Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2005, 17:56   #1
DaisyCutter

She touched me. Need some opinions.

I was leaving the motorcycle dealer today after buying silencer packing and a plug for my beloved 2001 CR500, and on the way out something caught my eye.

It was one of the only two motorcycles that I ever would consider owning (due to finances and personal tastes).

It was a Kawasaki ZRX1200. She was painted red, and as I flipped the tag over, it said $4999. WTF, I was ready to buy it right there as MSRP is $8000+.

Then I see that it's a 2002 model. The bike is truly in showroom shape. It would easily pass for new (it fooled me). No scratches on the silencer, bar-ends, or paint/plastic... And a total of 6300 miles.

I've never owned a street bike. I want something big and torquey, something that looks mean (I also fawn over the Honda 919).

I've never seen a 919 or ZRX1200 used/for sale before.

I'm also the first person to say, "never to buy at a dealer". I worked at one for 1.5 years in highschool. Let's just say "screw-me central".

But this deal looks legitimately good. Maybe it's a "soft market" bike, and hard to sell?

I sat on it for 20 minutes. I called and checked insurance prices ($39.50/month). What should I do? For $5K, It's not like I'd be married to it for long. Should I low-ball the dealer, if they give me the deal, then it's fate?

This bike would be strickly for putting around the neighborhood. No commuting. It would be covered in the garage, and I'd spend more time polishing/tinkering with it than riding it. Also, FWIW I'm a skilled desert rider.

I don't know why, but I have no real desire to own any other streetbike. And $8000+fees for a new one always made my choke.

WTF, am I sick? I'm 27yo, an engineer, and very logical. I know I don't "need" this bike, and I get fulfillment from my dirt scooter.

But being around this bike, is like being a junkie locked in a room with a crack-pipe. I'm shaking right now.

Edited:
Note, my mention of the ZRX1200 in this thread.
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=327073

Last edited by DaisyCutter; 03-03-2005 at 18:02..
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 20:30   #2
gixxer11
bbrrraaapppppp!

Don't lie to yourself, man. You'd ride the hell out of that bike! ZRXs are sweet bikes, how could you confine yourself and your bike to the neighborhood? It sounds like you do "need" it. Just imagine how great it would be to ride the CR in the morning/afternoon, then go watch the sunset on the Z-rex! What a day, and you could do that when ever you want. Worth every penny at that price. Go for it!!!!
#1340 10mm Reloading & 10 Ring member
gixxer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 21:57   #3
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

If I saw one like that at that price I would go home and start finding stuff to ebay off to get it. I hear nothing but great stuff about them. Personally I LOVE the swingarm on it. The tubular braced look is sweet. Since you are an experienced dirt rider, you wouldn't have any trouble getting used to it. Plus there is one thing this can do that your CR can't. That thing is 150mph. It always good to experience all sides of a sport you love. And if I were you I WOULD commute on it as much as possible. You said you are logical guy. Well, it gets much better gas milage than your car. There, now you have a good reason to go get it.

BTW I have been through AZ and NM and such, trust me you live in an area that is pretty much streetbike heaven. Twisty mountain roads if you want them, desolate 2 lane, empty as far as the eye can see, top speed blast roads, if you want them. Also it doesn't snow (or at least it shouldn't) and stays warm almost all year long. How could a streetbike not be a good thing there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by epsylum; 03-04-2005 at 22:03..
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 23:17   #4
hank327

Get The Rex!!!

The ZRX-1200R is a great bike. It is not the very best at any one thing, but it is very good at everything you can ask of a streetbike.
I have a 2001 faster green one that I bought new in 2001. It has right at 23,000 miles on her, and I have only had to do the scheduled maintaince on her. The Rex is just about bullet-proof in it's reliabilty.

A good pilot on a Rex will shame most guys on a modern sportbike. You can putt around the neighborhood in comfort. Sport-touring with soft luggage is a blast. There is a huge storage compartment under the seat that will almost hold a six-pack (Dr.Pepper of course) or a loaf of bread.

Also one of the best owner association web-sites around.

http://zrxoa.org/forums//

The folks there will gladly answer any questions you may have concerning the Rex.
hank327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 23:53   #5
DaisyCutter

Well, I went to the dealer today to get a mudflap/cow-tongue for my CR500.

They were sold out. ??? :'(

So I went out to say "hi" to the ZRX1200R.

I looked everywhere outside, where the used bikes are... Nothing. ???

I looked everywhere inside... Nothing ???

I was getting scared now.

So I find the salesman I was talking to last night.

"Where's the ZRX... Is it sold?"

His reply... "One of the lot techs was putting around and wadded it up. He was pulling around back and dumped it near the gravel pit."

I was devastated. My knees went weak. I look up and say, "Well, I could've done that much myself."

I was ready to cry. Such a fine piece of machinery, wasted.

I stayed and talked to "Jeff" for a while. He told me he had a Bandit 1200 for sale. I looked at it, but it wasn't the ZRX. It did nothing for me. We BS'ed for another half-hour before I left. Maybe it was fate.

I ended up caling a few friends and telling them what happened. I got a lot of bewildered responses.

When I got home, my wife said I looked sad. Well N/S I'm sad.

At that point, it was time to go to a tax appointment. She hands me the baby and I head out into the garage.

As I step outside I'm shocked. THERE IT IS! I would've been less surprised to see the Virgin Mary.

My wife says I turned ghost white (A few shades whiter, even for me). I started shaking.... I touched it. It was really there.

She had bought it for me. The story was her idea of a gag.

Here's the pics:

Moto Club

Moto Club

Moto Club

Moto Club

She was VERY proud of herself. What a wife. BTW, she's taking applications for future husbands after I'm gone. (She'll have plenty of money after she collects the life insurance.)
Old 03-05-2005, 02:22   #6
gixxer11
bbrrraaapppppp!

ALRIGHT! That's great, I'm very excited for you. Your gonna LOVE it! Keep us updated after you ride it some, to tell us what you think. Make sure you take the wife for some well deserved rides, at least! Enjoy.
#1340 10mm Reloading & 10 Ring member
gixxer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:29   #7
modgun
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

OMG!

You are planning breakfast in bed in the morning or something equally nice, RIGHT?

Oh and put my application at the top of the pile, please.

SWEEEEEET bike man, you are lucky.
modgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:21   #8
hank327

Congragulations on the new bike! I'm sure you will enjoy her. You are married to a very special girl. She just proved it by buying you the Rex. Now if I could find one just like her! LOL
hank327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:52   #9
DaisyCutter

Quote:
Originally posted by modgun
OMG!

You are planning breakfast in bed in the morning or something equally nice, RIGHT?
Last night I gave her a $5000 massage.
Old 03-05-2005, 16:59   #10
Wetrudgeon

Daisy:

Most foolish men live their entire lives without ever experiencing a bike like the ZRX1200; or a woman like yours. We promised ourselves we would not cry as we scribed this...

We trudge on (deeply moved).
Wetrudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:35   #11
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

SWEEEEEET.

That thing is really clean. Killer deal you/your wife got. It's got all the class and style of a Z1R, but with a modern engine and chasis. Now just get up extra early before work every day and take "the long way" to work on it. You'll be a bit more stress-free after that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:31   #12
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Daisycutter,

Your wife has a sister? What an awesome woman! What an awesome bike! You're one lucky dude.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:01   #13
p5pilot

Your WIFE bought that bike for you????

Well, are you SURE you deserved it, or does she have an insurance policy on you that you aren't aware of?

I'm JOKING...that is AWESOME...congrats!!!!

;z
Old 03-10-2005, 21:55   #14
WERA49

What a cool story! I called my wife into the computer room to show her this thread. (hint, hint Last night, I told her that I want a Suzuki RG500 Gamma)

ZRX's are neat bikes. I love the look. There are plenty of tweaks for those that like to tinker. They are very comfortable.
Old 03-17-2005, 18:50   #15
USMC79to83

What a great thread!!

Your ZRX looks very clean and I sincerely hope you enjoy the heck out of it. My recent experience is just the oposite of yours...I've been riding street bikes for years and just got back into dirt bikes (after 20 years!)

I have an '03 ZRX 1200 in Blue and It's one of the world's perfect bikes (IMHO)!

Here's some stuff to look for:

1) Be sure the rear axle eccentric and pinch bolts are well lubed. Kawasaki is pretty stingy with grease at the factory and the bolts especially have a tendency to seize in the swingarm.

2) Do the same for steering head bngs and front axle.

3) Add a set of "case guards" to protect the engine cases from a parking lot tip-over.

4) The stock tires are hard as a rock, consider a more sporty set of tires for better front-end feel and confidence.

5) Check out the "Glock-Talk" of the ZRX world at: http://zrxoa.org/

Best!
Old 03-17-2005, 21:44   #16
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

What a wonderful woman; you are the envy of many, many males.
^c

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:53   #17
quinch
Turgid Member

That's a nice matched set!

Your wife is one hell of a woman.
quinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:18   #18
norton

When I was 21 years old, and married for less then 6 months, I told my wife one evening before going to bed I had always wanted a motorcycle.
She said well, why don't you buy one?
Many years and more then 2 dozen bikes later, I still have the same wife.
Mrs. Norton, you are the best!
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 13:16   #19
Chopshopchopper

Supermoto your CR500

check out www.supermotojunkie.com

Spend about $2000 for your CR500 and
you'll be one of the few with one.
You'll also smoke the sport bikes
in the twisties.

Good luck...
Glenfield MOD 70
Soon to have:
Bushy dissipator
FN P90 I WISH
HK USC
and at least one airsoft full auto.
Chopshopchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 13:18   #20
FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

wow i was reading the dealer story and was saying man thats crap. i wonder how much she paid him to tell u that lol. wow i wouldnt know whether to be mad then happy or happy then mad when i walked out to the garage and saw it. shes got a brain on her to do that to u though. well have fun ridig it. and we all know u will flog it. u cant ride it for a few months and say u havnt flogged it