SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2005, 13:12   #1
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Can't activate my Windows XP.

When you first install Windows XP, there's a little key Icon in the taskbar next to the clock and every once in a while a little bubble pops up and says you have so many days left for activation. When I click on it, a screen comes up with a search browser hijack, so I can't activate it. I've got like 18 or 19 days left I think. Is there any other way to activate it besides clicking on the little key icon???

;g

;8 ;I
Old 02-12-2005, 18:23   #2
Jtemple
Geek

So, you haven't had your pc long enough for the trial period to expire and you're infected with a browser hijacker already?

Go here and download AdAware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10...age&tag=button

Go here and download Spybot Search & Destroy:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Get the latest updates for both pieces of software, and thoroughly scan your system with them.

Remove every single piece of spyware (critical or otherwise) that those two programs find.

Next, click here to download CWShredder:
http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

Run it (there is no installation) to clean your system of any CoolWebSearch hijackers.

After you're done with all of that, let us know if you can activate your Windows XP. Then, immediately get all of the latest Windows updates to help keep you from getting infected again.

After all of that, consider using Mozilla Firefox as your primary web browser. That will keep you from getting just about any kind of spyware infection that exists. You can get Firefox here:
http://www.mozilla.org/

If you still can't get Windows activated because of a browser hijacker, post here. I have some other tricks up my sleeve.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 18:24   #3
Jtemple
Geek

By the way, this thread belongs in Tech Talk. The Players Club is for gamers.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 18:18   #4
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Format again and reinstall. It's not worth it fighting through the adware if you just installed windows, IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 21:35   #5
hihoslva
\m/ (><) \m/

Quote:
Originally posted by waktasz
Format again and reinstall. It's not worth it fighting through the adware if you just installed windows, IMO.
Agreed.

However, I should add that it is best to run all spyware/virus software in safe mode. Especially stuff like AdAware.

In case you don't know how to get to safe mode - on startup, continually tap the F8 key, then choose "safe mode" from the menu that comes up. And yes, your graphics are supposed to look like that in safe mode...
hihoslva is offline   Reply With Quote