SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2005, 22:04   #1
ateamer
NRA4EVR

New Bike: Concours

I did it! I just got home with my 2005 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours. After riding a 1986 Gold Wing (1200) for 16 years, it was time for something new. The Concours handles like a sport bike (well, compared to the Wing), is light, and has surprisingly good wind protection, exactly what I have been wanting.

I can highly recommend Cycle Center of Fremont (California). They treated us very well, took great care of us and were honest. Brooks Bagby was the salesman and I have only positive things to say about him.

Thursday is the next day I have free. I'm thinking southern Monterey or San Benito County. Woooooooooohoooooooooooo!
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 00:27   #2
Rexzilla
Hoosier

Well I have always been a fan of the Kaw inline fours since my 900cc Z-1 days. The Concours series is a great buy for what you get, congrats. Many bikes cost more but deliver less.
Some ppl say that some Connies get buzzes about eighty, mph. The ones I have been on never had that problem. The real plus of these bikes is the luggage racks and storage available on the bike. The shaft drive simplifys maintainance. I would be riding one regularly if I did not have short legs, I have a 29 inch inseam. I had thought about seeing what Corbin has in lowering the seat height.
The Concours is about crusing back country two lanes and exploring those out of the way towns in the USA. It is for people who actually ride their bikes rather than gather at the Harley dealership buying chrome doo dads for their bike.
Some ppl put Rifle aftermarket windshields on their Connies, to raise the windsheil height. It depends on how tall a torso you have where the wind can hit you. You don't want to be bucking wind with your head touring...can we say "stiff neck".
Connies have a soul, enjoy yours
Old 02-09-2005, 02:26   #3
ateamer
NRA4EVR

That is exactly my riding style. I love the backroads, but have to spend some time on freeways around here. I don't go much over 75, so the buzzing will probably never be an issue.

It looks like the bike need handlebar risers and lower footpegs, but I'm going to wait a few weeks and see how I adjust to the bike.

The truck is going to back to sitting for two or three weeks without moving.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:58   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Congratulations!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 14:36   #5
Rexzilla
Hoosier

You can also get some gel grips if it does get the buzzies. The Connies do afford good wind protection as is. I wish I had longer legs for it. Sombody told me that Corbin sells a seat lowering kit...I will have to check it out.
Old 02-09-2005, 16:56   #6
stinx

IF the bars are hollow, fill them with lead shot. I did this when I had a Bandit 1200, it eliminated almost all the vibration in the bars.
stinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 20:37   #7
norton

Congrats-
I really enjoyed mine when i had it.
I took a trip with a friend from Indianapolis to Atlanta Georgia to the superbike races. He rode a BMW, I rode my connie. It was a great trip.
The only "fitting" problem I had was the foot pegs were too high.
I took another memorable trip on that bike around Chicago at night (you haven't lived until you have ridden the Dan Ryan expressway on a Friday evening in the rain). Headed up to Elkhart Lake track for a fun weekend of watching Superbike racing and camping out. The connie easily held my clothes, tent, sleeping bag. It looked good and ran like stink too.
Another memorable trip to the Memphis area, and a side trip to the Shiloh battlefield. The connie handled it all with ease.
Enjoy your bike!
norton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 00:18   #8
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

ateamer,

You and me both. I took possession of title today on a 2001 Connie with 5494 miles on it. Haul Bikes will be bringing it to me sometime around the end of the month.

If you haven't already, I strongly suggest a membership in the Concours Owners Group (COG) www.concours.org

It is only $30 and you will receive a wealth of info on the bike. The forum itself is VERY informative and Murph's is the place you will spend much of your disposable income for Farkles - and there are plenty to choose from for the Connie. Perhaps not as many as for the Wings, but there are still plenty.

Do make sure that you put a couple thousand miles on it before you throw the risers on it. Some people like it just fine the way it is.

COG #6654

Moto Club

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote