SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2005, 21:06   #1
KD5MSY

Send a message via Yahoo to KD5MSY
Need your oppinions on stethascopes

Ok I am about to start clinical for my EMT-B. We are using the ADC ADSCOPE in class room labs, and well..... I don't know. In a room with everyone talking it gets tough to hear when taking vitals. A friend swears up and down, that I need to get a Littman Classic II SE ($70.00), if I want a good stethoscope. Now my view point is as a basic about the most I will be doing is patient assessment and vitals, and I would like a good stethoscope, so as to not have to keep borrowing one from the person on shift. So here is my question what do you all use and what works the best for you all? Keep in mind that I am more concerned with how well it will perform in the field and back of the ambulance with all the noise, than if it can tell you the number of red blood cells flowing through the artery in one minute. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Robert
Old 02-05-2005, 22:34   #2
DepChief
Get Tous's Rope

Send a message via Yahoo to DepChief

I agree with your friend, Littman makes the best quality scopes, I have been using them for years. I have the Classic II and it works great in the back of a moving rig or anywhere else there is lots of ambient noise. If I was to buy one today, I would get the Master Classic II, its only about $25.00 more than the Classic II and it has the heavier "Cardiac" style head piece, which seems to work even better in the field. If you are thinking about making EMS your career, moving up to paramedic, or just have a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket, the Littman Master Cardiology is the best scope out there. A co-worker has one and they will pick up anything you would ever want to hear in any amount of outside noise. The problem with them is that they cost around $200.00, but its an investment in your career and it will last you for many years.
Also, if you buy a decent scope, make sure you get the inside of the bell engraved, it will help keep it from walking away.
Good Luck!
DepChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 23:25   #3
KD5MSY

thanks DepChief, I wasn't sure where the line between a scope being nice and too nice for field use (kinda like the mercadies SUV). I have checked out the littman site and they do make some nice stuff, I will have to look into the master clasic II, only 25 more hu.. I was/am cautious about buying the high dollar scopes, I am tough on my gear no mater what it cost, so i need something that is not just pretty on the shelf, but works good when coverd in mud, or what ever else you could throw at it.
Old 02-05-2005, 23:31   #4
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

My wife bought me a Littman about a year ago and the thing is great. My only complaint is that the right ear piece keeps getting lost!

A good stethascope is a necesity in this line of work. Taking a bp or listening to L/S with a cheap stethascope is almost impossible in the back of a truck or on a scene with people talking around you!
DaleGribble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 23:58   #5
DepChief
Get Tous's Rope

Quote:
Originally posted by DaleGribble
My wife bought me a Littman about a year ago and the thing is great. My only complaint is that the right ear piece keeps getting lost!

Check your right ear, it might be there!
Old 02-06-2005, 00:03   #6
DepChief
Get Tous's Rope

Littmans are very durable. I am very rough on mine and have had it for several years and it has held up great. But like Dale stated, I would get a few spare ear pieces, they do tend to get lost.
Old 02-06-2005, 00:30   #7
Joey

Why Littman of course

Get the best one you can afford, I've got the Classic II & we now have new Master Classic II's on our rescues & they are **** hot!!!!!!!!!!!
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:11   #8
Squid.HM2

i have a CardioSonic Stethoscope that i still use, its old but works great worth taking a look at IMO

A cigar is a wonderful tool,it gives a wise man time to think,and a fool something to stick in his mouth
Squid.HM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:55   #9
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

I have a classic two, but to be honest, it stays in my protocol bag most of the time, and I just use the ten dollar one that the county buys and sticks in the jump bags.

Now my wife has the "Master cardiology black edition" That when purchased was over $200

She is a medic, and is nuts about being able to hear every little thing.

Go to allheart.com to get yours. You can get a free student kit with your litman.
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 14:42   #10
KD5MSY

Thanks, everyone, so I guess littman is the only way to go.
be sure to check for my other question that will be posted shortly.
Old 02-06-2005, 15:02   #11
jlw_84
General Glocker

Littman Cardio for me.
jlw_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 17:58   #12
N2DFire
Who Me ???

Littman is Good but don't put the farm in hock to get the best of the best. Stay w/in your affordable range. If you plan to go beyond EMT then go up 1 notch over what you think you need now.

FYI - we have Littmans in our jump kits & I bought my g/f a Littman for Medic School. One of these days I'm going to get around to buying one for myself too (gotta stop buying gun stuff first *L*)
Big Dawg #1156, Black Rifle #20, GOTOD #3, Fire & EMS Talk #2302
N2DFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 23:31   #13
vbscout

I agree with everyone about going littman. The only thing that I can complain about them is the fact that sometimes they are too sensitive. I have had people tell me that they have been able to hear the cells breaking down glucose in the right pinky finger when you are trying to hear a BP in the left arm.

The only other advise I could give you is try out some and buy the one that you life (if you can afford it).
vbscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 16:58   #14
Tvov

Mrs. TVOV here. I work in a busy emergency department and for years swore by my (very expensive) Littman Master Cardiology. Then one day I laid it on a counter and it walked. Not having that kind of money to replace it, I got a Maxiscope by Ultrascope. I am very impressed with it. I can hear wonderfully regardless of the noise in the ED. It also had the added advantage of coming in screaming orange that will be very hard for anyone to 'accidentally' appropriate as theirs.(it also comes in other, more normal colors)
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 17:06   #15
Tvov

P.S. Mrs. Tvov wanted me to add that she forget to say that it was around $40.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 20:41   #16
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

My Littman took a walk without me several years ago. I have been using some cheapy thing for the last maybe ten years or so. I would never spend a wad of cash on a Littman again. The cheapy does the job just fine for me.
Old 02-07-2005, 23:10   #17
mdnky

Send a message via AIM to mdnky Send a message via Yahoo to mdnky
Litmann's are the best you can get, that's pretty much undebatable for most people. However, it may not necessarily be the best one to get for certain situations.

If you're prone to loosing/breaking things, a Littmann is probably not your best choice due to costs. If all you're doing is BPs and minor breathing, then you can get by without one.

I carried a double-tube sprague style one for many years that I bought in a kit while in EMT school. It worked great and was virtually indestructible, plus it included a cuff for around $30. We used the exact same stethoscope's on our Ambulances for that reason (indestructibility). Unfortunately mine was stolen (by Boy Scouts!...long story), else I'd still have it and she'd be almost 9 years old now.

When I was in medic school (around 02), I bought a Littmann Select and was very happy with it. It's in my POV jump-kit now. I am very careful with it however...it just 'feels' more delicate than the sprague's. I'd recommend this one for anyone doing field work as well as the slightly more expensive Classic II's (if you need a dual-bell). I was going to buy a Classic II, but procrastinated and ran out of time to run down to Galls in Lexington. Wound up paying $60 at a local pharmacy for the Select because they were out of Classic II's. Only difference I can tell is the lack of a double-bell, which I'm starting to prefer now.

The Cardiology III and Master Cardiology models are great for quiet places...like in a hospital...but in the back of the bus running down the highway they're not any better than the Select or Classic II's. You'll just hear every bump, vibration, expansion-joint, and pot hole that much better.

Best bet...try them out and use what works best for yourself given the costs and conditions.

Last edited by mdnky; 02-07-2005 at 23:13..
mdnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 13:15   #18
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally posted by DepChief
Check your right ear, it might be there!
Speak up, I can't hear you!
DaleGribble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 15:26   #19
KD5MSY

Thanks to every one who replied, took some time to think it over "aka... run it by the wife" and decided to go with the clasic II, it looks to be the middle of the road as far as price and value, preformance. and since i look to start EMT-I next fall or spring I figured I would get a good scope.

Thanks again to everyone that helped out.

Robert
Old 02-15-2005, 18:12   #20
Edge

I have the Littman 4000 shown here. http://www.3m.com/us/healthcare/prof...ml/index.jhtml

Frankly, it was overkill for my purposes and I somewhat regret its purchase (lots of $). It is really too expensive to leave laying around, risk leaving at scene, stepping on, or walking off. I went electronic because I have some hearing loss (too much time driving tractors and shooting guns without earmuffs) and just couldn't hear with a non-electronic one well enough to be confident for blood pressures or lung sounds. My nurses, who don't have hearing loss, were very impressed by it.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote