SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2005, 22:04   #1
Slinger646
King of Sling

Red Truck O' Death

We have this truck, see and it was desgined by a group of retards before my time, It is an 2000 F-350 with a F-550 Load on it. Way overloaded, with street tires, no agressive tread whatsoever. It has low hanging boxes which reduce the clearence to zilch and once you get it going, its hard to stop. Anyone else have somthing similar in their house?Firefighter/EMS Talk

Yeah, well I also have 2 toilets and 1 ass, what's it to ya??
Slinger646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 22:18   #2
oldstyle
Jeep Pirate

Not THAT bad but our brush trucks are service body F-450 duallies with towing mirrors and a booster reel mounted way up on top. IF it FITS in the woods, you WILL catch the booster on a limb, vine, etc and knock it OFF. We might as well take an engine. Did I mention they spend about $50,000 for a truck to dent up and stick in the woods? Those service bodies get a beating!
Old 02-28-2005, 22:49   #3
geminicricket
NRA Life member

The local FD has a H1 that they don't even use. It was supposed to be for some kind of off-road emergencies, but then the town got built out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:58   #4
jlw_84
General Glocker

We've got an old tanker, underpowered, unreliable, brakes dont really work, you have to downshift until you get slowed down enough then just hit the parking brakes and hold on.

The water tank leaks because of all the rust holes. All the baffels swim around on the inside as they have broken free.

Its fancy;g
jlw_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:24   #5
N2DFire
Who Me ???

Re: Red Truck O' Death

Quote:
Originally posted by Slinger646
Anyone else have somthing similar in their house?
\

Yea - The Beast.
Firefighter/EMS Talk

Similar deal F550+ loading on a F-Super Duty (Pre F450) chassis. Has had a suspension upgrade from the local spring works (the most they would put under it & still stand by the work) as well as an heavy duty shock upgrade - still sways like a palm tree in a hurricane. Not enough power to get out of it's own way and once you get it rolling it takes a 40 acre field and a turning plow to get it stopped.

(Can you tell I LOVE this thing?)

As for brush trucks, we have this
Firefighter/EMS Talk

It was all we could afford at the time (and it works pretty good too) but I'd like to go back now and pull the truck bed off and put on a flat bed with a couple of cheap storage (tool) boxes but I doubt I could convince the dept. to do it.
Big Dawg #1156, Black Rifle #20, GOTOD #3, Fire & EMS Talk #2302
N2DFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:18   #6
TerraMedicX

Quote:
Originally posted by geminicricket
The local FD has a H1 that they don't even use. It was supposed to be for some kind of off-road emergencies, but then the town got built out.
One of our local departments also has an Hummer for a brush truck...ofcorse, then they found out that it was too wide for the majority of the forest service roads that they needed to take it on!

As for my department, we have one beast of a tender (as opposed to a tanker that flies in the air! ) that only two people on the entire department can even drive (1986 International, sorry no pic), and a rescue truck thats circa 1984 (Chevy 4x4 one ton, see pic below) and barely runs anymore...but since our board is so *******ing tight fisted with the money, we haven't been able to replace the rescue...even though we got a $20000 grant last year to help with this! Oh well, what can you do?

Firefighter/EMS Talk
Old 03-01-2005, 19:59   #7
aspartz

When I joined the Vol FD here they had 2 tankers -- tenders to you folks in the DNR.

Both were F-800, gas, 5/2 trannys, hyd. brakes. The brake linings lasted about a year. Retired propane trucks that we put out 2K gallon SS tanks on the bare chassis.

Out of curiosity, I checked the cab stickers. Hmmm -- 21000 GVW. 7 front, 14 rear. It turns out that the propane folks had REMOVED leaves from the rear springs because "propane is light". Hmmm -- lets do some math -- 2000 gal/water * 8 lbs/gal = 16000 lbs of just water...

When actually put on scales, the trucks had 24K on the rears alone.

Both have now been retired and FL-70's have taken their place!!!

ARS
Old 03-02-2005, 21:04   #8
JellyBelly
Meat Popsicle

Quote:
Originally posted by geminicricket
I bet it looks GREAT in parades, though!
JellyBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:19   #9
KY Moose

Yeah, one agency I was with has a 1977 E-One on a GMC Sierra 6500 chassi. It has a gas engine, 750 GPM pump and 500 gallon booster tank. Here's a link to the beast. http://cfd41129.tripod.com/engine4.JPG

When I first started with them, it was first out on everything. It's so underpowered it's not even funny. Good thing was that it was replaced in the early 90's with a 1500 GPM Pierce Dash.
KY Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 18:34   #10
DepChief
Get Tous's Rope

Send a message via Yahoo to DepChief

Quote:
Originally posted by TerraMedicX

Firefighter/EMS Talk

Just curious, is that a fire station in the background? I see the words "Fire Department", but I dont see any bays.
DepChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 21:14   #11
TerraMedicX

Yup! That's our ONLY fire station! It has an about 50'x20' training room and then four truck bays heading back away from the front. We would LOVE to have a nicer station, but that's another thing that our board does not seem to think we need.

Nate.