Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-16-2005, 23:16   #1
glockfan33

2004 Honda 599

I'm seriously looking to get one of these. Any 599 owners out there and anything to add??? Pros and Cons???

Thanks!
Band of Glockers # 33/ Niner's Club # 333/ Model 1911 Club # 333/ TOP GUN 357Sig Club # 3333/ 40 S&W Club # 3340 (ran out of 3s)/ 10 Ring Club # 3333/ Heckler & Koch Club # 3333/ The Wheelhouse Club # 333/ The Kalashnikov Klub # 33/ Black Rifle Club # 333/ G1 Niners Club # 333/ The Sub Club # 3333/ Collectors Corner # 333/ MilSurp # 33
glockfan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 23:39   #2
DaisyCutter

It's big brother, the 919, was a model I was considering. I'd never owned a streetbike before and ended up in the end with a ZRX1200R. Truthfully, I don't think I'd have been happy on a pint displacement streetbike, though many people insisted that I start out on a 500-600.

The 599 should still be very fast and nimble, with good brakes and suspension. A very good motorcycle. I love the look, but for me, a motorcycle is a luxury item. Just like a boat... If a Wellcraft Scarab only cost $1500 more than a Bayliner, there wouldn't be any Bayliners on the lake. You can step up to bigger badder bike for very little additional money, IMO why not do it? Sure I could get by riding a CR250 in the dirt. But I love the stigma that comes with riding a CR500, it's a fearsome machine. I feel the same way about streetbikes. Go all out. This same "go big" mentality is why I own a FAL and not a AR15... a 3/4 ton truck and not a 1/2 ton... etc... Maybe I have a small pecker and I'm compensating?

Had I bought a 599, the minute after I got it home I'd have been wishing I got the more powerful bike. But that's me. YMMV

Realistically, just because the 599 ONLY goes 135mph and not 150mph like the bigger bike, doesn't mean it's ANY safer. (I know the top speeds aren't accurate, but the point is valid.) Truthfully, I think the greater low-end torque of the bigger bike is a blesing.

All in all, you can't go wrong with this bike. It will be reliable and capable of street riding and even some track fun if you wish.

IIRC, there was a girl here a few months ago that was selling her 599.
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:44   #3
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by DaisyCutter
A girl?! Heh... he called Patricia a GIRL!
;z

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 06:32   #4
chevrofreak

Patricia is no girl, she's a gorgeous woman.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:48   #5
DaisyCutter

Uh-huh.

Moto Club

.....sittin in a tree,

K-I-S-S-I-N-G....
Old 03-17-2005, 10:23   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

There was a great write-up about the 599 in either Cycle World or Motorcyclist recently. It was compared to the Yamaha FZ6 and the old standby Suzuki SV650S. Both old hands and novices rode these three bikes and they were all well liked but apparently the novices prefer the FZ and the 599 over the SV650S because they have lower seat heights.

All three bikes received rave reviews so I don't think that one would go wrong.

Glockfan33, I don't know how big you are, but if you're on the...ahem...hefty side, you are better served with a bigger motorcycle.
Old 03-17-2005, 20:47   #7
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

pretty much a naked F4i (or is it just a regular F4?)and I hear they are very cool.

epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:04   #8
glockfan33

Quote:
Thanks for the reply fellas!

I actually made Patricia a personal offer...I hope she & her husband considers it...

Quote:
Glockfan33, I don't know how big you are, but if you're on the...ahem...hefty side, you are better served with a bigger motorcycle.
fnfalman,

Point well taken.

I'm a little over 200lbs. and about 5'10". Does that make me hefty
for this bike??? ;g Hope not.... ;f
Band of Glockers # 33/ Niner's Club # 333/ Model 1911 Club # 333/ TOP GUN 357Sig Club # 3333/ 40 S&W Club # 3340 (ran out of 3s)/ 10 Ring Club # 3333/ Heckler & Koch Club # 3333/ The Wheelhouse Club # 333/ The Kalashnikov Klub # 33/ Black Rifle Club # 333/ G1 Niners Club # 333/ The Sub Club # 3333/ Collectors Corner # 333/ MilSurp # 33

Last edited by glockfan33; 03-18-2005 at 01:22..
Old 03-18-2005, 09:49   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Glockfan,

I think that you're OK with the bike's power. It's not the horsepower but the torque, specifically the torque band. You're not always hauling butt on it with the RPM high into the power band. The torque matters a lot in easy and comfortable street riding. And if one is were, too "hefty", it doesn't make it easy for a small-engined bike to stop and go.
Old 03-18-2005, 20:12   #10
glockfan33

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
Glockfan,

I think that you're OK with the bike's power. It's not the horsepower but the torque, specifically the torque band. You're not always hauling butt on it with the RPM high into the power band. The torque matters a lot in easy and comfortable street riding. And if one is were, too "hefty", it doesn't make it easy for a small-engined bike to stop and go.
fnfalman,

If I end up getting the 599, I'll try to go to those Sagebrush Cantina & Rock Store rides to PCH with ya...

BTW, I was glancing through those coool pics you took at the Rock Store. Great pics!!!

Best!
Old 04-02-2005, 19:19   #11
Mad Ryan

My dad who has ridden for most of his life told me when I was looking for my first bike to "find the biggest bike you think you'll ever want and then get something with more power" because if you get something small in a couple of months it's well, small. I bought a literbike for my first bike and am now on my second liter class sportbike after selling the first one with 36,000 miles on it and am really glad I listened to him.

I guess the thing is that age and experience have only a little bit of bearing on what bike you should buy. I know several people who have ridden for years and who are middle aged who would kill themselves on my bike, or any 1000 cc sportbike for that matter. They just lack the judgement to ride something with more horsepower than a Honda Civic. I know guys (Like me) who started out on sportbikes who are some of the best riders I know because they learned to ride on really good handling bikes rather than slow, crappy handling POS's.

I weigh a bit over 200lbs and am a bit over 6' tall and when I get on smaller bikes (600's and whatnot) I feel like I'm riding a lawnmower. Even the brand new R-6 I rode the other day was completely lacking in power below about 10,000 RPM's after which it wanted to rip your arms out of the socket. I like the smaller twins like the SV-650 and it's bigger brother the SV-1000 as they have more torque down where you can use it, and in the case of the SV-1000, real horsepower, but if you buy a small bike, as in a detuned 600, don't ever swap a buddy with a 1000cc sportbike on a ride because once you try a literbike, you never want to go back.

I guess that's why I like the bikes like the ZRX and the big SV and the Z-1000 and even the FZ-1, even tho IMO it's fugly, not to mention the 900/1000cc sportbikes. They produce real torque at 4000 rpm's, down where you can use it. Need to get out of someone's way? A little blip of the throttle and you're gone.
Old 04-03-2005, 19:47   #12
hank327

The engine that Honda put in the 599 is not the one from the F4i. It is a detuned version of the engine used in the old CBR600F3 that was replaced by the F4 around 1999. It has different cams that give it more torque lower in the power band. This makes it more useful in normal street riding, but it does mean you give up some on the very top end.

This engine is pretty much bullet proof and should last a long time.
There is something to be said for using a proven race designed engine in a more sedate role than that for which it was designed.

I know of some folks who ride 599s with friends on liter sport bikes, and they are by no means left behind on group rides.
hank327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 22:03   #13
Mad Ryan

Quote:
Originally posted by hank327
The engine that Honda put in the 599 is not the one from the F4i. It is a detuned version of the engine used in the old CBR600F3 that was replaced by the F4 around 1999. It has different cams that give it more torque lower in the power band. This makes it more useful in normal street riding, but it does mean you give up some on the very top end.

This engine is pretty much bullet proof and should last a long time.
There is something to be said for using a proven race designed engine in a more sedate role than that for which it was designed.

I know of some folks who ride 599s with friends on liter sport bikes, and they are by no means left behind on group rides.
Pretty much everything Honda makes is bulletproof. And as far as getting left behind on group rides, that has little or nothing to do with it. On a group ride, at least most group rides, everyone is riding fairly close to the speed limit, and hitting corners at an entry speed that is comfortable to them. In a scenario such as that, a bike like the Honda 599 is fine. Where you will end up wanting more power is when you get used to having it, and you want to 1) get out of someone's way in a BIG hurry or 2) when you are on said group ride and the pack repeatedly nails it leaving the corners and you are left floundering because everyone else is on an R-1.

I've been the slowest guy on a group ride because I loaned my bike to another rider and was stuck on a ZX-6 (The 636) which is a blazing fast bike, but compared to having another 20 lbs of torque or so and another 30-40HP, it's a dog. To the guy that owned it, it was the fastest thing he'd ever ridden, but once he got on my ZX-9 he flat walked away from me on the mountain roads. There's no replacement for displacement. On the right track, or the right road, the better handling bike wins, riders being equal, but nothing beats whicking the throttle open in a 2nd gear corner at about 6-7K and unleashing about 110hp to the rear wheel on exit as you're standing the bike up. At this point you're just begining to build horsepower, but you've already got more than any 600 supersport has at it's peak, and you're just getting started. Plus, since you're hitting corners at 6K RPM's instead of 11K RPM's like you would on your 599 to make the same kind of hard exit the bike is much more relaxed in mid corner.

I guess that's the big reason I don't like smaller bikes. Yeah, you can ride them with bigger bikes and keep up, but you spend all your time wringing them out and shifting, and I'd rather just ride.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:16   #14
wanderinwalker
6 of .44

Send a message via AIM to wanderinwalker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Ryan
I know guys (Like me) who started out on sportbikes who are some of the best riders I know because they learned to ride on really good handling bikes rather than slow, crappy handling POS's.

I weigh a bit over 200lbs and am a bit over 6' tall and when I get on smaller bikes (600's and whatnot) I feel like I'm riding a lawnmower. Even the brand new R-6 I rode the other day was completely lacking in power below about 10,000 RPM's after which it wanted to rip your arms out of the socket. I like the smaller twins like the SV-650 and it's bigger brother the SV-1000 as they have more torque down where you can use it, and in the case of the SV-1000, real horsepower, but if you buy a small bike, as in a detuned 600, don't ever swap a buddy with a 1000cc sportbike on a ride because once you try a literbike, you never want to go back.

I guess that's why I like the bikes like the ZRX and the big SV and the Z-1000 and even the FZ-1, even tho IMO it's fugly, not to mention the 900/1000cc sportbikes. They produce real torque at 4000 rpm's, down where you can use it. Need to get out of someone's way? A little blip of the throttle and you're gone.
The middle paragraph left is why I can't in good conscience get rid of my SV650S for a 600 Supersport. I like having torque at lower RPMs. I actually like being able to ride the little bike off of its wheels, and I can transition to bigger, better-handling bikes with a fair amount of ease.

As for getting a ride on a 1000 and not wanting the smaller bike back, I can say not everybody feels that way. I got to test ride my buddy's 2002 Gixxer 1000, and if was a fun, fun, fun half an hour, but I wanted the comfort of my SV back at the end. My body just refused to be comfortable in the race-track rack at less than 45 miles per hour. It handled great, had boatloads of power, great brakes, suspension was awesome (I'll either upgrade the bits on my SV or get a bike with better suspenders some day) and it was LIGHT!

The 599 would be a fine bike to learn on and ride around for a long time. I guess it depends if you group ride or ride alone. I ride alone, so I don't need power to keep up with other riders and the SV is capable of dropping any vehicle commonly encountered in the Northeast, so the 599 by default should be capable of greater performance. If you must keep up with liter-class riders, you need a liter-class bike.

BTW Mad Ryan, glad to see you mentioned the Z-1000. IMO one of the greatest looking naked bikes out there, and I bet it's a joy to ride too!
Old 04-04-2005, 19:53   #15
Mad Ryan

Quote:
Originally posted by wanderinwalker
The middle paragraph left is why I can't in good conscience get rid of my SV650S for a 600 Supersport. I like having torque at lower RPMs. I actually like being able to ride the little bike off of its wheels, and I can transition to bigger, better-handling bikes with a fair amount of ease.

As for getting a ride on a 1000 and not wanting the smaller bike back, I can say not everybody feels that way. I got to test ride my buddy's 2002 Gixxer 1000, and if was a fun, fun, fun half an hour, but I wanted the comfort of my SV back at the end. My body just refused to be comfortable in the race-track rack at less than 45 miles per hour. It handled great, had boatloads of power, great brakes, suspension was awesome (I'll either upgrade the bits on my SV or get a bike with better suspenders some day) and it was LIGHT!

The 599 would be a fine bike to learn on and ride around for a long time. I guess it depends if you group ride or ride alone. I ride alone, so I don't need power to keep up with other riders and the SV is capable of dropping any vehicle commonly encountered in the Northeast, so the 599 by default should be capable of greater performance. If you must keep up with liter-class riders, you need a liter-class bike.

BTW Mad Ryan, glad to see you mentioned the Z-1000. IMO one of the greatest looking naked bikes out there, and I bet it's a joy to ride too!
Z-1000 is a great bike. I swapped a guy on one one day and it was like riding my ZX-9 with dirtbike bars and without as much high end. Really cool bike, and IMO, prolly the most capable nekked bike aside from the Aprilia Tuono which will kill it on a curvy road. I would have liked to see a little better suspension bits on it, as the stock stuff lacked total adjustability, but all in all it was a great ride for the bucks. I'm a big fan of the Honda Superhawk and the SV-1000 too.
Old 04-04-2005, 20:04   #16
Mad Ryan

Quote:
Originally posted by wanderinwalker
...snip...The 599 would be a fine bike to learn on and ride around for a long time. I guess it depends if you group ride or ride alone. I ride alone, so I don't need power to keep up with other riders and the SV is capable of dropping any vehicle commonly encountered in the Northeast, so the 599 by default should be capable of greater performance. If you must keep up with liter-class riders, you need a liter-class bike...snip...
I guess I'm a product of our west coast highways. We have thousands of miles of twisty roads with nobody living on them, it's just BLM land and much of it isn't even patrolled aside from the once or twice a day that the county sheriff drives down it. The weather is sunny and warm 6 months out of the year and sunny and cold most of the rest of the year with a little rain thrown in, so I ride year round as do most of my friends. The sportbike you see probably 8-1 out here is the R-1 with the various other liter bikes filling up the rest of the slots. Very seldom do you see anyone show up to a ride on anything but a big bike because there's just alot of open road out here so that's what people tend to favor.

Naked bikes and detuned bikes are really slow sellers in this market because nobody likes to have to work that hard to keep up. Even SV's don't sell that well and I try to talk people into them as learner bikes because they handle so well and actually (Because they have a fair bit of torque) go pretty fast in the twisties. Up north in the Portland area you see alot more of them because people use them as commuters. I'm going to get my wife on one next summer (an SV-650) but she wants an R-6 or a Ducati. ;Q
Old 04-05-2005, 07:21   #17
wanderinwalker
6 of .44

Send a message via AIM to wanderinwalker
Man, you West coast riders soooo make me want to move out there!! Gotta finish college first, and perhaps I will.

Around here in Old New England, the real problem is congestion. Our roads aren't particularly great and very rarely offer the opportunity to push past 60-per, excepting the Intersates and some of the larger state highways. There are houses, people and cars EVERYWHERE!! The most common machines over here are Harleys and metric cruisers (obviously, we don't go all that fast very often), with the 600 sportbikes being the choice of the younger crowd such as myself. There are a few 1000cc+ I4 machines on the roads, but they're actually not all that common. Even on the SV there are few places I can run to redline once over 3rd, and those few places are very short lived before dumping you back into residential areas. I suspect riding around here would be like riding around the suburbs over there, but we have to do it practically ALL the time that way.

I still stand beside my thought that the 599 would be a nice bike, though my preference is for a little more weather protection!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:32   #18
DaisyCutter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Ryan

Naked bikes and detuned bikes are really slow sellers in this market because nobody likes to have to work that hard to keep up.
Some naked bikes will keep up.

Moto Club

I went on my first "ride" with a group of guys this last weekend. The ironic thing was, the oldest bike was the "fastest". After a few turns here's what we had.

1st, 1996 CBR600 F3 (my dirtbike buddy)
2nd, 2002 ZRX1200R (mine)
3rd, 2002 Yam R6 (buddy's buddy)
4th, 2004 Yam R6 (buddy's buddy's buddy)
5th, 2005 Yam R6 (buddy's buddy's buddy)

It's obvious to me that street performance is largely dependent on the rider.

With uniformly decent riders, the placing would be nearly the reverse, with the big ZRX in last place. I'm a street novice, and was well within my comfort zone, maybe going at 60%, and I was running away from most of these guys. Especially the last two, after a couple turns we didn't see them anymore. We'd hit traffic and stop for a while and a few minutes later they'd show up with harrowing stories of near misses. ;Q

The cool thing was, that I could come out of the corners at 7,000RPM and eat those 600s.

Last edited by DaisyCutter; 04-05-2005 at 08:35..
Old 04-05-2005, 09:08   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Very few street riders who own sports bikes can actually use 50% of the bikes' capabilities. So, unless it's a long straightaway ride, naked bikes will keep up with the sports bike just fine.

PS Don't tell the Ducati Monster S4R and the Triumph Speed Triple AND the MV Brutale that they're suppose to be "slow". Also don't forget to tell BMW that their soon-to-be-introduced K1200R naked bike is also suppose to be slow too.
Old 04-05-2005, 20:16   #20
Mad Ryan

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
Very few street riders who own sports bikes can actually use 50% of the bikes' capabilities. So, unless it's a long straightaway ride, naked bikes will keep up with the sports bike just fine.

PS Don't tell the Ducati Monster S4R and the Triumph Speed Triple AND the MV Brutale that they're suppose to be "slow". Also don't forget to tell BMW that their soon-to-be-introduced K1200R naked bike is also suppose to be slow too.
Lots of naked bikes are fast, but many of the naked bikes up untill recently didn't handle as well as their fully faired siblings. It's just a matter of cutting costs, as in the sportbikes get all the trick suspension bits, as well as the twin spar aluminum frame, which unless you're talking European bikes, which spec the same frame for their naked bikes as the ones on some of their sportbikes then you were stuck with a heavy, flexy, undersprung, detuned bike. Don't get me wrong, there are a whole bunch of really cool bikes but if you're talking about doing fast group rides and track days then sportbikes are easier to ride that way.

As far as the MV being fast, if it's based on the 750 Agusta then it's not particularly fast. The Agusta I rode at Motocorsa in Beaverton OR handled amazing but a stock Gixxer 750 would stomp all over it for half the money. I've heard their new literbike is pretty awesome tho.

I guess I just see alot of people getting talked into buying bikes they aren't happy with. I have two big dealerships in town here with good friends working at both and every time I go in there it's always the same. Some dude buying his first bike new (Mistake 1) is looking at a tame "naked" bike when what he really wants is the sportbike of the same displacement. His buddy who rides is telling him that if he buys the sportbike (say it's an R-6 with say... 106hp peak) he'll kill himself vs. dropping nearly as much money on the FZ-6 which has almost as much power, and will kill him just as fast. He now makes his second mistake, he buys the bike he doesn't want because some jackass told him to, rather than buying the bike that is lighter, handles lightyears better, breaks better, is what he wants in the first place, etc.

I'm not for people buying a crazy fast bike for their first bike, but I will say that how fast your bike goes is directly proportional to that little twistie thingie on your right clipon/handlebar. You are in control. Do you want a bike that you can trust to hold a line if you hit a corner too hot and have to ride it out? Or do you want a bike that wallows and won't settle down under moderate cornering because the manufacturer needed to cut corners to hit a price point and installed substandard suspension and a flexy steel trellis frame?

My wife is talking more and more about wanting a bike. I'm going to get her an SV-650 to ride till she gets over the usual newbie mistakes such as dropped bikes and whatnot, and then she can get whatever she wants. She's probably going to want the new R-1, as that seems to be what fits her, and I have no fears about her being able to control herself. I'd rather her have the best handling, most powerful bike I can get her that fits her stature so she can get out of people's way and easily ride in the crazy traffic we occasionally have to put up with.