Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:39   #1
Dan

Need Leather Helmet repair?

I was referred to this guy in CT that works on leather helmets. Needed a fresh coat of paint but I had problems with a few older stickers. I sent the helmet to him and took about a week and a half but he does real good work. Super nice guy, his name is Matt and it's just him and his dad that do the work. Below is a link to his web site. Just thought I pass it along.

http://www.signal50.com/
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:28   #2
KY Moose

My old N5A New Yorker has some wire showing around the rim. Do you think it's fixable?
KY Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:08   #3
gloxter

According to the MSA/Cairns rep to which I sent a helmet to for evaluation in New Jersey, ANY exposed wire renders the helmet unserviceable. More than likely, the leather around the wire has become brittle, but you weren't detailed enough in your explanation. The helmet I sent back had about 4" of wire exposed in the brim (front). If you would like the address and the reps name to have your helmet evaluated for serviceability, let me know. I'm back on duty tomorrow. Just a side note, I do our Department's leather helmet maintenance -gloxter
gloxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:50   #4
mohara

First: If your helmet is less than 5 years old, then Cairns will replace it under warranty.

Second: Depending on how much "wire" is showing, the helmet can be repaired. I have repaired numerous helmets using a high temp. epoxy, molded into the contour of the helmet.

I have yet to have, or anyone else that has had me rebuild their helmet have a problem under extreme heat.

Some will say that fixing a leather helmet that is missing leather, unserviceable, but epoxy is stronger/longer lasting than leather. The only way you can tell with my repairs is the scroll work cannot be fixed/replaced.

Any questions, email ENG54INE@COMCAST.NET

I have pictures of other helmets that I have done.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:18   #5
mohara

Also forgot to add, Cairns will repaint most leather helmets (their is a time frame for this) if the paint starts peeling/falling off after use. The only problem with this is, it is done on their schedule not yours(so may take more than 6 weeks), and they blast the helmet with walnut shells. This procedure works good, but it takes away the smoothness of the leather, and also takes away from the scroll work along the brim of the leather. It really gives it a "rougher" look.