obxprnstar
Goth Lover

Physical Assessment Challenge

My dept has decided to start this.
(see below)

RED TAG
Physical Assessment Challenge

PURPOSE:
The annual challenge is to insure that Red Tag Firefighters are physical able to perform the functions of a Red Tag Firefighter without injury to themselves or others.

UNIFORM:
The uniform for the physical challenge will be full turn out gear with SCBA. The participants will be on air during a set portion of the challenge.

TIME REQUIREMENT FOR MAINTAINING A RED TAG:
When the participant is required to on air the participant must complete the required tasks in the amount of a SCBA bottle filled to 40 PSI.

COURSE AND TAKS:

1. The participant will drag 5 inch hose with the humat attached from the hose bed of an apparatus 50 feet to a hydrant. The participant will completely open the hydrant and then shut it off. The water will be directed by a 2 inch hose to a remote location.
2. The participant will attach the humat to the hydrant. The participant will then go on air.
3. The participant will carry a high rise pack (200 ft of 1 ) 200 ft, through marked course.
4. The participant will walk up and down a flight of stairs, using each step, next to the fire station four times with a tool.
5. The participant will advance a 1 inch hose line of 200 ft charged at 115 PSI. The hose will then be charged and advanced to a designated point of 100 ft. The participant will open the nozzle and hit a target.
6. The participant will then raise and tie off the halyard of a 24 ft ground ladder, to the second to the top rung, with the help of a safety stabilizing the ladder. Participant will place the ladder at the proper climbing angle. Participant will climb the ladder with a tool to designated rung, were the ladder has double rungs, and ascend back down, with the safety footing the ladder. The participant will then lower the ladder with the help of the safety stabilizing the ladder.
7. The participant will use a sledgehammer to hit and move the object (cut 6x 6) to the distance of 9 ft.
8. The participant will walk to start finish line and dress down. The SCBA will be inspected to see the amount of air left, in PSI, in the SCBA bottle.
9. End of Physical Assessment Challenge
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 17:17   #2
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

I was just dicussing this with another dept/GT member via IM. His quote concerning one member of the dept

"So and so would pass the alcatraz triathalon on SCBA and in complete turnout gear (swimming and all) acording to the official record, but there would be no witnesses"

This one guy, who is a paid shift worker, has a 52 inch waist and gets winded walking up the steps of the station in the morning.
-Isaiah 6.8
Old 02-18-2005, 17:23   #3
Squid.HM2

I ran out of air just reading this ;g

A cigar is a wonderful tool,it gives a wise man time to think,and a fool something to stick in his mouth
Squid.HM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 22:56   #4
aspartz

Re: Physical Assessment Challenge

Quote:
Originally posted by obxprnstar
...The participants will be on air during a set portion of the challenge
When the participant is required to on air the participant must complete the required tasks in the amount of a SCBA bottle filled to 40 PSI.
Errr.. 40PSI??? That's off the low side of the scale on the 2216 psi tanks we use.

ARS
Old 02-18-2005, 23:16   #5
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

I hope that was a typo, meqaning 4k psi
-Isaiah 6.8
Old 02-25-2005, 17:23   #6
mgraff

Seems easy enough... I think Physical assessments are a great job requirement..allows you to know what the level of fitness is, for the people you/ and the public count on.
We do 2 a year in the spring we run the CCT job requirement to pass it in under 7 mins., which is forever I think but some guys are into the 6 min times. Then in the fall, we do a physical assessment, 1.5 mile run under 12 mins( I live at 5500'), 35 pushups min, 35 situps min, sit and reach, grip strength, and my down fall...body comp/ body fat %. I worked as a seasonal wildland firefighter prior to working at a municiple fire dept, we had our P.A. there too. I think ALL depts, paid, vol, combination, whatever they be, should have a fitness requirement!
Your chief officers need to lay some policy groundwork as to what the failure policy is...we do a re-test,if they then fail, then send them to days with a trainer/ fitness coordinator(6 weeks I think). Then re-test, and so on, and.... the final is firing if you are unable to meet the minimum requirement on the CCT. The timeline and consequences are spelled out in the policy book.
mgraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 22:09   #7
oldstyle
Jeep Pirate

It does sound like a good idea to keep some physical standards, but I would like to ad that the old salty guys offer a wealth of knowledge that makes up for other shortcomings. A dumb slug is useless but I would hate to see a worthy veteran pulled off the street over an agility test.

We all need to stay fit and able. Heck, yesterday I had to run 1/4 mile bunkered out plus three hours at the scene (MVA). It was the most physical day I've had in a while. ;g