Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-13-2005, 21:49   #1
gatsby

Send a message via AIM to gatsby
usaf: spec ops

hey everybody,
I'm 17 and thinking of joing the airforce to get the school benefits ect. But I really love the idea of the pararesque guys who bail out downed pilots. Does anybody know about or know anybody that is/has worked in this type of unit.

thanks,
dave
Old 03-14-2005, 06:13   #2
jay.shebuski

If you don't mind hang'n out w/a bunch that has "green feet" tatoo'd on their butts (HA)

They are a good bunch and from what I have seen it's a great job.

Get to go to all the "cool guy" schools and the Air Force takes care of you (ie you take care of them)

Go see an Air Force recruiter and talk to him/her about it.
jay.shebuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:15   #3
KY Moose

Hope you like swimming.
The concentrating [of powers] in the same hands is precisely the definition of despotic government. It will be no alleviation that these powers will be exercised by a plurality of hands, and not by a single one. - Thomas Jefferson
KY Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:51   #4
RussP

PJ school is one of the toughest in the Armed Services.

We had a Jolly Green Squadron at my base in Thailand. We flew SARs in Laos, Cambodia and North Viet Nam from there. The PJs lived right next door to us and let me tell you, they played as hard as they worked.

Do go talk to a recuiter. Find out the requirements.

I read recently that the washout rate is high at the school, but, then, if I'd ever been shot down, I would not have wanted second-best coming down to haul my sorry butt into the Jolly Green...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:52   #5
gatsby

Send a message via AIM to gatsby
thanks for the replies
Old 03-14-2005, 13:37   #6
dlupini
Capt

Send a message via AIM to dlupini
TAC-P and Combat Controler are also good options.. if you want the "hard core" aspects of the AF..
Old 03-14-2005, 16:56   #7
rlbgfish173

There are all kinds of web sites for the Elite Forces of all braches of the Military, go check them all out and then ask yourself if you have what it takes NOT for any school bennies.
These forces wash out 50% + and those folks in them are for real not Hollywood fun and games.

HOOAH!
rlbgfish173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:42   #8
RussP

Re: usaf: spec ops

Quote:
Originally posted by gatsby
hey everybody,
I'm 17 and thinking of joing the airforce to get the school benefits ect. But I really love the idea of the pararesque guys who bail out downed pilots. Does anybody know about or know anybody that is/has worked in this type of unit.

thanks,
dave
Look at this...

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/vietnam/cpv.htm

Old 03-17-2005, 11:32   #9
WIG19
Light left on

Quote:
Originally posted by rlbgfish173
There are all kinds of web sites for the Elite Forces of all braches of the Military, go check them all out and then ask yourself if you have what it takes NOT for any school bennies.
These forces wash out 50% + and those folks in them are for real not Hollywood fun and games.

HOOAH!
Well said. Just saw a special on the PJ's; believe their washout is pretty high - long schooling & lots of it, as they're proficient in weapons, etc., as well as being super-dynamic combat medics. You'll spend alot of time in TX. The AF Tac Air Controllers are also some super hi-speed dudes, often detached to other services' Spec Ops teams. Have met some; most impressive fellows. Go for it! HOOAH! ;?
Old 03-17-2005, 13:32   #10
RussP

Quote:
Originally posted by WIG19
Well said. Just saw a special on the PJ's; believe their washout is pretty high - long schooling & lots of it, as they're proficient in weapons, etc., as well as being super-dynamic combat medics. You'll spend alot of time in TX. The AF Tac Air Controllers are also some super hi-speed dudes, often detached to other services' Spec Ops teams. Have met some; most impressive fellows. Go for it! HOOAH! ;?
Amen...

Old 03-17-2005, 16:35   #11
RONNIE J
Lifetime Membership
CLM 300

Send a message via ICQ to RONNIE J

USAF PJ'S

FOLKS ARE RIGHT--YA WANT TO SEE SOME "GET UP AND GO" ADD TAC TO YOUR THOUGHTS----IF YOU REALLY THINK OF INCREASING YOUR CHANCE TO MAKE THE PJ'S RESCUE--TAKE A COUPLE OF YEARS AND GO TO PM OR EVEN EMT TRAINING AND TAKE THAT TIME TO GET YOUR BODY INTO THE BEST SHAPE YOU CAN---WASH OUT IS SUPER HIGH IN PJ- TAC OR ANY OF THE ENLISTED CONTROLER'S THAT FACE FORWARD ACTION..AND YEP, BE READY TO SEE A LOT OF USMC OR ARMY TIME IN ANY OF THE CONTROLER FIELDS..

;f ;f I AM A BIT SLOWED DOWN BUT I OWE MY LIFE TO THOSE PJ'S TWICE OVER AND THE CHANCE THEY GAVE ME TO HAVE KIDS AND GRAND KIDS AS A FRIEND,WHO WORKED IN A BASE POST OFFICE, IN KOREA ONCE TOLD ME "WISH I WAS IN THE REAL AIR FORCE"" YES "THEY ARE TWO"..

THINK LONG AND HARD ON IT BUT WORK TWICE AS HARD FOR IT--YOU WON'T BE SORRY...

RJ
RONNIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 19:24   #12
RussP

Ronnie, glad you've "slowed down"!!!!

Ever hear of these guys: 23rd TASS over at NKP

Veteran's Forum
Veteran's Forum

Yes, some say there are two Air Forces, but together, we get it done...

Can I ask where the PJs picked you up and when...Might have been there...

Old 03-17-2005, 20:31   #13
RONNIE J
Lifetime Membership
CLM 300

Send a message via ICQ to RONNIE J

Quote:
Originally posted by RussP
Ever hear of these guys: 23rd TASS over at NKP
Yes, some say there are two Air Forces, but together, we get it done......
RUSS,
DON'T MEAN TO HI-JACK THE YOUNG FELLOW'S THREAD,,BUT HE MAY PICK UP SOMETHING OF INTEREST----AS FAR AS THE TWO AIR FORCES---YOU BET--IT IS A BUNCH THAT GETS IT DONE,,NOT ONE NOR THE OTHER OF ANY OUTFIT COULD STAND ALONE---BUT YOU ASK ANY GRUNT FROM ANY SERVICE THAT HAS HAD AIR SUPPORT IF HE WOULD WANT TO DO WITH OUT IT*** I THINK NOT*** AND IT TAKES EVER BRANCH OF SERVICE TO GET IT TO THEM NOT JUST ONE....

I NEVER HAD A LOT OF DEALINGS WITH BOYS OUT OF THE RTAB BASES BUT DID MEET A COL FROM THE 23RD IN DEC 1967 I THINK HE HAD JUST MOVED UP FROM LC AND WAS INVOLVED IN A BRIEFING AT TUY HOA RVN---I LOST SEVERAL FRIENDS THAT WERE FAC'S AND HAD SPENT A LOT OF TIME IN THE AIR WITH SOME OF THEM---IT TAKES A LOT OF GUTS FOR ANY OF THE GROUPS THAT GO INTO A FIRE FIGHT AREA IN AN UNARMED O2 OR CHOPPER---I HAVE THE GREATEST RESPECT FOR THEM..

THE 2 MEET-UP'S (AS PULLED UP OUT OF THE JUNGLE) WITH THE PJ'S
WAS IN LATE JAN 68 ABOUT 6 MILES OUTSIDE OF TUY HOA AB...AND AGAIN IN LATE SUMMER OF 1968 NORTH OF DANANG...THE BOYS THAT GOT ME UP IN THE AIR MUST HAVE BEEN PRETTY GOOD--I DON'T HAVE MUCH MEMORY OF IT--I WAS AT CAMP HORN 3RD MARDIV IDASC RECON.. I TOOK AN R+R AT BANGKOK AND BECAUSE OF THE DETACHED DUTY LUCKED INTO A SECOND R+R BUT COULD NOT GO BACK TO THAILAND.

RUSS TAKE CARE AND BEST TO ALL
RONNIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:58   #14
vern23

Everything you need to know about Air Force Special Tactics Operators:

www.specialtactics.com

Go there, use the search function, and learn, learn, learn.
FL Glocker #17
Niners #78
vern23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:40   #15
RussP

Naw, this isn't a hijack...

You know, I only felt unarmed in an O2A two or three times. I mean, hey, you key the mike, call in a few flights of Phantoms or Thuds, I'd say that is pretty good armament.

Oh, you mean rolling in on an active 37mm or 23mm AAA site with only smoke rockets!!! That wasn't guts, that was skill, training, and buckets of adrenalin, and of course, the Grace of God.
Heck, one day the weather was so bad we couldn't get fighters to go after a 30 truck convoy running in broad daylight. So, we took out a few with willie-petes and then I opened the window of the O2A, stuck my M16 out and straffed the bad guys. Went through about 450 rounds...

Course doing that wasn't exactly in the manual, but it sure did mess up some bad guys...

I also flew a few missions with the Sandys and Zorros in the A1-E. Now that was a real aeroplane!!!!!!!!!!!!;f

For the uninformed, the A10 Warthog took over the role of the A1.

Back on topic, Dave, like Ronnie J said, when you talk about wanting to go PJ or TAC, you are making a committment to be walk with some of the best of the best, but the committment is not just to the Air Force, but every other branch as well. Go for it!!

Old 03-18-2005, 21:13   #16
CarlosDJackal

I've served with former and current PJs and those guys are hardcore. Their training is long and hard, but their rewards are many. They have one of the few jobs that are in demand both in wartime and during peace. Whenever mountain climbers find themselves in trouble, they usually send the PJs to rescue them.

Good luck!!
CarlosDJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 07:46   #17
RussP

Plus, with PJ training, you'll have skills in high demand by the EMS community. Combine those with an EMS related, even an RN degree and you'll have an advantage when applying for job opportunities. Heck, you'll probablly be a lifer...;f