Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2005, 22:36   #1
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Looking for a sportbike, advise wanted.

My wife and I are looking to get a sportbike in 6-7 months. Price is no issue (up to $15k or so;Q). We're currently looking at a Yamaha FZ6, mainly because it seems a bit more comfortable than most. Biggest concerns are maintenance, and ability to carry a passenger without unreasonable discomfort for short distances. There is only one instant disqualifier, which is strange, but itís a personal pet peeve of mineÖ. No large mufflers on one side. One on each side is fine, but that asymmetrical look just drives me nuts! So lets hear your opinions.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 23:28   #2
RBR

I think every current 600 - 1000cc sportbike has just one exhaust can on it. If it has to have 2 pipes then this will work nicely.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...5/Default.aspx
Old 02-02-2005, 23:42   #3

Think buell. Exhust is in center bottom of bike. And its a Harley. My brother owns one he loves it.

"wipe that golden tear from my mother dear and raise whats left of the flag for me"!!!!
1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 23:42   #4
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

If you're going to be doing much two-up riding I'd suggest the Honda Interceptor... It has dual cans that exit under the tail.

Moto Club

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:40   #5
phxtravis
Professional

The FZ6 is a great bike, the engine is from the R6 but has been de-tuned for more midrange power(which would make it a more reliable engine). The seat is comfortable as is the riding position, and as you know its got the dual undertails.
Moto Club
phxtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:26   #6
Clydeglide

Quote:
Originally posted by RBR
I think every current 600 - 1000cc sportbike has just one exhaust can on it. If it has to have 2 pipes then this will work nicely.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...5/Default.aspx
That does have the best seat for 2 up riding. Of course if money is not a problem get 1 each. We did.

Moto Club

Glock 36
Clydeglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 15:08   #7
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

We're planning on getting a second one not too long after, but we have little riding experience (I have none), and don't want to get to much, to fast.
For the last time
Old 02-03-2005, 16:43   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Well, even an FZ6 will have plenty of horsepower (over 100-hp, I believe). But if carrying a passenger is important then you'd need something with more torque and some decent suspension (not too soft and not too hard). What you may need to look at is a true sports tourer. It's bigger and heavier than the FZ600, but it would probably be more stable at highway speeds, especially while carrying a passenger.

I'd suggest to look at a BMW R1100S with MSRP at $12.8K. ABS is optional (but probably at around $1000-$2000 option) plus a plethora of factory accessories for cargo carrying capacity. Dry weight is 429-lbs isn't too much heavier than the FZ6.
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/machin...p?model=r1100s

But if you guys are going to get another bike for the missus soon afterward, then the FZ6 would be a great choice.

The BMW F650CS would be a great runabout but it's underpowered for two-up riding. It's still a nice bike for beginners albeit at a rather steep price.

Alas Beemers don't have dual pipes on each side.
Old 02-03-2005, 16:56   #9
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

Quote:
Originally posted by NeverMore1701
We're planning on getting a second one not too long after, but we have little riding experience (I have none), and don't want to get to much, to fast.
Zero experience? Skip two up for a while, start on a 250 to 500 CC bike, get good training and good gear. Taking a MSF course before you buy is also a *very* good idea.

You will be much better served to buy a $1,500 to $2,500 Suzuki GS500, ride it for a year or two, then upgrade. Get all of your learning in on something that's cheap to fix, light and tossable.

The latest and greatest sportbikes only mask bad habits. It's your choice, but you will get a much more solid foundation on a lesser machine. Even if it's not a super deluxe 1000CC rice rocket, they are still quicker than 95% of the cars on the road.

Regards,
Glen

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 17:07   #10
the-fixer

Pity about your no lopsided exhaust can requirement.

Iíve been riding a 2003 Suzuki SV650S (the SV650 has the more standard seating) and enjoy it even more than my old GS1000.
the-fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 19:04   #11
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I disagree with Glen about getting a cheaper and smaller bike for starter.

Even if one is a first-timer to motorcycles, a modest 600-cc is fine; or even a liter superbike is fine...if the rider knows his/her limitations.

If one were to attend an MSF Basic Ridercourse and paid attention to the instructors and practices the basic riding techniques that are taught in the class, one will fare very well. I wouldn't suggest anything bigger than 600-cc or specifically much over 400-lbs just because the rider has to get used to maneuvering the bike at low speeds and handling it at stops and starts. Of course if a first-time rider is 6ft4, he probably wouldn't have too much problems with handling a 1000-cc+ bike either.

I understand that the theory behind getting a cheaper, smaller bike for the "oops I fell" situation, but I stand behind my statement that if one were to be careful and cognizant of one's ability, everything will be fine.

I haven't ridden in 13 years and only barely returned to the folds. Before that I had about four years' worth of riding (too cool to attend MSF). I thought that I had bitten more than I can chew for going with an 1150-cc bike as my returning bike, but after a mere 300-miles, I'm already used to its handling and weight. I'm not going to carve any canyon any time soon, but just for basic tooting about and enjoying the breeze, I'm good to go.

And also the Suzuki SV650 is a VERY nice street sports bike.
Old 02-03-2005, 21:09   #12
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

I actually agree with fnfalman for once. I say take an MSF course. They teach you all the basics on a 125. Then I say get a SV650. It has lopsided pipes, but at least in the advent of a crash it is only a 50/50 chance you will have to buy a new exhaust.

The SV650 is an awesome little bike that is not intimidating to a beginner, but has plenty more for when you get more experienced and want it. They handle so well they have taken over whole race series and is one of the most common track bikes around. Parts are EVERYWHERE for it (be it factory or aftermarket) thanks to it's track popularity and they only cost like $7000 new. For that price you could get one for you AND your wife (since sitting on back is boring).

I suggest this bike to EVERYONE who is starting on street bikes. Every major motorcycle magazine (in any country) absolutely loves the thing. It gets all the "best bang for the buck" awards every year it seems.

Now when you feel like stepping up your game from there, follow Clydeglide's advise. The Busa is one bad mutha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by epsylum; 02-03-2005 at 21:12..
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 16:07   #13
USMC79to83

+2 for the MSF Course.

It's the best entry-level instruction you can get.

An FZ6 is a great bike (as are most, these days) and if that's the one that calls your name, resistance is futile.

Be sure to wear as much protective equipment as you can hold, don't cheap-out on the helmet and gloves and have as much fun as you possibly can!
Old 02-04-2005, 22:03   #14
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by USMC79to83
+2 for the MSF Course.
+3

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:09   #15
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

We're definately going for the MSF, and are looking at about ~$1k protective gear.... No reason not to. We're both also looking at the busas, but not quite yet
For the last time
Old 02-05-2005, 18:14   #16
norton

I guess its a little late to mention this, but if you were to go to Daytona for bike week, you can test ride (with valid license) several different bikes for free! Boy its fun to ride other peoples(manufacturers) bikes and burn up their fuel. And you get a better idea about a bike by riding it then you will ever get simply sitting on one in a showroom.
Also, hold off on buying a second one. Your wife may find she really doesn't like riding. It can be intimidating, and you will find many people lose their enthusiasm after riding in the rain, cold, windy conditions.
My standard advice to new riders is to ride dirt bikes first. If you have the opportunity to do this, you will learn much from riding dirty and it could save your life.
Any professional training is very good.
BTW, your choice of bike may depend on the length of your legs of all things. People with short inseams sometimes have a tough time with sport bikes. The reason you see so many women on cruiser bikes, is because its easy to touch the ground on one.
You are new. You have much to learn. Like watching out for loose gravel in turns, and not to follow semi's.
But above all, never never forget that you are totally, 100%, invisible to any drivers on the road. Do not forget this.
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 18:33   #17
beemerphile
CLM Number 79
Charter Lifetime Member

For a zero experience rider stay off sportbikes and leave the passenger off for at least 10,000 miles. The MSF RiderCourse is an excellent suggestion. Lots of street bike emergencies are caused by unanticipated traction losses. For that reason, the best place to learn how to handle a motorcycle is in the dirt. I can't count the number of times that my dirt bike "instincts" saved my bacon on the street when the bike got squirrely or sideways. I'd recomend a dual purpose dirt bike like a KLR650 Kawasaki. I have a 1993 model that I bought for $1,000. If you trash it on the learning curve it's no financial loss. Really, Start easy! - Lee
G17, G19, G20, G21, G22, G23, G26, G27. Sub Club #19
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 00:21   #18
gixxer11
bbrrraaapppppp!

Quote:
For a zero experience rider stay off sportbikes and leave the passenger off for at least 10,000 miles. The MSF RiderCourse is an excellent suggestion. Lots of street bike emergencies are caused by unanticipated traction losses. For that reason, the best place to learn how to handle a motorcycle is in the dirt. I can't count the number of times that my dirt bike "instincts" saved my bacon on the street when the bike got squirrely or sideways. I'd recomend a dual purpose dirt bike like a KLR650 Kawasaki. I have a 1993 model that I bought for $1,000. If you trash it on the learning curve it's no financial loss. Really, Start easy! - Lee

Amen to that! Dirt bike riding teaches you more about throttle control, handling, braking, or anything about riding a bike than any street bike ever could. You'll be %100 better rider for sure. It's just like someone who has never shot a gun, going out and buying some $3000 custom made, competition firearm. It doesn't matter what you've got if you can't use it. Plus, you'll have WAY more fun knowing what riding a bike is all about.
#1340 10mm Reloading & 10 Ring member

Last edited by gixxer11; 02-06-2005 at 00:31..
gixxer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 17:27   #19
upslogger19

Dude stay away from the busas. Way to big and fast for you two. People thought I was crazy starting on an 04 R6. I had zero problems though, and I started riding 2 up the first week. I grew up racing dirt bikes though so :shrug . I think you are kind of a poser personally. Whats with the no one side exhaust rule? If you are wanting to ride because it looks cool then you are in it for the wrong reason. BTW, I think super sports are plenty comfortable. Honda 600rr's have a single undertail exhaust as well as the new Kawi zxr-6.
upslogger19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:52   #20
RottnJP
Lifetime Membership

+ another for the MSF class. Also, I'd stay away for a true "sport" bike for starters... Fz-6 or Fz-1 at the most (I'm a bigger guy, so my first bike was an old KZ-1000 10 years ago.) Sv-650 is a good choice too depending on your size (height, that is- it's a shorter bike.) I also like the Bandit 6's for a starter bike. Bandit 12 is a very nice "all-around" bike- good value, good performance, but more than you need for a first bike. The higher-tuned super-sports are wayyyy more than you need, and can bite you very easily. Besides, you're not really not missing much, in the realistic riding world, if you go with a street bike like the Fz's.
You are also well-advised to leave your PAX at home until you've got a couple years of riding under your belt. You *will* have things about riding surprise you, and you are going to be much better able to catch 'em and correct safely without the extra mass and instability on board.

Good luck!!

-JP
Outpost Member #69.14159
RottnJP is offline   Reply With Quote