Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2005, 00:31   #1
emt1581
Curious Member

How old were you and why...when you began carrying?

My girlfriend and I have been shooting together for years. She's not a sharp shooter but could definitly hit center mass if push came to shove.

However, I am running into a little dillema. I am not comfortable with her carrying a Glock 19 chambered in her purse without a holster, even in a separate compartment. Is there a particular holster that attaches with velcro or something to the inside of a purse?

She is fairly young. I'm curious how old yall were when you started carrying? Also, what was the reason you started to carry? Not looking for a detailed explanation for the reason. Just a one liner will do. Was it just because you could? Was it due to a threat you faced??

Thanks!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:06   #2
MrsKey

Re: How old were you and why...when you began carrying?

Quote:
Originally posted by emt1581
My girlfriend and I have been shooting together for years. She's not a sharp shooter but could definitly hit center mass if push came to shove.

However, I am running into a little dillema. I am not comfortable with her carrying a Glock 19 chambered in her purse without a holster, even in a separate compartment. Is there a particular holster that attaches with velcro or something to the inside of a purse?
My 2 cents here. If she is going to go to the expense of getting a CCW and carry and she wants to carry in a purse then she needs to buy a carry purse.

Coronado Leather makes excellent quality purses with a variety of different holsters that velcro very securely into a special compartment that has a locking zipper.

No chance of reaching accidentally into the wrong compartment and pulling out your gun rather than your wallet or lipstick.

Quote:
She is fairly young. I'm curious how old yall were when you started carrying? Also, what was the reason you started to carry? Not looking for a detailed explanation for the reason. Just a one liner will do. Was it just because you could? Was it due to a threat you faced??
35. I took the CCW class just two days before my 35th birthday.

Why did I start carrying? Because I finally realized that my life and the life of my child are far more important than the lives of some scum bag.

A woman and her guns ... It's a beautiful thing!
MrsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:26   #3
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

EMT

I started carrying in 1999 when I was 28. I carry the G19 and refuse to use a purse--I carry on my person.

I started after the incident described in a thread below. A man tried to get into the car with me.

SG
SouthernGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:27   #4
Glockgirl26

I started carrying as soon as I graduated the police academy at the age of 26. I'm 28 now. I started carrying partly because I could ;f ,partly because of an incident with a biker gang, and partly just for the security of it.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:52   #5
emt1581
Curious Member

Thansk for the replies.

So there isn't a holster that can be attached to a normal purse? I don't have a problem with buying her a carry purse, but they look big and are not all that fashionable

I'd really like to just buy a holster that can be attached. She wears pretty tight clothing, so IWB or other cary methods on her person aren't going to work.

Thanks again and keep the replies coming.

-Emt1581
Old 02-21-2005, 11:56   #6
Jaegergirl
Proud2BAmerican

i've only been a gun hobbiest for a little over a year now. i do not have my ccw yet but plan on getting it eventually. my interest in guns started when ohio passed the ccw law last year.

i wanted a gun for personal protection. it's a scary world we live in these days and i wanted to be able to protect myself and my kids since my husband can't be with us 24/7. also, i have a not so nice ex-husband so having a gun gives me some piece of mind.
Ohio Glockers #68
In memory of my brother, Rick www.homefree1996.com.
Proud parent of a Young Marine. www.glcyoungmarines.org
Jaegergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 15:58   #7
MrsKey

Quote:
Thansk for the replies.

So there isn't a holster that can be attached to a normal purse? I don't have a problem with buying her a carry purse, but they look big and are not all that fashionable

I'd really like to just buy a holster that can be attached. She wears pretty tight clothing, so IWB or other cary methods on her person aren't going to work.

Thanks again and keep the replies coming.

-Emt1581
First -

Carry on your person is ideal. Carry in a purse ... not so much ... but better than nothing.

If she really wants to carry then she may have to adjust her clothing to accomodate her personal safety. If she isn't willing to do that then perhaps she isn't really serious about carrying.

As for the carry purses - depending on what she is planning to carry - there are a lot of very fashionable purses. Coronado Leather sells the best.

Again - carrying on your person is ideal (though not always practical or possible) but if she's going to carry in a purse then she should carry in a purse specifically designed for that purpose.

Just sliding a holster into a regular purse can cause some problems that you'd have to do a lot of work to correct and overcome. Why recreate the wheel when it has already been done.

Old 02-21-2005, 16:38   #8
Cat91
Red Tabby

I was 28 and had transferred to Ft. Lauderdale as a probation officer. We weren't supposed to carry at all. That's insane. I was all alone down there. So I did.

Never really got out of the habit. I had a 4" Python or an early Glock 19 within arm's length 24/7 for eight years. Sold them when I started law school and went through a couple of tinyguns...a Bernardelli USA-9, an early Smith model 60, a weird .32 ACP Makarov knockoff...finally chucked all of them but the Bernardelli for about two years.

I didn't feel good about that Bernardelli. It had two safeties and it took too long to get ready to shoot. And it bit me when I fired it. Bad geometry in the grip. Hubby and some law enfrocement friends were after me to upsize. Tried a Glock 23 and an FN FNP-9. I don't like auto-pistols. Back in the day I only carried the 19 when it was too hot to carry the Colt out of sight or I felt my purse getting too heavy.

Sooo...S&W to the rescue. And then I got another Colt, this time an old Det. Special we're having refurbished.

Miao, Cat
Cat91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 21:29   #9
pete1953

My wife doesn't carry as much as I wish she did. I guess she feels that when she is with me, I can carry my two guns and give her one if need be. The purse she carries is set up for carry, she just doesn't want the extra pound plus. When she does carry, it is my S&W 642, not her Ruger SP101 (less weight). I can say from personal experience, she has to pick out the purse herself and like it otherwise she won't use it. (Just like picking a gun.)I'd like it if she carried more often, even with me, that way she can defend and back me up if necessary instead of me having to pass her a gun. (I know, carry three!)
Married 31 years, wonderful wife & two daughters = all shooters. Believe in family, honor, love & respect. PaGlockers117;BigDawg1381;565=1911;Blade;Rim;Moto;Wheel;S&W;36;Survival;TriState;GOTOD; NRA,GOA,SAS,VCDL,ANJRPC,FallsTwpRifle&Pistol
pete1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 00:57   #10
emt1581
Curious Member

I wish there was a carry purse out there that was to my gf's liking. But yall have to admit they do look rather frumpy.

She's not the type to wear blazers or suits. Hiphuggers and a tank top are her typical atire. Doesn't leave much room for a holster or concealment.

As for changing her ways...it's not practical or probable. It's not a matter of her not feeling it's important to carry. We've discussed her carrying my G19 on more than one occasion. She keeps reminding me of it as well. However, until I find her a good holster I'm not comfortable lending it to her.

There is always the option of carrying unchambered without a holster, but I don't think that's the wisest choice.

Are there ANY ideas for a decent holster for purse carry???

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Old 02-22-2005, 01:37   #11
emt1581
Curious Member

http://www.coronadoleather.com/view.aspx?c=4&i=119

What do yall think about this holster? For a G19 it says I should get the large.

I figure either she or I can sew a THICK velcro patch to the inside of her purse in one of the infinate compartments. The purse can change (as it usually does) from year to year and we can just transfer the holster from purse to purse.

It has a "Pull-Through" retention tab which allows the gun to be secured in the holster, but also allows for simple, no snap, drawing.

Personally, I think it's a great idea, but I'm anxious to hear what you have to say. Anyone having experience with this holster or any of Coronado's rig, please share your opinion.

The only thing that still worries me a bit is that the holster looks kinda soft, which would not completely prevent the possibility of an accidental discharge...or am I being a worry wart?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Old 02-22-2005, 01:58   #12
jlw_84
General Glocker

Started when I was 21. As soon as I could. Which, worked out good, becuase thats when Ohio passed the concealed carry law.

Also, my GF wants a CHL, so we will be looking at options for her in the near future.
jlw_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:01   #13
MrsKey

Quote:
http://www.coronadoleather.com/view.aspx?c=4&i=119

What do yall think about this holster? For a G19 it says I should get the large.
Let me get this straight - she won't carry a true carry purse because they look "frumpy" but she's going to try to carry a G19?!?!

Regular purses aren't designed for carrying a weapon. Period. Their straps are thin so the weight of the gun will cause it to dig in. Most of them don't have a dedicated area for keeping the gun concealed. Which means that you run the risk of getting your other belongings mixed up with your gun. They have no way of securing the pocket that the gun is kept in - which makes it easier for the gun to be lifted from your purse if you aren't keeping an eye on it. The leather or other materials are thinner which means printing which means being made.

It just isn't a good idea.

Quote:
Personally, I think it's a great idea, but I'm anxious to hear what you have to say. Anyone having experience with this holster or any of Coronado's rig, please share your opinion.
Personally I think it is a lousy idea. I carry a Coronado Leather Alpine Classic and it is a great purse. The locking concealment pouch is great. It looks good. It is a high quality leather that is worth drooling over. Nothing prints. I have a comfortable, easy and fast cross draw (which I wouldn't have in a top access only pocket like those found on most non-carry purses).

Quote:
The only thing that still worries me a bit is that the holster looks kinda soft, which would not completely prevent the possibility of an accidental discharge...or am I being a worry wart?
It looks that way because it is designed to be used in a Coronado Leather carry purse or vest/jacket. These carry compartments have heavy duty velcro on BOTH sides of the carry compartment to add stability and firmness to the holster.

If you use them in ways not intended by the manufacturer then you may well have issues/problems.

Quote:
I wish there was a carry purse out there that was to my gf's liking. But yall have to admit they do look rather frumpy.
Again sometimes we have to compromise a bit for our personal safety. If she isn't willing to make those compromises then she isn't serious about carrying and is most likely just contemplating the idea to appease you.

Quote:
She's not the type to wear blazers or suits. Hiphuggers and a tank top are her typical atire. Doesn't leave much room for a holster or concealment.
Again - compromise is necessary. See above.

Quote:
As for changing her ways...it's not practical or probable. It's not a matter of her not feeling it's important to carry.

Bull ... ahem ... if she's serious about self-defense and carrying a weapon, and I mean really serious, she'll make whatever adjustments are necessary to do it.

Quote:
There is always the option of carrying unchambered without a holster, but I don't think that's the wisest choice.
Gee, ya think?!?! ;Q

Quote:
Are there ANY ideas for a decent holster for purse carry???
We've given you ideas and you keep shooting them down.

You (or she, but I'm betting you) are dead set on her carrying without making any compromises in her lifestyle to accomodate carrying a weapon.

Fine.

But what you're looking for here is for women who do carry and who have made adjustments and compromises to make CCW work safely and effectively to tell you that it is okay to use half measures.

So do whatever you're going to do anyway - but don't try to make it seem like we're not giving you advice. We have. You just keep ignoring it.

One last time ... Carry on your person is the ideal method of carry. Everything else runs a very distant second. But if you are going to carry a gun and it isn't going to be on your person (i.e. in your full control at all times) then you should, at the very least carry the gun in a purse, backpack or fanny pack that is designed for concealed carry. Period.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:32   #14
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsKey
One last time ... Carry on your person is the ideal method of carry. Everything else runs a very distant second. But if you are going to carry a gun and it isn't going to be on your person (i.e. in your full control at all times) then you should, at the very least carry the gun in a purse, backpack or fanny pack that is designed for concealed carry. Period.
Or a "day planner"
Old 02-22-2005, 08:53   #15
MrsKey

Quote:
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Or a "day planner"
I always forget about the planners for carry. I always think they look a little inconvenient. And I use my Palm Pilot pretty exclusively and I don't think I can fit a gun in my Palm case! ;a

Old 02-22-2005, 11:14   #16
emt1581
Curious Member

Mrs Key-

No need to flame, I wasn't trying to be rude about your suggestions.

Miss Kitty-

You, maam, may have something there

She carries her books everywhere she goes. And even if she went somewhere without her books, setting her day planner on her front seat or in the glove box doesn't look suspicious in my opinion.

The only problem I think she'd run into is going somewhere, like a party or out to dinner. That'd look mighty shady walking around with a day planner.

Maybe we can look at purses and day planners together Then I'll know what's up for sure.

Thanks. And despite what some may think, I DO appreciate the replies.

-Emt1581
Old 02-22-2005, 12:01   #17
MrsKey

Quote:
Mrs Key-

No need to flame, I wasn't trying to be rude about your suggestions.
I'm not flaming. I promise.

But the plain fact is that in order to carry a concealed weapon we ladies have to make adjustements and compromises in order to do it legally and safely.

My biggest concern about the day planner idea is that they are even less under your control than a purse. Much easier to leave behind or loose. Much easier to loose control of. Much easier to be disarmed.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:34   #18
MrsKitty

I have carried a G23 in a day planner in places nobody would believe before ;f

I paid about $30 for mine--it doesn't have the actual planner in it. I didn't want it to get in the way when push come to shove. Later, I will try to find you a link from where I ordered if you would like. Some people have also bought regular ones and dumped the contents to replace it with a holster/foam.

I think Shoeless uses a dayplanner too, but not positive about it. You might want to ask one of us any questions you may have.

Oh, and don't call me maam ;e
Old 02-22-2005, 15:30   #19
reinbeau

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsKey
I always forget about the planners for carry. I always think they look a little inconvenient. And I use my Palm Pilot pretty exclusively and I don't think I can fit a gun in my Palm case! ;a
I hear ya. My iQue has its own nice leather case, no way to fit the G23 in there

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Glock Model 23, Walther PPKS .380
reinbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 23:24   #20
emt1581
Curious Member

Thanks for the replies

Just an update. We had a little chat about her carrying and I told her that I want to see her ability to nail a target at different distances during at least 2 range visits. Up until now we have been shooting at tin cans and other random stuff, so I just want to make sure that she can hit center mass out to around 20yrds. I also said I want to look at purses with her online that are specially made to carry. Much to my surprise she was totally fine with it and eager to look. Fooled the hell out of me!

I told her I have no reservation about her safe handling of the gun, because of how safe she is at the range and any other time we're cleaning or whatever with the guns. I just want to make sure she's not given the equipment and then unable to use it in a defense situation correctly. I know that no one can really say what a defense situation is like till they're in one, but shooting IDPA, I figure I can set up a few stages and see how she does.

I also plan on educating her as to when she can and cannot use the gun in defense. I've studied such laws in my state and they are pretty cut and dry so it's not overly technical.

Just wanted to thank yall for your advice ^c

Oh also, is there any other reputable purse/holster makers aside from Coronado? When dealing with coronado, is there any holster that is not "old-lady-like" and pretty decent in the fashion and SIZE department? Any differences in the simplicity/accessability between each of the purses??

Thanks again!

-Emt1581
Old 02-23-2005, 04:07   #21
reinbeau

Here are a few:

Passport

Galco (sorry, this one won't 'keep' the search, look on the left-hand side and click on Gun Purses).

CW Cases

GlockStore (this one is small, kinda cute if you're into small purses)

Just a few to get you started

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty or Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Glock Model 23, Walther PPKS .380
reinbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:15   #22
MrsKey

Quote:
Up until now we have been shooting at tin cans and other random stuff, so I just want to make sure that she can hit center mass out to around 20yrds.

-Emt1581
Just out of curiosity ... why 20 yards? 60 feet is a pretty long shot and far outside of the range used for self-defense.

For target practice I will use my 22/45, 1911 and PT99 for 15+ yard shooting.

But when I am drilling with my carry weapon I don't usually exceed 10 yards. Anyone more than 30 feet away is generally too far away to be considered an "imminent" danger and definetly too far for reliably accurate shooting with a shorter barrelled gun.

CCW drilling, for me, is all close drill, center of mass and no-sighting shooting.

So is there a reasoning behind your 20 yard requirement or just a random distance?

Old 02-23-2005, 17:03   #23
emt1581
Curious Member

DOH!!! I meant feet. I thought 20yds sounded a bit far.

I usually consider 20 FEET to be the typical MAXIMUM distance of a defensive shootout. It's also a space that can be covered in a few seconds, giving the victim VERY little time to react if the target advances.

Nothing is ever set in stone, but generally, a threat that is more than 20 FEET away, especially by a knife or multiple unarmed attackers, does not present adequate conditions to use deadly force. Most often the prosecution will nail you for not attempting to escape the situation, which turns you into the criminal, for defending yourself.

That's my personal resoning for maintaining sufficient center mass accurcy to at least 20...FEET.

reinbeau-

Thanks for the links!

-Emt1581
Old 02-24-2005, 07:04   #24
MrsKey

Quote:
DOH!!! I meant feet. I thought 20yds sounded a bit far.

I usually consider 20 FEET to be the typical MAXIMUM distance of a defensive shootout. It's also a space that can be covered in a few seconds, giving the victim VERY little time to react if the target advances.

-Emt1581
Ahhhh ... that makes more sense! Thanks for clarifying. I thought 20 yrds seemed a bit "out there".

Old 02-24-2005, 10:15   #25
ubimow

I have been carrying for eleven years...started when I was 21. I have had many different guns and carried just about every way possible. Something you could do is have your girlfriend find a good purse that she likes, something with a sturdy strap and a seperate compartment that will just be used for the gun. (and easy access to this compartment) Then buy a cheap holster like one of those soft Uncle Mike's holsters and either sew it or velcro it inside of the compartment. I have done this with a couple of purses and they have worked great.