Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:28   #1
Slinger646
King of Sling

Send a message via AIM to Slinger646 Send a message via Yahoo to Slinger646
AM question

Guys,
At work, I've recently been listening to alot of AM stations. (same old crap on FM) Is it uncommon for me to pick up stations from Chicago, Toronto, NYC, Ohio, Detroit, etc. in Central Virginia? I personally enjoy 650 WSM..nothing beats the old country.
Thanks for any info;c ;c ;c

Yeah, well I also have 2 toilets and 1 ass, what's it to ya??
Slinger646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:38   #2
k2ue

Re: AM question

Quote:
Originally posted by Slinger646
Guys,
At work, I've recently been listening to alot of AM stations. (same old crap on FM) Is it uncommon for me to pick up stations from Chicago, Toronto, NYC, Ohio, Detroit, etc. in Central Virginia? I personally enjoy 650 WSM..nothing beats the old country.
Thanks for any info;c ;c ;c
AM stations, and especially 50,000 watt "clear channel" stations (no one else on that frequency in their region) usually re-orient their antennas at night (change the phasing on parts of the array) so as to maintain non-interference as well as possible with the changed post-sundown propagation at AM broadcast frequencies. My Dad is from West Virginia and back in the 50's we spent fascinating nights in Western NY listening to WWVA Wheeling, WV giving me an appreciation for the music and culture of Appalachia. My taste for Country Music today probably dates from those lilting sounds late at night.
k2ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:49   #3
EUPHER49

I remember as a young lad in PA that I could listen to many stations that were DX. From there I could pick up, WKBW Buffalo, CKLW Windsor ON, WBZ Boston
WSN Nashville, WLS Chicago, and others. In the winter I could get a station out of OK City, OK and Wolfman Jack's station from Del Rio, TX.

The AM band is located only 1 MHz below the 160m ham band. Its propagation is similar. During the day these waves are absorbed by the D ionization layer. At night the D layer goes away with the disappearance of the sun, as does the E layer but sometime later and the band "goes long" with waves bouncing ("skipping") off the F layer. That continues until predawn hours when the E layer reforms and after the sun is up, the D layer. The Winter season is better for DX in this band because atmosperic noise is less than in Summer. (T-storms and such)

Yes these stations transmit using lots of power, but what is amazing is that one can hear European hams on 160m during the Winter using considerably less power.

Radio is truly a fascinating, and complex subject, I wish I knew more.

-- E. F. Nine
EUPHER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:01   #4
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
When I was 15 years old, I worked for WBGS in Slidell, LA on 1560 KHz daytime with 1,000 watts. In 1965, Hurricane Betsy came through, and all the New Orleans stations were knocked off the air. We stayed on at night because of the emergency, and the dominant station on the frequency at the time, WQXR in New York, signed off at midnight to give us a clear frequency to carry emergency messages of our own and for New Orleans until a station could be gotten up and running there.

We even got a card from Australia!

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote