SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:50   #1
Soujurn
Deus Diligo USA

Anti Virus software

My Norton subscription has expired and I have been thinking of trying something else.
Norton has always caught everything that has tried to invade my computer so far so I am not unhappy with it.
I have been reading a couple reviews of BitDefender from Softwin, and it rates pretty high.
Has anyone here tried it? What do you think of it?
Soujurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:37   #2
Washington,D.C.

I have the free BitDefender for Linux.I use it to scan files before putting them in my Windows machine and I can scan my Windows from Linux.I only use it because it's free.A while back,a year or two ago,BitDefender got a bad rep because it installed software unrelated to antivirus along with it's antivirus prigram.I don't remember all of the details but it was some sort of spyware/adware.I also have a live Linux CD with BitDefender that you can boot and run from CD rom drive and scan your Windows files without starting Windows.The problem with it is the antivirus in it is out of date.It's an interresting CD though.BitDefender got a lot of bad press before.I don't know about their current Windows product.Norton is good if you just renew your subscription without upgrading to a newer version.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:59   #3
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
DC, I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with your appraisal of NAV...

I have removed 11 copies of NAV 2004 in the last two or three weeks. All were 100% updated, except for the ones whose LiveUpdate applet had broken...oh, and the one that insisted it be re-activated every time the PC was started.

And most of those machines had multiple virus infections. Oddly enough, the NAVed machines that were NOT up to date on the definitions only had two or three.

The so-called 'good' NAV copies had anywhere from 6 to 45 different worms and Trojans in them.

After much effort and toil, each of those computers is now totally virus-free - and with the help of Avast! they should stay that way for a good long time.

These machines often need the XP network totally blown out and set up again manually if the user had ever enabled the 'Security Firewall' 'feature' in NIS. "Page Cannot Be Found" really bums them out. No FREE software firewalls I have ever seen are anywhere near as buggy as NIS seems to be.

And it is just so damned expensive to use...particularly for what the end user gets! Which usually amounts to paying $39 per call to India or paying for a few technician visits...

Same with McAfee...but it isn't quite as bad. DO NOT confuse that with GOOD--their indictment just isn't as scathing as Symantec's is, IMHO.

The facts clearly show that these for-pay, yearly-extortion AV apps are just as much of a money pit for the ignorant, tech-stupid zombies as Dell 2400's with no upgrade possibilities and no support are.

No one ought to be put through this sort of thing. Oh, and BTW in a few hours I have to call a new client who hates Norton and needs a housecall. Apparently, he recently b0rked his OS when he removed NAV04 w/o shutting every last one of its tentacles off first...

Ought to be fun. I could fix this sort of damage in my sleep now, I have done it so many times.

"Revolting" and "Pathetic" almost begin to sum up these "Security" companies' malicious and abusive Corporate Profiteering schemes.
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:45   #4
Washington,D.C.

I've heard about problems with NAV 2003 and 2004.I haven't had any experience with newer than NAV 2002.He says he wasn't having any issues with the ione he has.If all he needs is a suscription he should be fine.I have heard of people somehow being forced to upgrade to a newer version after having paid for renewal and the must then pay even more fore the upgrade.I let my last NAV suscription run out and am trying the new versions of Avast and AVG.Avast is a bit odd to use.AVG takes a long time to scan but seems to run okay.I only do this now because I use Linux and BSD more often than Windows these days.I did have one infected file when I had NAV and Trend Micro's online scan found and removed it.NAV failed to find it so I know it's not perfect but seems to stay up to date.
Old 01-30-2005, 15:10   #5
SamBuca

Send a message via AIM to SamBuca
Re: Anti Virus software

Quote:
Originally posted by Soujurn
My Norton subscription has expired and I have been thinking of trying something else.
Norton has always caught everything that has tried to invade my computer so far so I am not unhappy with it.
I have been reading a couple reviews of BitDefender from Softwin, and it rates pretty high.
Has anyone here tried it? What do you think of it?
McAfee. Not impressed with their other products, but VirusScan is the best of the best.

Faithful VirusScan user since 1993.
Old 01-31-2005, 23:00   #6
Tom34
Obama Must Go!

I don't understand all the Norton bashing. I've used it for years. Pop the CD in and it works....bottom line. Watch the Sunday ads and never pay for the yearly upgrade, other than the sales tax and a stamp. But to each his own.
Tom34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:38   #7
Medievaltech
I need money :)

i use avast (its good and free)avast
Medievaltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:35   #8
Bronson7

I'm using the free version of AVAST and it's working very well. I was having update problems with AVG (XP) but AVAST updates like a champ. The VRDB feature seems to be a good idea also. Fortunately, I have not yet had to give it the acid test. In all fairness to AVG, allthough a little buggy in my pc, it works like a champ on my GF's 982E rig. As far as Norton's is concerned, I'm not looking back.
Bronson7
Bronson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:54   #9
LAWDOGKMS

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom34
I don't understand all the Norton bashing. I've used it for years. Pop the CD in and it works....bottom line. Watch the Sunday ads and never pay for the yearly upgrade, other than the sales tax and a stamp. But to each his own.
Same here..

Have used Norton System Works for 4 yrs now..

I've got it on 2 Dell Desktops and a Toshiba laptop..

Never had the first bit of trouble with it..

I like the Norton System works package..

I had McAfee on a PC before, and when I was military, we had it on the military pc's and it was/is? a serious "system hog"..

On my older PC, it really, really slowed things down noticeably..

I guess it all boils down to the old quote: "to each his own"
LAWDOGKMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:58   #10
Glocker74

I just gave AVG the boot...pun intended. Ran Avast for the first time, and guess what? Found a virus that has been here for 5 days. Kuang.

If anyone can give me a good reason not to use this free Avast, and go buy Norton or McAfee, PLEASE say it...I want the best protection, and don't mind paying for it. Thanks!
Niners Club #74
Glocker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:35   #11
Furant

I've actually just fairly recently switched to AVG after briefly reviewing both it and Avast. AVG just seemed intuitive and fit my needs, but I like DC's recommendation of having a Linux bootdisk or my Linux partition scan the Windows ones for virii ;a . I've always heard that having multiple AVs on a Windows system can be bad news. Not sure if that's just hype or if real conflicts will exist.

I'll have to checkout BitDefender. Any other good Linux-based AV apps around?

Joey
Furant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:44   #12
Washington,D.C.

http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/products.php?p_id=40
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48   #13
Washington,D.C.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/linux/linux.asp
Old 02-02-2005, 11:50   #14
Washington,D.C.

This is the one I like http://www.f-prot.com/
Old 02-02-2005, 11:53   #15
Washington,D.C.

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/linux/
Old 02-02-2005, 15:53   #16
Washington,D.C.

http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/d...php?menu_id=21
Old 02-02-2005, 17:49   #17
Furant

Awesome! I used F-Prot back in my DOS days and loved it. I had forgotten it even existed. Much thanks.
Furant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:33   #18
Washington,D.C.

BitDefender has an online scanner too http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
Old 02-03-2005, 03:41   #19
Washington,D.C.

http://www.securitywonks.net/project...ls.php?file=13
Old 02-03-2005, 03:43   #20
Washington,D.C.

Microsoft's new Windows AntiSpyware utility improperly detects a key portion the BitDefender antivirus utility as being a spyware application.

BitDefender's Spiridonica is unhappy about Microsoft's lack of urgency in handling its complaint, submitted ten days ago. "Having your application described as spyware is similar to libel. I'm sure it will be fixed in the end but other affected companies were treated the same, Microsoft would face litigation over monopolistic manoeuvres," she said. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01...pyware_glitch/