of negotiating the curve with the bike already leaned over and me countersteering. So I grabbed the brake lever and squeezed it hard. Once again the bike shed speed like no tomorrow, but thank goodness that the ABS kept the front and/or rear brakes from locking up. Otherwise I would have been a slider.

Anyway, the ABS allowed me to panick brake yet still control the vehicle enough to countersteer the other way and straighten out the vehicle and came to a controlled dead stop with seconds. It's a damn good thing that nobody was behind me or...

Anyway, I won't gripe any more about how the ABS brakes don't have good feedbacks any more.

Thank you, BMW engineers, and thank you, MSF Ridercourse and instructors!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:52   #2
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Thy guy I just bought my Symax helmets from swears by ABS and absolutely loves the system.

If I recall correctly, 75% of motorcycle accidents are in or near intersections.

Good on you for staying attentive to the possibility of what might have happened.

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:55   #3
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Moto Club

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:55   #4
k12lts

Good thing you were paying attention to the cars around you. I like to practice engaging the ABS every once in a while to remind myself what it feels like when it activates.

I think ABS is the single most important safety feature available on bikes today.
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote